iPhone The Banner Saga: Words fail me!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by squarezero, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The Banner Saga is a turn-based tactical RPG being made a small team of ex-Bioware designers and developers. Though it will first come out this Summer on Mac and PC, the team committed itself to developing an iOS version (among others) if their Kickstarter campaign exceeded their original goal of $100,000. 30 days before the deadliine and they have already raised $150,000, so it's safe to assume that an iOS version is coming (though, to be clear, the devs have not confirmed this).

If you are not as excited about this game as I am after watching the teaser below, then you are not a real gamer.

Okay, maybe that's kind of extreme. But still, it is difficult for me to overstate the level of awesomeness on display here. Enjoy!

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, this looks freaking incredible. There are plenty of people who aren't into SRPGs though.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I know. That's why I said my words were extreme ;).

4. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Ok what was that and how much

5. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

As a big animation fan, I'm defo looking forward to this one.

6. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    They've mentioned multiplayer so that's a bonus. Guess we'll have to see if/how they do an iOS. Looks awesome and looks like it will be well supported past development as well (assuming ex-bioware employees know anything about anything!).

Currently Ravenmark: Scourge of Estallion (Witching Hour Studios) reminds me visa-versa of this, which imo is an awesome iOS game and just had the Sunspears Expansion as well.

Yeah this "genre" is perfectly suited to iOS imo. Advance Wars was one of the best games I played on the old gameboy :)

7. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Wow. I can only hope it shows up on iOS.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm a 'real gamer' and have over 500 apps on my gadget, been playing games since the 80's but i'm not into strategic games like this. Loved Baldurs Gate but not interested in this game

So looks like i'm not a real gamer as i'm not super excited ! Oh no !

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Actually, the fact that you took literally something that was was intended to be tongue in cheek shows that you are, indeed, a real gamer ;).

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #10 Ayjona, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    I just noticed The Banner Saga kickstart campaign the other day, and found myself wishing it would eventually make its way to iOS. Boy, the power of my wishes ;) (Or the power of not reading the Kickstarter campaign page thoroughly.)

But now I am going to have to spend all this time fretting over whether the PC/Mac-focused devs will understand that async is the way to go for turn-based iOS multiplayer, or give us a real-time only online mode of what looks like one of the best TBS games yet, instead of either or, something that would enable those of us who can never find time for concurrent online matches to still hit vikings over the head with banner poles from here till come Ragnarok...

I am fairly certain I am NOT a real gamer, yet I AM excited for this. Based on your initial deduction, perhaps you should expand the definition to read "not a real person"? :)

11. Icurafu

Icurafu Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2011
  12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    But Ayjona -- you are a real gamer ;).

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Well that's just incredible :) Not really a fan of RPG, but I'm a fan of TBS so count me in :)

14. take

take Active Member

Jan 1, 2012
    stoic has a survey up asking what platforms TBS should be developed for. make your voice heard and get this game on iOS!! we need a game of this caliber on the platform.

15. take

take Active Member

Jan 1, 2012
    #15 take, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  16. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Pretty cool they posted today on Kickstarter (update #6), that IPAD and Linux ports are officially confirmed (after the PC and MAC versions).

17. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Snap! I was (metaphorically, since I'm in the bath holding my .. my .. - calm down girls - iPad) scratching my head and wondering, "Have you people actually seen the SWTOR trailer?". Which is where Bioware's $100m went as it sure wasn't the actual game by all accounts.

Or the GW2 trailer. Both had me screaming like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #18 squarezero, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
    The difference, of course, is that there is actual gameplay on this trailer (starting around 0:42). That's why we are going a bit gaga over it.

19. take

take Active Member

Jan 1, 2012
    #19 take, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    also, if you bothered to visit the kickstarter or watch the video there, you'd realize this isn't a bunch of kids working on some shit-show game based on the title alone for some mega-company that only cares about money. these are accredited dudes with a real passion for what they're bringing to the table, and they've been bringing even more talent on board as time passes and donations pick up.

there's an obvious reason their kickstarter is over 400% to goal.

20. reec0X

reec0X Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Computer Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Is it confirm that TBS will be release on iOS platform?