iPhone Roll Through the Ages (lite civ dice board game)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mrbass, May 28, 2010.

1. http://rollthroughtheages.com/

Will be out next few days beginning of June 2010 for ipad and iphone.
    I've only had chance to play this board game once. It's pretty decent and one of those games if you play it again would say yea definitely do this differently next time.

Here are screenshots from the actual board game..couldn't find any from ipad version yet. One is components and 2nd screenshot is scoresheet so you have an idea of what is involved.

If this one is successful perhaps we can hope for Pandemic for iPad too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Roll Through The Ages is a great game! Looking forward to this one.

YES. PLEASE. :D

3. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Yes, love that all these excellent board games are coming to iPad. I hope eventually every one of 'em gets the ipad treatment!

4. clarsonx

clarsonx Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Excellent. This is a particularly good fit for the iPad.

5. Finandir

Finandir Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 7, 2010
    Where did you see mention or discussion of this? I can't find anything on Boardgamegeek other than someone saying it is supposedly coming out. Nothing at the official site you link to either.

I have to agree that it is a fun little game to play. Hopefully they will have computer opponents and implement the Late Bronze Age variant as well, since it is an official variant of the game.

6. #6 mrbass, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
    it was a quote from FRED distribution from boardgamenews twitter feed about it's soon to be released in "the next few days".

here is the quote from the twitter feed.

7. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I would die if they released Race For The Galaxy or Dominion. Bring on the board/card game love for iPad!

8. amn624

amn624 Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    publisher
    Nassau County, NY
    Makes my day!!!!

I am soooo looking forward to this! One of my favorites! One of my buddies gave me a set of laminated scoresheets and grease pencils. We have played RTTA at least 100 times at gamenights.

9. kornalius

kornalius Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    CEO of ArianeSoft Inc.
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    It's out for the iPhone only! 4.99$ USD. Will there be an iPad version?

10. good question the twitter feed said iphone / iPad so maybe I'll wait one day or so to make sure the iPad release isn't coming.

11. clarsonx

clarsonx Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    I'm enjoying the game, but it has a wide range of implementation issues and a few bugs (I've only played solo):

- When you buy Agriculture or Masonry, the dice will randomly show the additional Food/Worker, sometimes three, sometimes four, often changing when you select/deselect a die.

- When the game is over, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get back to the New Game screen. I wind up backing through all my moves of my current game to get the New Game screen. It's there though, sometimes I've stumbled on it by accident. I think it may appear if you exit the game then start it up again.

- After assigning workers, I should be able to press a "Done" button to move onto Buy Development. Instead I have to back up to the move menu to select Buy Development. The game should transition you from Feed/Worker/Development/End Turn without forcing you to backtrack in menus.

- The Roll screen should have more details on the food situation. It tells you how many food you need for your cities, but doesn't tell you how much food you have in reserve. When you roll, the game tells you if you have enough food in the roll, but not by how much. And it bases that not on which dice you select but on the entire roll, which you may not want to use. So I often have to back out a couple of screens to check for that info.

- Similarly under Buy Development, I'd like to easily see what is my good situation, rather than having to go to the Goods screen and back again. Forces more menu transitions when the game already has too many.

- The game has a weird way of keeping track of your games, even having you name a game. And it seems to keep a copy of each game you play. So periodically I have to go and delete numerous saved copies of game. I supposed it's nice to be able to save a game so you can go back and check how you got a score you achieved, but saving should be an option, not something forced on you for every game.

- The game seems to record multiple copies of the game score on the high score list. Although that may be due to my going back and forth in the menus at the end of the game searching for a way to start a new game.

- Many times I have accidentally pressed the Feed button before I've finished rolling, and there is no going back.

Although playable, this iPhone version is cumbersome due to the huge number of menu/screen transitions. Hopefully there will be an iPad version that will keep most of the game details on one screen and cut down on the transitions.

I'm still enjoying the game, largely because the underlying game is fun. However, the implementation is not ready for prime time.

12. CircleTheFire

CircleTheFire Member

May 20, 2010
    I would kill a man for a complete version of Dominion on iPad.

13. It shows 4 sometimes and when you lock that dice it goes to 3 food. Not sure if that is due to solo play or what.

I never have to backtrack always use top right button to move along in turn order. NOt sure what your doing there.

It would be nice to pause 3 secs showing after you feed how many are workers you have and have much remaining food you have after you feed. I'm constantly having to check it by pressing the goods icon in bottom left corner.

if you press development card to buy it auto takes you to goods section to sell goods if you wish to purchase dev card.

14. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Agreed. I would buy an iPad on the way home from work today if Dominion were available. I always get a brief surge of hope followed by disappointment whenever I see "Dominion HD on iPad" but it's just that Risk clone. :mad:

Also as the poster above mentioned, Race for the Galaxy would be awesome. Others:

Puerto Rico
    Agricola
    Imperial
    Thunderstone
    Chaos in the Old World
    Warhammer: Invasion

So many good boardgames. Man why aren't they all on iPad right now already??!!

I would be happy with Dominion however. Plus, think how much extra revenue they could get by releasing the expansion packs for an extra $3 each, over time...

15. Zuster101

Zuster101 Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I echo the request for a Dominion iPad app. Especially if it used the mechanic similar to the scrabble app where you use the iPad for the primary game board (in the case of dominion that would be the cards) and then use iPod touch / iPhones for the individual's letters (in Dominion that would be your cards).

I may try the Roll through the ages one. We have the hard copy version but haven't played in some time.

16. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Saw this on the iTunes page for this game. Good news!

Now on sale! Get it now before the price goes back up when we add AI and native iPad support.​

It's on for $2.99 right now.

17. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Bought this game a while back but just started playing on the weekend. I think some of the bugs you had listed in your original post may have been patched (or if not, I didn't notice them), but these three are still very much there.

I can't figure out how to get a new game either- have to go all the way back through each turn. There should be an option on the score summary screen.

Also agree with the lack of information on the Roll and Build menus. I always have to go back to the main menu and into the other submenus just to see how much food or goods I have.

I am playing this on the iPad so can't wait for the improved version, but think these issues are minor enough they should be able to put out a quick patch. Otherwise though, a very fun game and well worth the $2.99.