chinese translation

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by sino.app, Oct 22, 2009.

1. sino.app

sino.app Member

Oct 22, 2009
    #1 sino.app, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
    sino.app is a small translation firm in shanghai that specializes in chinese translation for iPhone OS software. at present, we are working toward building a network of partnerships with iPhone OS developers. sino.app is staffed by (1) american undergraduate from UCLA, and (4) chinese PhD students from fudan university. every member of the team is highly proficient in both mandarin chinese and english.

in an effort to raise brand awareness for sino.app, we are currently offering our services free of charge. no work on your end; we take screen captures and send you a .txt file. get into china while you can, before chinese developers replicate your app in mandarin. allow sino.app to open the door-- to a market of over one billion.

let us know if we can translate for you.

andrew seid

sino.app
    sino-app.com
    shanghai, china
    [email protected]

2. bossman696

bossman696 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Graphic Designer, Commercial Printer
    Alabama
    Translation services...

Are you offering to translate App descriptions or say text in the APP itself?

I am currently interested in having my APPs description translated into Chinese.

What would be required on my end to help you guys get the notice you are seeking?

3. sino.app

sino.app Member

Oct 22, 2009
    #3 sino.app, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    Hey Bossman,

We can do both 'app descriptions' for the iTunes App Store page, as well as translate actual apps.

If, upon completion of the job, you are happy with our work, you can mention sino.app in the app credits, make a press release for the translated update that mentions sino.app, or tell any developer contacts you may have about our service. We would also like permission to list you as one of our partners on the sino-app.com website.

Just let us know which apps you would like translated and we can get started!

Andrew

sino.app
    sino-app.com
    shanghai, china
    [email protected]

4. bossman696

Sep 11, 2009
    Alabama
    #4 bossman696, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Excellent Job!

To anybody reading this... this company did an excellent job with our game translation. I way very impressed with their speed and professionalism. To anyone thinking about a Chinese translation, now is the time to do it, before the new market gets crowded!

5. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Second that! Great Job all around!

6. Silver Josh

Silver Josh Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I was very curious about sino.app. I see their effort to copy the ngmoco logo and I found it cute, but I ended up to translate my descriptions in chinese with DYS, as usual. They've always offered me a very good price when I ordered multiple languages and I'm also very very satisfied with the results.

Thanks to touch arcade, because I found this thread some time ago: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=1244&page=3

the chinese market is not that big yet, but has some potential.

let's see what happen.

7. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    quick question = i had a friend translate one of our descriptions to chinese. i would like to see how it looks now :) i changed to the app store; but, i only see the game in english (no chinese text) when i'm in the chinese store. is there something specific i need to do? or is 3hrs not enough time for itunes to update? maybe i need to check within 24 hours.

8. bossman696

Sep 11, 2009
    Alabama
    I was wondering the same thing. I actually uploaded my translation this morning and when I check the Chinese store late this afternoon as suggested by someone here on the forum, it showed up in english. I was wondering if we could even view it in Chinese from here (US).

I did see the names of several names of other APPs show up in Chinese

Does any one know....

9. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i thought you should be able to changing to china in the store itself. unless there is some localization parameter forcing everything to be shown in english. it would be nice to preview the results so i can verify everything looks ok with my chinese native speaker.

10. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

I believe you need to change the language of the computer itself to be able to read Chinese, Japanese etc. At least that is what other devs have said in the past I'm pretty sure.

11. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    wow.. that blows. is there no other way to see? surely there might be some itunes scraper sites that reflect the way the chinese truely see it.

12. bossman696

Sep 11, 2009
    Alabama
    The only thing that gets me, is that much of the store was displayed in Chinese... just not the descriptions. A lot of the text along the bottom and even some of the app names where displayed in chinese.

13. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i changed my localization to chinese - went to itunes and looked around. everything was in chinese - but our description has not been updated and neither has yours.. anyone here have a chinese translation we can look at?

14. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Just going to chime in here... most Chinese people DO have a rudimentary understanding of English. Also, maybe it takes really long for the Chinese characters to propagate a change? I know it takes me some time to write letters in Chinese, and I'm still learning.

15. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    managed to successfully sort this out - you do need to set the language on your environment to chinese and then open iTunes and select china. the chinese localization does show up as expected now. you can also view it within iTunesConnect under the preview option for those wondering.

problem solved.

16. sino.app

sino.app Member

Oct 22, 2009
    #16 sino.app, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    Hey bossman696,

My computer's language is set to Chinese and I am logged in with a Chinese credit card account; I can see the description for Flight Deck in Chinese and it looks great. I hope that you can get the text in the app itself updated soon, and that this is the boost you need to get a head start in the Chinese App Store!

Andrew

17. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    in your opinion - if the application has minimal language elements, is it necessary to translate everything? or would the application description be sufficient? changing screens for localization means submitting a new binary and that could mean a 14+ day delay.

18. sino.app

sino.app Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Hey Aaron,

As you mention, based on the amount of text within an app, translation matters more in some cases than in others. If an app contains only the words, 'START' and 'SCORE', then delaying the release of an app for translation purposes would likely be a mistake. For this type of app, translation of the description is most important.

However, as text within an app contributes substantially to user understanding and enjoyment, it becomes important to translate the app itself.

A prudent strategy might be to push out the initial release of an app as quickly as possible (with description translation), and include the actual app translation as part of a later update.

Andrew

19. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    Andrew,

exactly my thoughts.. just wanted to confirm it. the best strategy is to release first; then update for any localization requirements. you could just imagine the delays apple would have if they had to validate every binary you release - but i guess you could also use localization functionality to handle this as well. would be interesting to know how other people deal with this.

20. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Are any of you guys translating the game title as well? I would think a Chinese (or any foreign language) user would be more inclined to click on an app that has a name in their native language. Would that be correct to assume?