Game Developer's Conference 2009 Roll Call

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arn, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    So who is going to the Game Developer's conference (http://www.gdconf.com/). It's in San Francisco March 23-27th and will also correspond to the Independent Games Festival (http://www.igfmobile.com/) where all those iPhone games were nominated.

Blake and I will be there. I was just curious to see which of the iPhone gaming developers here are going.

arn

2. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    I wish. Budget, family and fear in loathing what Apple may be up to with it's mobile gaming plans keep me in Seattle with my wet, refreshing, cold air and drip coffee that would give most people the scoots.

3. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    I'll be there with Phil (Galcon). Looking forward to it. :)

4. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    any updates on this? It's coming soon.

arn

5. jshmrsn

jshmrsn Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Mobile Game Developer
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I wish I could go. There are a ton of speakers I'd love to listen to. Even though I'm a published developer, I'm only 17, so I'm not sure if it would be practical for me to go yet. And the money is also a killer. Maybe if SciFly II is successful I'll go when I am 18 with those funds.

I would have loved to have heard Wolfgang's talk on his pre-pass lighting model to name one of many...

6. IUGOME

IUGOME Well-Known Member

We'll be there!

7. IUGOME

IUGOME Well-Known Member

GDC iPhone Dev Mixer?

Hey! It's be great to have a night where us smaller devs and media buddies (that means you Arnold =) ) get together and ahve some drinks, shoot the shit, etc.

Anyone interested? I'm going to ping some devs and see what sort of response I can get...and see what night works for everyone. We'd love to meet y'all!

Oh! and let's call it the Apple Developer's Union! Hahaha!

8. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    Damn I would love to go and show off my new game in development :)

9. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I'd love to be there, but the consulting business has me tied down this time. :D

Maybe next year... by then I should have the chance to release another game or two into the wild ;) Sitting down to talk about the market, tools, and techniques over beer would be a lot of fun!

10. Midnight Status

Midnight Status Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I went in 2007 to make a pitch but I'll have to skip again this year. I need to actually work on the games.

11. firemint

firemint Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Making games :D
    Melbourne, Australia
    Myself, Rob (CEO) and Kynan (Development Director) are getting on a plane for a ridiculously long time and coming over from Australia, we'd love to meet up with you guys!

12. gnizama_Mitch

gnizama_Mitch Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Game Design
    California
    I'll be there, showing off Sliders and attending the 2 day Game Design Workshop. PM me if you want to meet up and discuss game design, development etc..

13. Australia! I was about to say Japan was too far for me to make it over...well, there went that excuse.

14. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

We'll be there - in force ;)

15. IUGOME

IUGOME Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on a night that would work best for everyone?

16. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I've never been to GDC so don't know how it's structured. I'll be there from Sun - Sat, and Blake from Mon to Fri. So any nights in between work for us.

arn

17. IUGOME

IUGOME Well-Known Member

As a starting point, how does Wednesday or Thursday eve sound, say around 8pm?

Pick a night. I'm thinking of locations...suggestions are quite welcome. :)

18. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    lol!! too bad im not a dev (yet!). im dying to see you and all the other devs.

19. gnizama_Mitch

gnizama_Mitch Active Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Game Design
    California
    We dont want to pick a time that will clash with any events:

http://www.gdconf.com/events/descriptions.html

Given Wednesday is the Game Developers Choice Awards, and Independent Games Festival Awards, I'd say Thursday or Friday night are ideal.

20. rcloudsoftware

rcloudsoftware Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    I really want to go, but those registration prices...are you kidding me?

Since I live in San Francisco, I would really love to have at least one off-site meeting, where those of us who live in SF (and I know there are many) can meet up with all of you who are flying in, and participate in some of the idea sharing, project showing, people meeting goodness.

I know these conferences typically produce lots of great info that will be posted all over the net afterward, but what I really want to be a part of is the socialization & networking.

111 Minna is a good spot, just half a block away from the center, though it will likely be crowded as all hell. Is there any guess of a count of how many people we might get? That would help make the venue choice easier...

Thanks
    Ryan