Stuff that makes you run the other way when you see it in a game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Avaniar, May 3, 2017.

1. ndnNinja

ndnNinja Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Amurica
    One thing that infuriates me is how as soon as I launch the app the game services thing pops up asking me to sign in. I don't care for leaderboards at all and would like the option to sign in, not an auto sign in. I've since made an account just so the popup goes away.

2. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Kairosoft, space themed, 1gb games, 5 star TA rated games

3. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Because...Spaceplan, Death Road, Binding of Isaac, Reigns, The Quest, Monster Hunter, Crashlands, Clash Royale, and I'll just stop there....are all known to be such terrible games and definitely not worth of 5 stars from Touch Arcade.

Since the thread is "run away when you see" I truly hate that you've deprived yourself from some of the best titles on iOS in the recent year or so.

4. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland

That can be annoying, though you should only ever see it a maximum of three times per app, that's the rules.
    Unfortunately though if we use Game Centre in our apps, Apple stipulates we show the login screen as early in the app as possible. Makes sense I suppose, get it out of the way early so it doesn't interrupt a game.

Unfortunately the best way of dealing with Game Centre, whether you want to use it or not. Is, as you've discovered, to just login to Game Centre and be done with it.

5. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    I usually run away the second I see stamina,the game playing itself,huge incentive to buy with real money,timers,but I did enjoy for a while Shadowverse,Toram Online but most I own is ports of old rpgs.I also stay clear of clickers or any thing made by Gameloft ever.So yes I really need more premium stuff and actual free2play that are actually worth it for a rpg gamer who is both pc,handelds(3DS),consoles(ps3/4/PSP) and wonder why I can't get something other than ports or banner saga worth playing to make it a worthwile gaming platform.

6. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I'm joking. But in all seriousness one person's taste is not the same as another. You look at films for that- what is a top top movie for one person, isn't for another.

7. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Not in the mood for playing and i'm bored in the train...

Build, guild, social, team, manage, farm, card, clicker, turn based (98%), energy (93%), 2048, mmorpg, PRO in description or worse under icon, *coughs loud and hides quickly under the bed* final fantasy :eek:

Opening any thread and reading one of those words and i'm mostly done within five seconds. This works even faster after a quick look at the screen shots. Almost nine years of ios gaming lets me recognize the usual suspects.

8. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland

..... Takes note of words not to include in next game description :D

I kid of course, I hate all of the same things any other gamer does. Which means I won't include them in my games. I'd rather make no money than piss people off.

There's obviously millions of people out there who disagree, gamers and developers alike. Otherwise there wouldn't be so many of those things on the AppStore and they wouldn't make as much money as they do. But still, ewww icky.

I was playing a newly released game the other day, I won't say which. I was really enjoying it, until I got to a point and tried to progress to the next level only to be told I had to wait, or pay up.
    No way to get around it, no option to pay to get rid of all of that nonsense. Deleted. Damn shame too, I liked it.

9. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    *Final Fantasy fan drags Qwertz555 out from under bed and precedes to dish out punishment with ridiculously oversized anime sword*

Ah, I love Final Fantasy, but I get that it turns a lot of people off. I agree with most of the rest, though - apart from turn-based. Mobile is perfect for turn-based games - play a few moves, then drop out. Warbits, Skulls of the Shogun, X-Com, most RPGs, any chess variant... Can't play platformers and shooters all the time!

10. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    #30 sobriquet, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    LIES!!!

Seriously though, I agree with what you're saying about turn based games. I can also definitely see why the whole idea of telling a game what to do one step, sometimes literally, at a time as opposed to having real-time control over it would be a turn off. It was for me until I played warhammer quest and became completely addicted to it.

Qwertz listed one of mine though: "PRO" right on the GD icon. That and "3D". It's an immediate giveaway.

11. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    GULP!
    *a headless chicken now runs across the room* :D

12. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    In my case I love mmo,rpg so seeing that many mobile developers use it in a bad way by making it mostly or completely automated sadden me so sadly I love turn based,mmo or strategy rpgs but seeing that everytime games having that in the title or the description are automated and pay2win make me sad.I also like arpgs(found out while playing Diablo III) so the fact that none of my favourite kinds have good games for them that are not ports make me angry.I also despise VIP systems or any kind of systems that encourage buying with real money.