Universal Polara - (by Hope This Works)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Platyrrhine, Oct 10, 2012.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    That trailer looks freaking intense. Definitely one to get tonight.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The last few weeks have been so refreshing. A whole slew of games have been released with no IAPs at all and this week seems no different. :)

As far as the ads are concerned, yeah...not bothered at all by them. There isn't any "Tap to Continue" thing after loading is complete, so I don't see how anyone could accidentally trigger an ad. Good stuff.

3. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    Absolutely...and honestly we really just want to make games that are GAMES and not vehicles to just gouge money. We aren't completely comfortable with IAPs in the sense that they are being used by mobile devs.

I can't stress this is why it's so important to support people that want to give you worth rather than deflated hope. Please make sure to tell your friends and whomever else you think might enjoy a game like this. Just trying to be transparent, but the best way to ensure quality is to support your favorite products :D

We're trying to build a business out of this and we really just want to have a proper healthy biz model that benefits everyone. We honestly hope you enjoy the title. It took us a little under a year to put together and it's been a long and bumpy road...you would not believe the stress, loss and passion that has oozed out of this project.

Now that it's about to be released, and people are excited, it is blowing our minds :)

4. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Doe it have retina display on iPad 3?

5. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    POLARA IS LIVE IN THE US

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/polara/id551864396?ls=1&mt=8

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    impunity (ɪmˈpjuːnɪtɪ)

— n, pl -ties

1. exemption or immunity from punishment or recrimination
    2. exemption or immunity from unpleasant consequences: a successful career marked by impunity from early mistakes

3. with impunity

a. with no unpleasant consequences
    b. with no care or heed for such consequences

7. HTWGames

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    #27 HTWGames, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    Yeah killing without consequence of punishment.

8. Ajstadel

Ajstadel Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Picked this up and played the tutorial and level 1. Love what I've experienced so far! Great work guys!

9. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    #29 drloony, Oct 11, 2012
    Ya the begining of this game alone kicks ass. Does anybody know if the color you hit the checkpoint with does anything? eg. Hit all checkpoints with blue.

10. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hey man, I'm already 35 levels or so in. To my knowledge, she CANNOT slow down, walk and float. You can do this on the special coloured platforms, but she can't natively do those things. They mean two different stuff.

11. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Ok yeah so I'm about 35 levels in and I must say that this game's pricetag of $0.99 gets you a whole lot of content!!! Like exact-psience says, they devs could have easily doubled or tripled the price. And the fact that there are no IAPs to boot deserves a hats off from me.

On the game itself, I would say there's lots of depth. Every level introduces something new, which is applaudable considering this game has a whooping 50 levels.

The only thing is that the game gets so tough. After about level 20, the difficulty turns up. I hope the devs can address this because the less casual gamer will simply gets mightyly frustrated.

You can either:

1) Include a preset number of 'lifelines' that allow you to skip a level. Say 5 lifelines.
    2) Include 2/3 difficulty levels. Easy, normal, hard (the current one being hard!!!)

As it is, I will stop playing for a while. Things have gotten too out of hand for me. But the depth is there, sound is great too. Haven't even replayed levels to collect bonuses and played the endless modes yet, so the game still has lots more in store.

12. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I'm with you there, metalcasket. I thought IAPs were only ever going to get worse over time, and full premium games will be long gone...but the tide has started to turn. But note that freemium is here to stay....its just that there is a premium gaming community out there that makes sense for devs to follow that model as well.

Things particularly changed in the past 2/3 weeks - Rayman got the ball rolling, then Wimp (one IAP but not really counted), God of Blades, NBA 2K13, and now Polara and Devils Attorney. There are more out there, but its been a while since we've had these many fully premium games out. Here's looking forward to a continued rise in premium games.

13. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    [​IMG]

Snape? Snape? Severus Snape?! :p

14. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Had my eye on this one for a while! Might even take a break from Hexagon to play this over the next few days.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It may have just came out wrong but i was talking about polish and not gameplay mechanics.I meant to say that certain conditions, from button presses to stepping on platforms to cutscene transitions were all given attention and she is given more than the usual run and jump animations, and each one done fluidly.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im only on the 5th level because i dont go forward without completing all replay missions and getting a flawless run. LOL. The first 5 levels alone has given me so much replay value, and this isnt because the game is too hardcore difficulty-wise, but because of the level design that each level offers. You wont be tired of replaying each level because you know the current level you are trying to complete is totally different from the previous ones.

17. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    I dare you get a flawless run on level 23!! I had 120 deaths in completing that level. ;)

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Very clever runner. My only issue with the "ad" for your company is it really "harsh". Perhaps you could make the colors in keeping with the theme? Love Konundrum BTW, so this was an easy purchase for me.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I'll get there soon, and i'll join you in the 100+ deaths squad. LOL

20. Jimmay

Jimmay New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    #40 Jimmay, Oct 11, 2012
    Edit. Nm.