best Tetris app?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by YouAllEverybody, Mar 15, 2010.

1. YouAllEverybody

YouAllEverybody Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    There's got to be more than one Tetris game on the App store, other than EA's, which is annoying because it doesn't even let you go past 150 lines. I'm wondering if anyone knows of other Tetris apps that have an endless mode..every time I search for Tetris I just get all of EA's apps..

2. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    There are plenty of tetris like games but the only one that doesnt suck is the EA one

3. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Agree with BrettArchibald, Compression is the best Tetris-like game I have played...unless you consider Unify which is further afield, but I consider it superior to Tetris. Unify is just AWESOME.

4. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #4 Grubjelly, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
    Even ignoring the novelty of the wall compression gameplay mechanic, Compression bears little more than a superficial resemblance to Tetris, although I do recommend the former. The crucial element of the latter is that blocks are cleared according to a spatial requirement (i.e. line filling) rather than color matching and hollow-piece clearance requirements of Compression.

In that sense, there are falling/rotating block games with gameplay closer to Tetris, but with substantial variations. The game Ennea, for example, includes the basis piece-set of Tetris as a subset of a much larger set (i.e. depending on the chosen difficulty mode - "expert" and "insane" are just those) consisting of configurations ranging from a slightly longer "L" piece to mammoth blocks with one or more units projecting awkwardly into the surrounding space, requiring extra skill. Said game also has special items affecting gameplay in ways that may or may not appeal to every player, but the gameplay always retains a distinctly Tetris-like feel.

Compression has better style and sound design, as well as the novelty of an interesting combo system. However, If you're looking for a game just a few steps removed from Tetris in terms of strategy and spatial engagement, then it would be best to look elsewhere. Do try Compression lite when you get tired of Tetris-like games, if not before.