GRAVITY FREEZE - physics puzzle with unique controls

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by RobinK, Jan 4, 2014.

1. RobinK

RobinK Active Member

Jun 30, 2013
    #1 RobinK, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    Hey Guys,
    I want to show you our new game: Gravity Freeze.
    It´s a physics puzzle game in space with unique controls! You have to rotate your device to change gravity and touch the screen to fall down.
    Your goal is to collect potions and reach your jetpack to proceed to the next level.

Release date: 9th of January
    Price: 0.99$ (no IAPs)
    Comatible devices: iPhone/iPodTouch

Here are the trailer and some pictures of it.

We will hand out Promo Codes for the first 5 people who give us honest feedback on our trailer/pictures in this thread :)

Attached Files:

2. ThoughtfulGamer

ThoughtfulGamer New Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Hi, here is my honest feedback on the trailer and the pictures.

I like the level design, and there seem to be a nice variety of things to interact with like the black hole portals, walls, and the stormcloud bumpers(?). I also like the way wind is shown with the blowing leaves.

Do you only interact with the game by changing the gravity direction and by deciding when to fall? Could you maybe also have some elements onscreen that you could activate, similar to e.g. the wind blowers in Cut the Rope where you tap them to activate them?

About the control scheme: having to tilt the device makes it hard to play the game while moving, since then I need to hold the iphone/ipod stable to avoid dropping it. Could you alternatively have a control option where you don't rotate the screen, but e.g. swipe a gravity arrow to change the gravity direction?

About the graphics: I think they're nice overall. I like the design of the alien, and the onscreen elements are of nice quality. However, I think the color scheme of the background could be brighter and more varied - now it's perhaps too muted, and only uses the same greens and blues in all pictures.

The music in the trailer is nice and works well as background music for a level. I hope there's a variety of music tracks across the levels.

3. Cynuyt

Cynuyt Well-Known Member

Nice physics puzzle, want to play it, control look good :)

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Looks like a lot of fun, I like the colourful artwork and it looks as though the amount of levels provide plenty of content to keep the player going for considerable amount of time.
    The controls look fun too but like thoughtful gamer I play a lot on the move so some kind of touch option in a future update would be great.
    Love the fact that you don't plan to have iaps. It's getting harder to find puzzlers that don't have them.

Love the soundtrack too, are there plNs to make it available for purchase?

Hope the launch goes well.

5. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    Like the design of rotate and the sound track is good as well.

6. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I really do like games that use the accelerometer/gyroscope well. This game looks like an excellent addition to it. Nice artwork, pleasant soundtrack, and I would love to try it. :D

7. RobinK

RobinK Active Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Promo Codes sent!

Thanks for your replies.
    @ThoughtfulGamer:
    By now you only interact with objects by falling down. But you will see there is a great variety of levels so it won´t get boring. It keeps the controls as simple as possible. I will think about some other type of objects for future updates.
    You can set gravity by rotating your device or set it via button controls (but rotating works best)). But your idea with swiping to set gravity is really great. I will think about it for a future update.
    The music you can hear in the trailer is the theme music and is played in the menu, since it would be too anoying for actual gameplay. There is a slower version of it and another music track you can hear during the game.

@cloudpuff: I think I will upload the soundtrack to my website. Since I´m on a business trip now I´m going to do this on sunday. I will keep you informed.

Regards

Robin

8. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    Just play several levels of the game, it is very good.
    It is a casual puzzle game, the graphic and sound is great, the control is easy, just touch hold and release, the rotation design is to change the direction for the main character to fall, the game is very suitable and easy to play with on iphone.
    Nothing bad just i often miss touch the pause button when rotate upside down.
    Thank you for sharing the game.

9. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Managed to play a few levels.

It's not as easy as it looks, don't let the cute cartoon graphics fool you, these puzzles require some logical thinking. I dunno why but it kind of reminds me if cut the rope but without cutting ropes.

I didn't think it would work but rotating to set the gravity is actually a nice little concept that has been accurate each time for me, the holding and releasing of the finger to control the aliens drops and stops is where I had a little difficulty. But that's because of me, I've not used this type of controls before so like anything new, I just need to get used to them.

I'm excited to see what other obstacles come as I advance through the puzzles and thanks for the code.

10. RobinK

RobinK Active Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks for your feedback guys.
    @cloudpuff: I tried my best to design challenging levels. Most time its easy to reach your jetpack. But to collect 3 potions you really have to think about your strategy.
    I've also seen some tester having problems with freezing gravity at the right time. Most people think the alien would fall some meters further after releasing theire finger. But this would be inaccurate. So it has to stop right when you release your finger.
    But since this control scheme is completely new you have to get used to it. But this wont take long.