Recommend A Chess Game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CaryMG, Feb 9, 2010.

1. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

#1 CaryMG, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    Nothing too much like "Battle Chess".
    Not that I 'm knocking BC -- InterPlay is one of the most underpraised gamecompanies of all time -- it's just that
    that's not what I'm looking for right now.

Just simple graphics with a strong AI behind it.

Thanks in advance!

:)

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Two I play and enjoy:
    Shredder
    Chess Elite

I hear Fritz has the strongest gameplay on the iPhone though I haven't played against it myself.

3. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

The "Shredder" description says: ... the most successful chess program ever ....

What does that mean, exactly?

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    HellifIknow. :)

I should also note that I have heard that Shredder plays faster at higher levels than Fritz. I've seen several plays of Shredder against other games, only one of Fritz (beating Shredder.)

I mostly play Shredder, but mention Chess Elite, because it's got great online features, and was the first good Chess game I got for my iPod Touch. (And it has been improving, they just added an analysis mode.)

5. CaryMG

CaryMG Active Member

lol

I understand.

Well, after much searching around, I think I've found a winner -- Chess Elite.
    It's just want I want -- nice-yet-simple graphics, good AI & WiFi/3G multiplayer.

Thanks for the help!

6. 99Games

99Games Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    Hey Drelbs

Thanks for referring Chess Elite :)

Hi CaryMG

Thanks for trying out Chess Elite. Do let us know your experience and any feedback to improve the game. What is your screen name on Chess Elite community?

We have started a contest for Chess Elite players, that lets them win a MacBook Pro;)

Do check this link for more details:
    http://www.99games.in/chesscontest

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    "My" Chess for iTouch= Archon Conquest. :cool:

8. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Fritz is smarter, and prettier, than Shredder.

I have Fritz, and I absolutely love it.

But if you want to play online, Chess Elite might be a better option.

9. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I have Fritz and Shredder, and both are great.

If you're more of a beginner, I would get Fritz as it has a lot more assist options. I would say it has the cleaner graphics and you can pass and play on the same device with another person using it.

Shredder has an option to play in certain set situations--sort of a challenge mode built in. It also probably has more realistic graphics.

I have no idea which has better AI. They both kick my ass, but I would say I probably beat Fritz a little bit more consistently. However it could be that it simply plays more realistically to its ELO (I play at a low level).

Bottom line, I would probably recommend Fritz if you are still a beginner, but Shredder if you're more of an expert.

But again, both are great.

I've also heard Hiarcs is awesome as well, but I haven't tried that one.

10. jen12323

jen12323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I like shredder because it includes 1000 chess puzzles. I find myself solving the puzzles more than playing chess games because they are quick.

11. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    It's tough to beat HIARCS for playing strength on a mobile platform such as Pocket PC or iPhone OS. And there is something to be said for a program that chooses the strongest moves, especially if you are using the program for study and analysis.

http://www.hiarcs.com/iHiarcsChess.htm

12. RJ

RJ Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    California
    Hey guys, mind if a i jump in.

Is there a 3D Chess game for iPhone yet? I've only seen the 2D top down ones...and a 3D chess game would be cool. I'm just sayin'. :p

13. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Chess with Friends?

14. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Gameloft made one. It's pretty, but not very good otherwise. Although it may be alright for a very casual chess player.

15. gatizo

gatizo Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I would say that HIARCS plays the most interesting chess, an opinion that I know many people share, and it has very good options overall, although I have to say that I prefer Shredder's presentation and sense of polish. Both will automatically adjust their playing strength to yours and both are built on established, successful computer chess engines.

Fritz, too, has a good pedigree in computer chess but personally I really cannot recommend the iDevice version with its background music and OTT sound effects which I feel totally ruin a good engine by presenting it like a console game.

Of course, thanks to the wonder that is App Store economics, all the above games come in cheaper than their equivalent versions on other systems. What's more, there are also excellent free options that are worth considering: both Glaurung, which plays a very strong game indeed, and the feature-rich Chess.com app are easily worth more than their $0.00 asking price!