Localised versions (itunesconnect problem)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by strawdog, Apr 8, 2009.

1. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

Just noticed that our game, which is in Eng, Fre, Ger, Spa & Ita is showing up as just Eng in iTunes. The app details page just shows (en). I have checked the "Localization" section of iTunesconnect and all the localized text is uploaded and the screen shots and logo are all assigned.... yet they still don't show up in iTunes. I have searched iTunesconnect for an "yes I really want to activate the localized versions I have defined" option but can't find one anywhere.

Anyone help with this? Have I missed an option somewhere to activate localised versions?

2. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Just to confirm, is this an in-game localization, or the app store description localization?

3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Have you gone into iTunes and switched over to these other countries to check the text directly? If you're only looking at iTunesConnect you're only going to see english text in your confirmation area.

Note some countries (Japan in particular I think) will still show english text even if you visit the Japanese Store in iTunes. Google to read more about that.

4. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    In that case, these threads might be helpful:

http://www.iphonedevsdk.com/forum/promotion-techniques/5240-app-store-localizations.html

http://blog.airsource.co.uk/index.php/2009/03/11/app-store-localizations/

5. strawdog

To clarify I am talking about iTunes/iTunesconnect. We have uploaded the localised app blurb in the various languages but when you go to the French iTunes it still shows English in addition iTunesconnect shows the game as (en).

6. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    You have to set the languages you support in the plist file. Then iTunes get's the languages from that.

So even if you localize in Chinese, until you tell the plist it won't show up.

There's a "Localizations" part of info.plist where you add your locs to.

7. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Thanks! I think that helps everyone. BTW: You have made a ton of cool games!

8. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    That's not entirely correct, especially in this context.

He's speaking of the iTunes app page - it's not showing the localizations - nothing to do with the actual app itself.

Also, assuming you localize the actual app using the normal method (ie. the country.lproj folder method) you don't need to add anything to the Info.plist file.

9. strawdog

#9 strawdog, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
    Nothing to see here.