Being the #1 Overall Game - Our Experience!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by simplymuzik3, Apr 2, 2010.

1. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #1 simplymuzik3, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
    Hi everyone! As promised we will share some numbers about the downloads we are getting for The Impossible Test! The app is currently free and it's the Overall #1 App in all the major countries + more (US, Canada, UK, Australia etc.).

Our game went to #1 because of freeAppCalendar.com. If you haven't heard of them, you should really check them out! They really helped The Impossible Test push to become the most downloaded app in the store!

So now for some numbers...
    On the day of being free with freeAppCalendar.com - aprox. 28000
    On the following day of being free - 180,000
    Third Day of being free - 300,000
    Fourth Day of being free - 325,000

As you can see from the data so far, our sales went INSANE on the second day of being free! The second day is when we actually reached the #1 in most countries! We will update this thread as new data becomes available!

Fun Fact: On the second day we were averaging 2 sales/sec!
    Fun Fact: On the third day we were averaging 3.5 sales/sec!!!!

2. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I tried getting it but iTunes is hating on me because I owe them a lot of money :(
    i think it has in-app purchases, correct? Have you seen an incrrease in paid sales for that part of the game? I always imagined free app promotions would be most benificial to games with inapp purchases- I remember one game, koto kart or something like that, had a similar experience.

3. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Wow, thats insane. Congrats! It makes me really happy to see this all start off with freeAppCalendar. Your first day of free-ness eclipses mine by a wide margin.

4. DaveLev

DaveLev Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Indie Games Developer for iPhone
    Derby, UK.
    I would be really intrigued to see if your in-app purchase sales have been sucessfull too! I'm thinking of doing this with one of our game with in-app purchase.

5. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    Check the first post for new stats! MAJOR updates!

6. raleigh

raleigh Active Member

Congratulations man and thanks for sharing!

When you say sales, you really just mean downloads of the free version, right? I'm more curious how many of those downloads are getting converted into actual sales through In App Purchase.

7. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    Actually we don't have a "lite" version. We are giving away the FULL game for free! From the in-app purchase, you can buy and "answer sheet" for $0.99. We are making as much money as some of the top paid apps right now!

8. HappyninGames

HappyninGames Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for sharing, and congrats!

We are definitely interested in using FreeAppCalendar - did you guys do anything special/offer any incentives to help the votes for your game on the site?

9. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    Nope, we did nothing! In less than 24 hours we received an email letting us know that our app was voted! They gave us a few days notice, and it all started from there! The best thing about freeAppCalendar.com is that you don't have to wait a while to get your app featured. Within a few days, the entire process can be complete (unlike the other 2 free app services).

10. aros2k

aros2k Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Really happy to see your success.

11. HappyninGames

HappyninGames Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Very cool, thanks!

12. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

i don't doubt they're genius test-alike is a well made app, though i do think they're success does have a little to do with the sales of the one and only genius test

13. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    All the free app websites help you get up a little, with freeappaday helping the most. But since your app is a really good one, once you got some publicity, your sales start going up a lot.

14. steelfires

steelfires Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Candy Mountain, Charlie!
    All the websites help, with freeappaday helping the most. What most likely happened was freeappcalendar giving you a little publicity, with the top 100 list giving you the rest.