What do you want in a platformer?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jack Shiels, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Jack Shiels

Jack Shiels Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Hi there,

I am going to be getting into iPhone development within the next few weeks and need a little feedback and some of your views.

The game I am going to be working on is a puzzle platformer with some possible 3D elements added in. I need to know what makes a platformer good or bad for you all... what stuff you hate and what stuff you love ;)

It would really help me to make something you guys like. From what I see this is a great place to start talking about iPhone games and introducing them to other people.

So if you can, maybe fill out a love/hate list for me; do you like online highscore integration? Is variety more important than consistency in terms of level design? Is customization of the character a must?

One good way would be to give me examples of other games that fit the bill, so link away.

Cheers and thanks - I need all the help I can get to make something great!

2. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    120 stars

3. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    Good controls like soosiz and fun to play like rolando.

4. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    #4 mattll, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    the plattformers i like best are gomi and rolando
    gomi
    +different special skills ,level design, game idea, boss stages, controls
    -grafic´s
    rolando
    +level design, grafik, story,controls, play different character

so in my opinion you need
    -character´s
    -story
    -level design
    -variety
    -a funny story with funny character
    -controls
    -ai
    -funny enemies
    maybe some new elements like on the iphone:
    -move the background not the character
    (-change the game idea from rescuing the world into destroying it)
    -an "anti" hero
    -something like okami (PS2)that you can stop the game and draw your way (Trace (Ipod))

btw do you plan a beta=

5. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
  6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

action not puzzle

7. zlibd

zlibd Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    New York
    it pretty much comes down to art for me
    i prefer the kind that makes it stand out like the comic style (300, sin city, etc), hand drawn like in castle crashers or even updated retro sprites

and if that succeeds then i like when the puzzle aspect is mild
    for example god of war, it has plenty of small things that make you think but it doesnt take away from the action

8. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    sorry to say, but there are already WAY too many puzzle games on the iphone. this one just has to blow us away if you want it to stand out from the others

9. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Two things need to stand out: art style and the concept (what makes your game unlike any other platformer? Soosiz has that gravity effect. What's yours?)

10. Jack Shiels

Oct 25, 2009
    Well I can't really reveal the selling point of the game yet, but I can assure you the art style will be great :cool:

I already have a version working on the desktop right now, so a lot of it has to do with porting it over to the iPhone.

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    -content
    -high replay value
    -well polished graphics
    -good controls
    -unique gameplay
    -something that will make the player want to come back for more

12. Jack Shiels

Oct 25, 2009
    Well good news, I have been accepted for the app store, so work should start this week :)

13. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    good luck! Controls, art and "uniqueness" are the factors for me!

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Just play Soosiz, Toki Tori and the Rolando and get an idea for what the standard is.

Also, look at this:

15. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    The most important things for me are a detailed story line and something, that makes your game original.

16. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Platforming....:p

Well multiple ways to get through a level like old sonic games is a plus.
    Power ups are great and diverse enemies as well.

17. iAmTheWalrus

iAmTheWalrus Active Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Martian
    Mars
    To me, a story or plot isn't that important in a platformer.
    Sure, it's needed, but it's not essential to the game imo.

What a platformer should have (imo):
    -Platforms (duh)
    -Puzzles (Not stuff like bejeweled. You know what I mean by puzzles. >_>)
    -Easy/logical controls
    -High difficulty
    -High replay value
    -Creative settings
    -Good looking scenery
    -Retro, 2D-graphics/feel
    -A story that doesn't take itself seriously

18. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Okay im tired of the thousands of generic puzzle games in the app stores, I wish you luck on impressing people like me. You'll need to be creative so dont just go rip off some game like ronaldo, it doesnt sit too well with people.

I enjoyed inkvaders graphics, I havent seen many sidescrolling games do well with realistic graphics. So i recommend you go with comething creative like inkvaders, zombieville, etc. If you're going to make it a puzzle game make sure it has physics in there. People love to see what might happen if you do this, or put this here, etc.

19. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    #19 reinhart_menken, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Same here. No offense, but I don't like Rolando, Toki Tori, Toy Bot, etc. Now, Inkvader's graphic is minimalistic, while Zombieville's is cartoon/comic-ish, but Rolando, Toy Bot, and Toki Tori are just downright kiddie. Nothing majorly wrong with that, people who love it can play it, but it's just not my taste. You certainly won't get the "omg this game is so cool" feel you get the first time you play Rock Man, Mega Man or Castlevania. Think about it, if iDracula has kiddie graphics, would it still get as many sales? Or would more players jump on it just because it looked cool?

Anyhow, that's the visual style, as for game play elements...we probably have enough games that have game play of the above mentioned games, great as they may be (and I don't think people want just another copy of those games). I prefer gameplay like Earthworm Jim, Metroid, Megaman, Rayman, etc. Jumping, shooting (technically Inkvader and Zombieville wouldn't even be platformers, they're just 2D side-scrolling games), and definitely have to have jumping (that's the whole point of platformers, you jump to other platforms), some elements from iPhone side-scrolling games wouldn't hurt - different weapons, maybe purchasable or obtained other ways, character that can choose different equipments, different abilities (if the character's supposed to have any), a variety of enemies (just one, two or three enemies with different colors wouldn't do either; in fact, different colors for more enemies just make it seem cheaper than if there were just three enemies).

20. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    yeah i guess there are too many physics games but I dont usually like platformers because they kinda bore me. Its like assassins creed, jump jump jump jump jump, shoot, jump jump jump jump, then shoot. I feel as thought they lack creativity now days and just rip off mega man and other such popular games.

But you know what could be a good physics game? Fantastic contraption and iblast moki combined. think about it, a crazy machine flying around blowing stuff up =). I actually like the sound of that. You make a contraption and control it. How fast the wheels are turning what direction, etc. Although that would cause problems with complicated contraptions it would be cool to romp around in inkvaders controling a machine catapulting bombs at aliens.
    okay im done talking non sense, I have to go write like 10 essays.