HDMI out and gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by killercow, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Here's an example of a platformer I got recently for free called Bean's Quest.

Attached Files:

2. Coolness! Now, I gotta question for you. I have a Gameloft Duo Gamer controller, which works GREAT, but it is only for Gameloft games.

Now that I got a full console, I want to try icade. Wireless is best, don't want the regular one. Is this the best one? I gotta check too if it is on sale at amazon, but here is a link for anyone's info.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ecea/

Please let me know is this what I should get for my needs? And how do you like it, and which games are your favorite with it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Just sold a thrice-used icade for $40.

4. Why, you didn't like it? Was it the regular one for the bitty?

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The 8-bitty is a great little device BUT some of the mapping of the buttons are terrible. Thankfully the main red buttons are used for MAME which is great, but other games, say Mos Speedrun and some other platformers use 'jump' as the top right shoulder button which is bad.

I've mostly used it for MAME but if theres a few games you want me to test it with let me know and i'll tell you how the button configuration is.

Its frustrating, i do like the controller and i got it dead cheap ($15 sale) but some of the mapping is annoying.

6. #46 Connector, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    Reposted from Wild Blood Thread

Originally Posted by Appletini
    1. Well, no it isn't, because not only can I not tell how you've set up your iPad (brightness, etc.), it's absolutely tiny in the screenshot and not useful for comparing much of anything - all I can tell is that it looks blurry, discoloured, and nothing like a live iPad screen showing Wild Blood in action. In fact, it's actually a little dishonest to try to use it to convince people how much "better" the TV is when the TV in your screenshot is clearly in focus and the iPad is an unfocused, blurry mess - just compare the text on both screens (this is a problem with many of your screenshots).

2. Other than the overly washed out TV screen (which I acknowledge is a camera issue), the other problems remain the same (aspect ratio, stretched textures, etc.) irrespective of the iPad in question.

3. I challenge you to define what you even mean by that without referencing somebody else's tables of "reflectivity indices", "colour gamuts" and "interociters" that mean nothing out of context.

4. I gain nothing by playing Ticket to Ride on a screen the size of a wall, for example, and the game doesn't look better just because it's bigger.

5. I could just as easily say that the iPad's screen "beats" any TV by virtue of being smaller, more portable, and integrated into the device using it as a display.

6. The thing here is that I have looked at all of your screenshots, and while the games certainly look bigger, they don't really look better at all, let alone "much better".

7. (and become a bit defensive when people aren't as enthusiastic as you are about them)

8. when you're screwing up aspect ratios and awkwardly stretching textures in order to get it there.

-------

Response

1. That is my main point in my previous post which I had to mention. This is in a very poorly lit room, with two light sources (tv and ipad), lots of blur due to not being able to keep my iphone 4 camera (cruddy camera) steady, being compressed severely when it goes to TA, and many other reasons. When you posted that your ipad 4 looked better than that tv picture, of course it does under all of these harsh conditions. Comparing them in my pictures is the only kind of fair way. But of course it is not fair, cause of the size, higher contrast the tv gets, and both screens are blurry. I try to compensate by jacking my ipad all the way up and the tv brightness down, but it's too much of a headache just for my photos. But I do agree with you that these are not tests in anyway, they are just for people's interest.

2. Aspect ratio and stretch out textures are no problem if you use normal or wide mode. Of course you have borders, but it plays decently well if you are close to the tv. Also airplay games use full widescreen with no stretching as you can see in my picture attached. Note what the ipad is showing, and note the wireless bluetooth joystick. Looks like a real console game.

3. This point, I got no idea where you are heading. You say don't use scientific evidence like contrast ratios, screen sizes, brightness levels, etc, but this doesn't make any sense to me. It depends of course alot on what kind of tv you have, but on my tv, it is obvious that the contrast, brightness, colors, and size are much better. So if you point is that it's my opinion, then fine.

4. There are a lot of games that you will be surprised how much funner they are on the big screen like catch the arc, beat hazard, reckless racing 2, repulze, the list goes on. Puzzle games it's a out 50/50 whether you can play on tv due to control issues. But yes, I feel that if it is playing on the tv, I prefer it.

