How many touches at once for the iPad?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by steamrollerstudios, Feb 1, 2010.

1. steamrollerstudios

steamrollerstudios Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Hey guys, I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer to. How many touches can the iPad handle at one time? The iPhone can handle 5 I think. But with the bigger screen I would think the iPad would do more so you can do more 2 handed gestures. (Think playing a keyboard or mixing sound levels with both hands)

So how many is it? Has anyone found the info in the SDK or anywhere else? I'm sure the multitouch interface is better but how many touches can it really handle at once?

2. motitas

motitas Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    You don't wanna know
    well, in theory, as many as the amount of track points on the screen (saying your touch is the size of one square in the grid). But I really don't know how many touches the interface is programmed to take..

3. steamrollerstudios

steamrollerstudios Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Yeah that's the million dollar question for me. I know it can take a touch anywhere on the screen. But If I put all 10 fingers on screen at once will it be able to handle it? I want to develop a game that would require at least 10 fingers on screen at once. (2 different people) But I don't want to develop anything till I know it can handle it.

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    99% sure the answer is 5.

5. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    10 would be awesome, but I guess it's still "only" 5.

6. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    The most I've run across in a game is 3, and that was in quantum collapse. I would however imagine it could take as many as you want seeing as it is a new method introduced in the iphone, but again I have no clue that's only a guess.

7. Dylan1696

Dylan1696 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Photographer/Graphic Designer/Electronics engineer
    Debbie did it here in '78
    10 fingers would sure take up a lot of real estate on the screen. My thought would be that it is probably possible. For example, lets say I am making a guitar hero type of game that is 2 player (one person on each side of the device) there is a dividing line between bolf halves of the screen. Each players functions and HUD/gameplay screen visuals are on their own sides. each can use a hand (5 fingers for fretting) and a button along the side of the screen to strum the notes when they hit the "sweet spot." I don't see why this couldn't work, but I'm sure someone will try to see if it is possible.
    Just thinking aloud.

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    thanks for clarifying that it was more than 1 person with 10 fingers!

9. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #9 Stroffolino, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    I have a tank game demo that lets you play a vs. tank battle on a single ipod - there are virtual controls on both sides of the screen. I wrote it as kind of a joke (it's never been released), but it's something that would actually work well on an ipad.

There appears to be a technical limitation where at most 5 simultaneous touches work. So either do your homework and review the documentation and/or try it on a device before investing a lot of work into designing a 10-finger game only to find out after the fact that it doesn't work on real hardware.

10. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
  11. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    You might find it worthwhile listening to the latest toucharcade podcast about the iPad, because this is discussed among the developers.

Also, I believe the limit is actually 6 on the iPhone.

12. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I hope the limit is increased to 10 for ipad.

Current limit for ipod/iphone is definitely 5.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1202484/how-to-force-iphone-ipod-touch-to-handle-more-than-5-touches-at-the-same-time

Not only is a 6th touch not registered, but it can interfere with already tracking touch events.

13. AdriVetasoft

AdriVetasoft Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Game Designer
    Belgium
    Yes, the iphone/ipod touch is limited to 5

it's very rare to have a game or a app with 5 fingers at the same time on the iphone. ( maximum use is 3 or 4 )

The alternative awnser is that in any case, for the iPad, we can make really good stuff with 5 fingers max...

But as a developer, more like 10 should be much better.

14. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I believe it's a limit with the size of the screen, not a technical limit. They don't allow more than five fingers, but the limit is six; 3 fingers on each vertical side.

Note: I don't know this for sure, I'm just repeating what a pretty successful App store dev seemed very certain about.

15. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Hmm, I think it's more than 5. Quantum Collapse uses 8 or so at one time if I'm not wrong, but I may be.

16. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I haven't toyed around with the latest iPad SDK but I tested this limit before when I downloaded the SDK last year and I discovered that you can only track up to 5 touches at a time. Furthermore, if you place a 6th finger on the screen, it stops ALL the touch events from registering and you have to lift all your fingers and start all over.

I'm not sure if I'll ever need to track so many simultaneous touches in one of my own apps but I'll bet that the Smule Ocarina dev would be extremely interested in being able to track 10 touches at a time on an iPad :)