[SUBMITTED] Incoming Mini Squadron!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MiniSquadron, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiniSquadron

MiniSquadron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Everything!
    #1 MiniSquadron, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
    Hello everyone! I would like to introduce to you my lil iPhone game called Mini Squadron! Heres the blurb on it:

Mini Squadron is a frantic shooter on the iPhone, involving lots of little planes all vying for supremacy of the skies!
    Simple and highly addictive old-skool shooting gameplay suitable for all ages, with stunning graphics to match! Take your Mini Squadron through lush forest levels to modern cityscapes, and then SHOOT EVERYTHING IN THE WAY FOR A HI-SCORE!
    Shoot down enemy planes, bombers, UFOs, ducks, collect a plethora of power-ups - and unlock over 50 types of planes with different weapon types! There's nothing quite like this on the iPhone, BUY IT NOW! Then make your friends buy it and BEAT THEM IN WIFI MULTIPLAYER!

The dev blog is here at www.minisquadron.blogspot.com - its all fresh and spangly and I will be adding more to it as I go!

And here are some links to tasty photons in the guise of Screenshots and Moving Screenshots (Video) :)!

IMG_0096.png

IMG_0097.png

IMG_0098.png

IMG_0102.png

IMG_0105.png

IMG_0106.png

IMG_0107.png

IMG_0110.png

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm liking the look of this. Sorta like Aera but minus the 3D graphics... and 50 planes totally sells me. Is it finished yet?

3. UndeadZed

UndeadZed Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    wow awsome reminds me of that one from rock solid arcade about the first world war

4. MiniSquadron

Sep 24, 2009
    Everything!
    Hi! It's not finished yet, hopefully one more month and a bit to go - you can check out news at the dev blog (www.minisquadron.blogspot.com). I'm currently doing all the preview emails - and then i have to get back to coding! One man army is rather difficult and hard work ;)

5. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    is there gonna be a lite?

6. MiniSquadron

Sep 24, 2009
    Everything!
    Maybe - its a bit early to say, but most probably. Need to finish coding it first! :)

7. Aldex Oun

Aldex Oun Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    #7 Aldex Oun, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    Omg, this game is so totally unrealistic that I want it. Those weapons are amazing, I'm definitely looking forward to this one, and thank you for making it a virtual pad to play with, although I love Aera, gameplay with the accelerometer was the one thing that I wasn't quite fond of.

8. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Wow.. Im in love with the graphics. Its 2D but it has a new cartoony effect like in Worms.

9. dominicjan

dominicjan Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I love it already :D. and the name of the game is pretty catchy as well. good job!

10. bluebearstudio

bluebearstudio Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Developer
    Seatle, WA
    Reminds me of one of my favorite arcade games

Time Pilot! looks like fun.

11. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    This looks awesome. How many stages does it have? Are there a lot of varied weapons? Most importantly, is there online multiplayer (not talking about wi-fi) and up to how many players are competing? Are you fighting against other rival planes, coop multiplayer or both?

12. MiniSquadron

Sep 24, 2009
    Everything!
    I hope to put in 8 stages. Each stage is a small arena to shoot in! Currently theres a mix of about 7 weapon types, but each has its own reload times and accuracy etc. Lasers/Homing Missiles/Cluster bombs etc.

Version 1 will be Local Wifi Multiplayer 1v1, once i have the codebase nicely locked down in all the other areas then i will be expanding that side of things. Its very important for me to get the single player as fun as possible too! :)

13. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Know what you should do? Make a new weapon being a weaponised smoke trail your plane leaves. Then the game turns into you trying to make quick or big looping rings around your opponent to surround them with this glowing hazardous trail, like how your character in Boom Brigade draws circles around enemies.

What do you think?

14. Kikekun

Kikekun Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Mmm, there was an awesome game on the Spectrum called Destructo which kind of reminds me to this one.
    Great work on the art, though. It has some very nice touches.

15. MiniSquadron

Sep 24, 2009
    Everything!
    Duly noted! I like how you use the smoke trails for gameplay - but theres plenty enough to do as it is :) I would like to really refine existing stuff before progressing in order to give you a really polished effort. Besides, the dev team is literally me in my bedroom....so I hope you will understand that some ideas will have to be left behind...(for now)

16. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    It reminds me of one of my favorite old arcade/NES games, Sky Kid. From from the trailer it looks like there are some ground targets...are there any level objectives involving the bombing of enemy HQs and so forth? I really enjoyed that aspect of Sky Kid and it broke up the otherwise non-stop dogfighting.

17. MiniSquadron

Sep 24, 2009
    Everything!
    Thanks SaucePolicy - Sky Kid looks amazing in itself! There will be ground thingies that shoot at you (and you can shoot back), but I don't think there will be any ground targeting objectives as such, it will mainly be more focused on aerial combat. There may be some sort of break up, but hopefully the juice will be in aerial dog fights!

18. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    I have a soft spot for these kind of games and I'm especially happy that you chose to go with prop-planes rather than high-tech/ futuristic. It looks very charming and I'll definitely be picking this up. Good luck on your way to release candidate!

19. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Looks amazing! Love the visual style - especially the trails behind the planes. It's great that you've included so many planes and weapon types. It seems like it will be a content-rich title. Definitely bought when this comes out.

20. I like it. Will buy if it's the right price.