5. Yes, that is accurate, you forgot to mention that ipad retina is better than hdmi 1080p.

6. Bigger, better in my opinion, that is all.

7. I only responded to your post because you mentioned that you were comparing my tv picture to your ipad 4, and stating the camera issues involved etc. Then I said compare the retina ipad and tv in the picture only. Now you say that's not fair cause the ipad looks so small, blurry, and dim. Really don't know what more to say on this issue, than to try it, if you don't like it, that is fine by me. There have been a ton of people buying hdmi on this board, some of them very senior members or mods here. I am not trying to boast here about hdmi, I want more people to start using an ipad in console mode with a wireless joystick, so we all can get a better experience, and developers such as Gameloft will create more console games like Wild Blood, Asphalt 7, or Nova 3.

8. You can use normal, wide (2x), zoom (4x), panorama modes on the tv to get correct aspect ratios. The stretch mode is the only one where it stretches. I prefer it in about 75% of my games, but if you want you can use the other modes with no stretching. Of course there are a lot of airplay games which are wide screen compliant too that have no stretching issues.

Hope this helps, and hope you try it sometime. See ya!

Attached Files:

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Big thanks to Connector for creating this thread, it got me looking into the HDMI connector, mine arrived today (Got one for my ipad, one for my ipod touch 5), LOVE IT !

Easily connect it, watch tv/view comics/books/play games on the TV. Love it !

I've got an 8-bitty so its great just to start the ipad with the game and then sit back and play a game (icade compatible) on the 8 bitty

Works so well, wasnt sure how it would be but its great.

I bought mine from the official Apple store as 'some' of the cheaper ones on Amazon had some bad reviews.

But it just opens up the ipad now to be a portable console ! Great to view photos on it, browse catalogues on the TV, love it

8. I wanted to also let you know about a new stylus technology called hybrid styluses. Reprint of one of my past posts, great stylus to use along with hdmi tv.

The link is here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=167721&highlight=Stylus&page=2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkyMarc
    I appreciate all the responses. Looks like the Ampen Hybrid will meet my needs (ARC Squadron was one of the games I had in mind for it ). Thanks again!

-------

Yeah, let me know how you like it. But trust me, hybrid is where it is at, and I have tried over 30 styluses. My first stylus was a Targus, and while i is ok, once I got a hybrid, I stopped using all of my other styluses unless for art or handwriting.

And the ampen hybrid comes with a removeable dongle that attaches to the headphone jack, which I don't usually use, but sometime is nice.

Also, some of those one dollar styluses on amazon aren't bad, some as good as a targus, but they break from time to time. One time bought one of these, traded this to my friend for a targus. Then I traded that targus for a bamboo stylus from another friend.

Suffice to say, I got the $30 bamboo stylus for less than a buck. Bamboo is made really well, but it is heavy and big. But the accuracy of the tip is awesome. Fun to use once in a while.

I also have a brush stylus which is great for shmups, and is super lightweight. But not good for multipurpose cause it covers more of the screen.

Anyway, trust me, you will love the ampen hybrid, for gaming it is number one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008MOHLVC

Attached Files:

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Which stylus is best for art apps?

10. #50 Connector, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    Airplay uses more of the tv screen so many games will display as full screen or close to it. Some games will use the ipad as a display screen like real racing 2 does with a huge map on it instead of displaying the game. The tv is also full screen.

So far, I just got my hdmi converter which supports airplay too, I have noticed the following games, will try to keep it current.

Dungeon Hunter 4
    Real Racing 2
    Asphalt 6+7
    Beat Hazard
    Nova 3
    Modern combat 3+4
    Pilot's path
    Race illegal
    Sonic Racing
    Rage hd
    Chopper 2
    Metalstorm
    Max adventure
    Pinball HD
    Quarters!!!
    Sky Gamblers - Rise Of Glory
    Sky gamblers - storm raiders
    War Pinball
    TouchGrind BMX
    Ducati Challenge HD
    Zombie gunship
    Fifa 12+13
    Touch tanks 2
    Bugdom 2
    cromag rally
    enigmo 2
    nucleus

Airplay is totally awesome, lets me play my ipad as a console. Some of the later titles I added from previous posts, so if there are errors or omissions, please post and I will add them to this list. Bugdom 2 screenshot, notice airplay on tv with no buttons!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. #51 Connector, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Well, it is a little fuzzy and maybe technically airplay means wireless, but there is a classification of games called airplay compatible games which means that it supports tv widescreen. I suppose maybe the proper term for it is tv out widescreen with a different image on ipad supported games, but most people seem to just say airplay games.

Those airplay games play the same way on hdmi,vga,or rca out, so that is why I say hdmi airplay game, suppose technically maybe it should be written hdmi tv out widescreen with a different image on ipad, but to me, it is easier to just refer games in this way.

