Universal build games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by amroc, Apr 25, 2010.

1. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    #1 amroc, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
    I just got myself an iPad (finally! :D), and I'm in the UK so I can't buy iPad only apps until the iPad is released over here (I don't really want to start another account).

Thought it might be useful for me and others in my position if people would like to list some of the (good) games already out there that are universal builds.

Cheers!

*Edit*

Oh I just realised I can purchase iPad apps, by changing the store to US, selecting iPad, and then going back to the UK store... oops

2. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Caster HD
    Cliffed XL
    DropZap...well, I love it anyways :)
    Implode XL
    Isotope
    Metal Gear Solid Touch
    Parachute Panic HD
    Parcel Panic
    Pocket Ants
    Solitaire City...by far the best solitaire game app in the AppStore IMO, definitely the best on the iPad.
    Zombie Attack: Second Wave XL

Kinda sad more developers haven't gone the universal app route.

3. kali

kali Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 2, 2009
    Senior Software Engineer
    While I can understand not wanting to double dip, I'm actually happy they don't. If I am playing on an iPad I don't want the extra storage cost of the resources for the iPhone version and vice a versa. Call me crazy but I don't mind giving developers extra money for their work to develop an iPad version either. This makes it more likely that the dev will want to do the extra stuff to make the iPad version something special. It is not trivial to convert an iPhone app to iPad and do it well.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I don't mind buying an ipad version of a game I already have but I want to see more than just a graphical difference. For the most part, I am happy with the way my iphone games look, so simply putting out an HD version that costs several times more than the game I already own is not worth it to me.

I think that iugo has set the bar pretty high with their XL versions. I already own most of their games on the iphone and to get them for free on the ipad with added extras, such as one system multiplayer is a great deal.