The state of modern creative media

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Exhumed91, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Exhumed91

Exhumed91 Active Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I was just thinking about how the market for media in general has changed, and wondered what you guys think about it. Everything is obscure or Michael Bay/Ke$ha/EA. I like being closer to the artist, but think about it: you're either jaded, hipster, or an idiot when it comes to any type of creative media (though TV to a lesser extent, and books have always been that way). We share fewer commonalities; we reminisce about the classics, trade obscure finds, or talk about stuff everyone has heard of.

But on the other hand, the obscure content is more fresh and unique than ever, and when it's not, it's often paying homage to the classics. If you don't like something, you can ask the developer to change it. One man's artistic genius + 200 hours of work only costs you a dollar during the holidays, unless you decide to steal it or pay full price at launch to support the developer. I only steal music, not apps, but it's weird how the decision has become "Do I steal or donate?" whereas people with an average income don't generally shoplift or donate to charity.

What's your take TA? Have your buying habits changed, have your conversations about games/music/movies changed?

2. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Mainstream media is sinking deeper into re-hash obsession/sequelitis, and indie/small studio types are experimenting ever more strongly in novel ideas, concepts and aesthetics. The whole move to digital distribution hurt like hell for the media corps, but I also think there's a feeling of jadedness manifesting itself more strongly in reaction to overblown/overdone special effects in films and the more powerful gaming consoles pushing a futile arms race towards hyper-realistic environments.

3. Exhumed91

Exhumed91 Active Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Yeah, I'm hoping the future will bring about the return of the medium budget game. I'm hoping the economy, the world in general, is in period of learning and transition.