Here is a good explanation of Airplay, Airplay supported games, and Mirroring.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.ph...&id=1347605891

HDMI works in the same way as apple tv, just not wireless and with no lag. But with an awkward cable.

Anyway, it might not be correct, and since this area is kind of a tech demo in a lot of ways, I think for myself, it is easiest to use the term airplay games, mirrored games, hdmi airplay games, and hdmi mirrored games. Probably not technically right, but the easiest and most concise.

Here is a picture of Nova 3 in hdmi airplay, notice the ipad has dual screen capability, and the Gameloft wireless joystick at the bottom. I have noticed that airplay games seem like they run at a lower resolution (or maybe 720p instead of 1080p) than mirrored games, but they are widescreen which helps alot.

If you have any further questions or comments, I am going to reprint this in the hdmi thread.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173262

Attached Files:

12. #52 Connector, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Cool video about playing Pilot's path with hdmi airplay, and an iphone as a joystick.

YouTube: video

13. #53 Connector, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    Reprinted from another thread (Boulder Dash XL)

Yeah, the game is definitely worth Ninjackid's buck, it has a lot of different game modes, control modes, and is a pretty solid package overall. There are both a more modern day graphics version and a retro version, and also arcade and puzzle versions of the game. So yes, nightc1, it would be worth your time to lock it in.

Wasn't really going to buy this cause I thought it was just going to be a retro port but Metcasket's comments got me curious, and the game is sound and well worth a buck. It's not just a retro port, but a modern day remake with a retro mode available for those that want to play total old school. Now about the HDMI tv report? Well here it is.

Two things make this game a little hard more difficult to play on hdmi tv. First, I usually play about 75% of my games in stretch mode so it will show fullscreen on my tv. This game though, the blocks and characters are essentially square, so when I stretch them, the blocks and characters look kind of rectangular.

In most games, it doesn't really make a difference, but in this game since the game is basically a square grid with squares, it does look a little stretched in stretch mode. I shall attack a picture of the stretch mode in this post, and one with regular aspect ratios in the next post. So I kind of favor playing on my retina ipad a little.

However, I can play with regular aspect ratios which is shown in the next post, but unfortunately there are significant borders around it, and since I don't have a huge 50 inch screen or bigger, I have to get a lot closer to my tv than my standard 12 foot viewing distance where I usually sit. I can sit close too, I do for my shmups cause many are portrait only, so I do move a chair there and my hdmi cable to play (about 6 ft from my tv) and this works great.

Also, another HDMI problem with this game is, it has an odd HDMI bug (maybe for apple tv too) where if I exit the program, if I relaunch it, it shifts the game to portrait for no reason. To get around this, I have to double tap for the multitask bar, x it out, and restart the game completely. Kind of a weird bug, but I did find a work around.

So unfortunately, I can not really recommend this game 100% for HDMI or apple tv, but it does play well enough, especially in the regular aspect mode. I will attach 2 screenshots, the first one here is the stretched version.

My new signature for the next couple of days... Check out my new signature tagline below:

C

Attached Files:

14. #54 Connector, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    The original aspect ratio hdmi tv version. Notice the large amount of borders, it is only using about 3/4 of the tv screen. So it looks alot better like this. When I use original aspects in any of my mirrored games, I usually go sit fairly close to my tv, this compensates alot. But it is a little of a hassle cause I have to move a chair there and also move my hdmi cable. Usually where I normally sit at 12 foot (on my john), my cable is always there, ready to plug in whenever I want to switch from ipad only to hdmi tv for viewing.

Attached Files:

15. I'm not quite sure what your question is, but I think it is basically how my new ipad with hdmi tv plays compared to the latest consoles. I currently don't own a console, so my ipad basically is my console for now. I do go over to my friend's house once in a while to play His ps3, but he mostly has FPS games and Street Fighter games, which I enjoy, but I'm not a huge fanboy of either genre.

I kind of prefer more arcade, action rpgs, driving, motion, and puzzle games. For console games, of course consoles are better, but it is really fun for me to play on my ipad hdmi tv out. With so many games, that are cheap, and many free, it is a blast everyday to play them, and test them on tv.

Also, I have a Gameloft wireless joystick, and use the iphone joypad app, so I get a tech demo console of sorts, and really a wireless bluetooth joystick is the bomb!!!!

Puzzle games are a little hard to play on my tv cause I have to focus on the ipad so much. Games like Repulze, catch the arc, or shmups, play really well with my ipad on hdmi tv out. Other games like Wild Blood, Nova 3, or Asphalt 7 play GREAT with my wireless duo gamer joystick.

