Looking for some honesty. Has this game been criminally overlooked?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by feedtank, Jan 9, 2013.

1. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Well said fellow respected member of the TA forums. If only I can copy/paste this message into every forum thread that has got sickening IAPs and is monitored by the dev my soul will be liberated.

2. feedtank

feedtank Well-Known Member

Our purpose for extra shots was just to give an option for people to pay to get past a level (see http://kottke.org/12/07/god-mode-in-app-purchase-for-ios-games). I can only assume you take the same offense to the Mighty Eagle. I do get your point though. It's a valid opinion. No need to debate further.

3. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Well, if you are SO sincere, why not follow the same model as employed by Puddle (a Steam game)? They give you 4 "whines" at the start of the game. When you get stuck, you can use one up. And you can reclaim said Whine by going back and winning said skipped level.

Come on, own up. $$$ played a factor here. I think a mod should close this thread down cause it obviously is a ploy by the dev to get more (sympathetic) attention to his game.

4. feedtank

Of course it did. I'm just saying the opinion in that link affected the decision.

That would be fine with me.

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I tried it. It's a perfectly fine game. I think you do yourself a disservice, however, by using such hyperbole in the thread title. Is this criminally overlooked? No. Not even close. It's a fine game. Nothing more, nothing less.

6. feedtank

Point taken.

7. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I think the fact that the developer immediately outed themselves as such demonstrates his intention is in the right place. I don't think it's fair to talk him down as a developer or for "being greedy."

Was this thread a ploy to advertise their game? Sure... but is there anything wrong with that? They were honest at the start, and that goes a long way. If you were a developer, I can guarantee you would do the same thing as a last-ditch effort to get your game recognized. Marketing on the app store is extremely difficult, especially considering the overall economy of the App Store is possibly the most volatile market out there.

As long as the developer doesn't resort to shilling, or pretending to be a consumer that loved their game (I think that's the same thing as shilling, actually...), I don't see anything wrong with the way they're trying to get their game recognized.

Regardless, developer, I like your game a lot. I am in agreement with Gabrien on the subject of the IAP. You're comparing them to utilizing the Mighty Eagle, but it's not the same. If you really want to be compared to the Mighty Eagle in terms of fairness, make it so you can have a certain amount of level skips when you download the game, and if someone runs out, they can purchase a pack of 3, 5, or 10 for like $0.99, $1.99, and $4.99 respectively (don't copy that pricing model because truly it's a terrible one, but you should understand the point).

But the game, so far, doesn't seem difficult enough to need those extra shots. So what I can surmise is that the buying of extra shots is supposed to be for people to obtain all the gems in a level. That seems to be the only difficult thing about the game, is obtaining all the gems in a level with the default allotted shots. If that is the case, where you are pointing people to in-app purchases so they can get 100% in a level, as it honestly seems nigh impossible to do so otherwise, I passionately disagree with that IAP approach.

I'm sympathetic towards the developer (or empathetic... whatever), but in a bout of rational thinking, I just don't see the game getting so difficult that someone will have to utilize the in-app purchases. To get 100% on the levels, though... I don't know. Maybe it's just my ineptitude at this kind of physics game, but I don't see it as being a possible conclusion for someone without utilizing extra shots. That would be an unfortunate use of IAP, and I have a distinct feeling that's what it will come down to for many people, regardless of the intention of the developer.

8. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Interesting thread.

I mean, the game is fun, at least the first 10 levels. High production values, good physics, nice aesthetic... It's like the others said though: today, this is one game amount thousands - and it easily gets lost. I have over 12 folders full of games yet to TRY currently on my iPad. It's rare that one of those games gets more than 5 mins play time before I decide whether I stock it for later play or delete. And I'm on the ropes with your game (especially since I now hit the pay wall).

Had Pangolin come out in 2008, you would be a millionaire. In 2012/2013, I don't think it's going to be raking in nearly as much.

If you don't mind sharing, how many copies have you sold?

9. feedtank

I don't mind. We've made just under $90 so far.

10. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    Yeah. :( That's got to be tough. This whole independent developer in the App Store thing is not all farts and rainbows...

I mean it's so easy to be a critic. You put your heart and soul into developing this game, and then people so easily dismiss it with a "meh" and move on. Or worse yet, they accuse you of false reviews, fishing for publicity, stealing assets from tiny wings, and setting up manipulative IAP all in one thread - and all from the comfort and safety of their couches.

And yet, you've made only $90. You look for some honest feedback on why your game didn't work, and you get grief.

Well. I do feel for you. I not sure how you can make this a bigger success, short of pumping in some marketing dollars. Do you have any family or friends who would be willing to invest a little in you, with the chance of return? I any case, I wish you all the best. You've made a good game, and I hope people see that and pick it up.

11. You win the Internet. I agree completely.

12. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    I wasn't sure if this was the thread to report bugs or anything, but in case it is:

I just experienced a bizarre glitch, I think. I was playing the first level of Education, and each time I played it, the Level High Score was higher than the last, and I wasn't attaining a high score each of those times...Any idea what's going on there?

13. feedtank

I appreciate the support. Thanks for asking and putting things in perspective.

14. feedtank

Thanks for letting me know. Good timing as we're planning on releasing an update soon. I have an idea about what it might be, but definitely want to figure it out. I'll PM you if you don't mind explaining what you saw.

15. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    You're welcome! :D Awesome possum :)

Speaking of possums:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin

I was unaware a Pangolin was a real animal! It's like if an armadillo and a dragon had a baby. Regardless of the ridiculousness that situation may convey, it's a very interesting-looking animal. It's kind of cute. :eek:

16. Rafark

Rafark Active Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Wow, that's really true.

+1

17. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #37 retr0spective, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    I played your game for a bit and really loved the art style. As it was such a pretty looking game priced at free, I was expecting a heavy-handed use of IAP so it did not bother me overly-much when I encountered it, though I agree that such a move will really turn off most folks. Personally, I prefer to purchase a moderately priced game, although there are notable exceptions such as Punch Quest (which keep in mind was game of the year material that garnered very little revenue because it was released for free). In any case, my main reason for deleting the App so quickly was not the IAP, but the movement. The specific two finger placement to create platforms was very inconvenient for me and detracted from my enjoyment of the art. With a different mechanic and a little bit more personality, you could have produced the next Sir Benfro's Brilliant Balloon.

18. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    I wins! Can i has moar internets pleez?

19. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Just want to say that this type of IAP doesn't bother me at all, because I know that it's not a 100% requirement that I pay IAP if I want to continue playing the game past some nominal point.

If you're advertising a 'free' game, then it's worse to only offer 2-3 levels and then an iAP roadblock at that point. Because essentially the game really isn't free.

20. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    That is why it should clearly be labelled with a demo/lite sign on the title. I have seen MANY devs advertise their games as "free" but it actually isn't. F2P on the other hand actually allows you to play for free all the way through.