iPhone Epoch - Post-Apocalyptic Robot Combat for iOS

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by UppercutEd, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UppercutEd

UppercutEd Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    #1 UppercutEd, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011

Update: Epoch has been released.

New game thread is here:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=112866

This "upcoming" thread is now closed.

====

[​IMG]

G'day all, I'm Ed from Uppercut Games.

We're very excited (maybe too excited?) to be announcing our first iOS game: Epoch!
    [​IMG]

• Fight through the crumbling ruins of a once-thriving civilization as a freshly-rebooted robot that finds itself caught up in a mystery from the past.
    • Choreograph the hectic and highly-cinematic action with innovative and intuitive swipe controls!
    • Take cover, dodge, select targets, use special abilities, and launch countermeasures against your foes!
    • Smash a wide variety of mechanical enemies as you struggle to fulfil your ancient programming!
    • Bolt on new tech torn from your fallen adversaries, or trade for parts in the Scrapyard - will you be a ninja-like sharpshooter or an unstoppable juggernaut?

We're using the excellent UDK, as we have a lot of experience with it from XCOM, Bioshock, all the way back to Tribes: Vengeance. Also, it's easy to develop with and makes the game look fantastic :)

The official release date for "EPOCH" is to be confirmed.

To learn more about EPOCH, follow Uppercut Games @uppercutgames on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/uppercutgames or visit the game page www.uppercut-games.com

Looking forward to updating you more as development continues :)
    Cheers,

Ed

2. TravisR2H

TravisR2H Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Looks incredible. Love the idea of specializing your character. How are the controls set up. It would be good to see a video of the controls.

3. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    #3 UppercutEd, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks Travis!

It's primarily swipe-controlled with the occasional button press: we've worked hard to make it suited to the platform.

We'll be releasing more info and a "how you play it" video in the near future, so please stay tuned :)

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #4 squarezero, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    Looks great, and the idea of using swipe controls for a cover shooter makes a lot of sense (in a way, it's not that far off from how games like Vanquish work). Nothing against virtual sticks, but this could be a nice compromise between an on-rails shooter and something with more freedom but less precise controls.

5. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    Release date? I want this NOW :)

6. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Color me excited. This looks phenomenal and fun. I'm not as picky as others when it comes to controls and a sandbox nature...

I enjoy fun gameplay and top notch visuals, melded to create something that's cream of the crop.

The talent involved here, speaks volumes for quality and output.

More and more, we are seeing amazing experiences from Square Enix, Rockstar, Sega, EA, Epic/Chair, Never Winter nights talent, Bioware talent, Lionhead talent, Irrational/2K talent...

All arriving and using their pedigree in fabulous iOS

7. ChuckMe

ChuckMe Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Australia
    Infinity blade but with guns and robots? win!!!

8. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    This thread requires bumping, and possibly some new informashunz. We are tantalized, please feed our desire Mr. developer!

9. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Yep, gotta say that I've been aching for this since it was first announced a while back. With the exception of Infinity Blade and Dungeon Defenders at the back end of last year, there's been precious little quality UDK offerings. But it certainly looks like Epoch will buck that unfortunate trend. Looks very cool.

Hey Ed, I know there's not a confirmed release date yet, but can you give us a general idea? Are we talking weeks or months? Q3 or Q4?

Either way, I can't wait!

10. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Had a tweet from Uppercut last night that said ey were aiming for a Q4 release, still plugging away and will be releasing more preview stuff closer to release

Well excited for this game!!

11. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Me too bud!

12. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    Hi all, just surfacing briefly to say that yes, we're still aiming for a Q4 release!

We've been cranking very hard now and we've almost got the last of the features in, so it's basically polish and balance time.

Cheers,

Ed

13. ChuckMe

ChuckMe Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Australia
    This just oozes awesomeness. Really looking forward to it.

14. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Awesome. Glad this is universal

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    G'day, Ed! Will your all too excitedly burt apparently lovingly crafted game (which looks like one of the most exciting iOS releases yet) be released for all iTouch devices?

16. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    Hey Ayjona, we've got EPOCH running on the iPhone 3GS through to the iPad 2. Basically, if you can play Infinity Blade, you can play EPOCH.

17. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    Any iPad2 enhancements over the other devices because of the more powerful gfx chip?

18. UppercutEd

Jul 11, 2011
    Definitely, madebymadison.

For example, iPad2's hardware allows us to display higher-resolution textures, per-pixel specular, normal and environment mapping on our characters.

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Then I can, and I will ;)

20. Spank-a-phone

Spank-a-phone Active Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Trailer looks awesome... I would like to see the actual gameplay tho..:)