So yeah, if I had the desire to pluck down an extra grand for a console and games, I probably would play a console and my ipad at home. But personally I would rather spend that $1000 on a new ipad 5 or 6 and another bigscreen tv. Plus you can do so much with an ipad on tv like youtube, word processing, web, photos, music, etc, that I enjoy just having one portable device for everything.

I had an xbox before with hundreds of games, mame with thousands of games, and even had it installed in my car too if I wanted. But honestly, everytime I bought a game for $50-$60, i would grow bored of it in a week. So now I spend a buck for a game, and even if I get bored of it in a week, I am happy. Plus there are tons of free games you can try out every single day.

Anyway, it's a tech demo of a console, but it works, and is hella fun, and for $50 for the hdmi adapter and 25 foot hdmi cable, it has been the best investment that I have made for my ios gaming experience.

16. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Look at the Jot Touch, there's so many that choosing a best one is a bit hard but have a look at a few reviews. Supported by a lot of art apps.

Pressure sensitivity (2000 levels), palm ignore, etc http://adonit.net/jot/touch/

17. #57 Connector, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Sorry MidianGTX, forgot all about your question. Since the ipad was never meant to be an art tablet with stylus, there really isn't all that good stuff out there for artwork. As September mentioned, the Jot stylus is probably the best that you can get. Also, the Bamboo stylus is quite popular, but it is a regular smallish rubber tipped head.

I have tried both, currently I own a Bamboo, I traded a 30 cent stylus to a friend, got his targus, traded that to another friend for his Bamboo $30 one. The Bamboo has a rigid and heavyweight design, and a smallish rubber head. Artists say they like the weight and length of the pen, which it does feel nice. But the weight is kinda too much for me for a daily operation. But I like the feel, and the precision is good, but really it is more like a regular tipped stylus just made for artists.

The Jot styluses though are very unique in that they have a plastic plate which it rolls on, and looks like a pen. When they first came out, I bought one and tried it out, the Jot mini. The precision was great, and if you need small strokes like in handwriting or fine art, this is the way to go.

However, there were a couple of things I didn't like about it, the chiseled inlet rubbed against my hands, so it was irritating. Also, the harsh feel of plastic on my ipad glass made me cringe, if you tried to use the jot for gaming, it seemed as though it might scratch or damage the glass. Which it probably would never do, but the thought of it was irritating. So I returned it.

Of course, I only really tested the jot out for handwriting, not so much art cause I'm not an artist, but it probably is the best to try at least for art at this time. The bamboo feels good and has a nice stroke, so it is worth considerstion too. I'm not really an artist, so it's really hard for me to say which I like better for art. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Good info, thanks :)

The precision is what I need most, so perhaps the best solution would be to get two, one thin and one slightly thicker.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Be aware that the Jot mini has no pressure sensitivity afaik, unlike the more expensive Touch. I don't think the Bamboo stylus does either, which I found really odd considering they're produced by Wacom.

20. #60 Connector, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
    You don't like the left screen right screen controls like Repulze, I think it works good now in Flashout 3d.

TV - game in landscape model, controls you don't have to look at the ipad screen, games I can stretch to full screen with little aspect ratio problems, good enough framerates, 3d graphics look even better on tv than my new ipad, good colors and contrast so tv ehances them, airplay if available, and other factors.

Almost all motion, driving, platformers, runners, dual stick, most shmups, most sports, many rpgs, most action play pretty good on tv. Puzzle games not so much due to controls.

Some if my favorite tv games - Catch the Ark, Repulze, Table Top Racing, Wild Blood, Asphalt 7, Nfs most wanted, Real Racing 2, beat hazard, mutant storm, Nova 3, crumble zone, Deathsmiles, raystorm, alpha zero, dariusburst, dead trigger, arc squadron, minigore 2, total recoil, crazy taxi, vs racing, bike baron, boost 2, skyriders, riptide, virtua tennis, nhl 2k11, orc vengeance, wraithbourne, lili, street fighter tekken, super hexagon, whale tail, tiny wings, time surfer, ski safari, luna bears, sky hero, jetpack joyride, polara, robot unicorn, ronin, banana kong, mikey Shorts, archibald, run roo run, swordigo, kung fu rabbit, jazz, rayman, mutant mudds, one tap hero, spycorp, sonics, etc...

But some games with 3d graphics and speed and simpler controls work well on tv. That's why this one looks and plays so much better on tv than on my new ipad.

Attached Files: