App Store: no more "company name" for individual accounts

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kafu, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Seems that since few hours Apple is removing any custom "company name" used by "individual" accounts: https://devforums.apple.com/message/743546#743546. Currently the changes seems to happen on a by-App case, when some update is done via iTunes Connect.

A little disaster for small indies having invested in a brand using sole proprietorship businesses & DBA:
    • the brand is removed from the App Store;
    • people looking for a game by X land on a game made by Y, like a scam.

2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    This may hurt some of us. I'm about to submit an update... :(

The root cause of this is probably that some individual developers picked company names close to well-known brands, and Apple does not really like if somebody tries to trick the system.

3. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Andreas Illinger must be fuming...

On a serious note, I just searched the AppStore for "Zenout" and this is what happened: "No results found. Did you mean BenoƮt" Another nail gets thudded in, thanks ptb.

4. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    yep happened to me too, because I set up Forest Moon Games under an individual account (it was a ridiculous pain in the ass to set up a company now, under the new terms) I'm hoping I can get it switched to a company name...

5. Jez Hammond

Jez Hammond Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2012
    .com

<placeholder>

6. J.O.Y

J.O.Y Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Male
    Head of Product at Imba Games
    Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    In another hand I think it's more fair. I wasn't allowed to change my company name in AppStore from JOY Entertainment, JSC to "JOY" or event "JOY Entertainment" while you could register 1 new account with whatever name you want (artist field). That was what Apple support guy told me.

7. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

That sucks. You would would think that Apple would work with the established individuals/companies out there. I remember Retro 64 (I think that was the name) said it was a bitch to switch and he lost some sales during the transitions.

8. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
    #8 VRPgames, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    I submitted 2 updates last week and they are still in Waiting for Review. My "company name" has been changed in iTunes Connect today. It would be nice if Apple could create indie section in AppStore. I don't really like this but it would be a logical step.

9. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    #9 Carlos, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    So the "Copyright section" has been removed? I can still see it - maybe just because I haven't submitted an update yet...

Besides, is the "company info" being removed on a per-update basis, or once you update one of your apps, the information gets removed for all other apps?

10. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Seems the change happens when you submit the new and mandatory "contact information" form in the App's details page of ITC.

From what I read, seems a per-App change.

11. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
    All apps are affected. App Annie displays my name instead of VRP Games.

12. WeGotPixels

WeGotPixels Active Member

Why would they make a change like that?
    We have multiple accounts, but can only register 1 account pr. registered business. So we need to register multiple businesses for multiple accounts? No thats not possible either...

13. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#13 Syndicated Puzzles, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    We have 100 apps half of them have iLifeTouch the other half have Raj Kumar Shaw our lead designers name. So the whole process is a lot more random than what you would think. Many apps that have had the name change haven't been updated. So the process has to be very random to say the least.

14. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Hypothesis:
    They use the publisher name in their "search algorithm".
    So they want to avoid little guy gaming the system.
    Or they want little guy have less chance of being discover and pushing the big boys further.

15. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Info about that topic. At least now I know why I didn`t found yesterday a few Appz on the Appstore.

The Problem seem to be even worse because yesterday I was searching for a few Developer and didn`t found any Appz of them.

The worse thing is that when I finally found their Appz on the Appstore the hole Title + Brand were still there but couldn`t be searched for.

I don`t know why Apple did it in the longer long but let me tell you something from someone that buys a lot of Appz:

This could really, really hurt a lot of smaller Developers because most don`t have the patience that I have and most of the time stop after they had searched for a Game with two or three different terms they will give up.

And that will for sure hurt many, many Sales Stats in the upcoming Days till People finally realize that they have to use a different term then they were used to it so far if they were looking for Developer X.

16. WeGotPixels

Would it be posibble to change the name of the developer to the "Artist Name".

Like my name is

Name: Christian
    Lastname: Christensen

to

Name: We Got
    Lastname: Pixels

Could that work or does the name have to be real?

17. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I've wondered about that, but could that potentially affect billing information etc.? Or could they consider it an inappropriate name?

18. WeGotPixels

Yes I don't think it is possible... If you want to change your name you need to add documentation. It is not editable in the developer page.
    This sucks.. What happens if you have the same name as another developer? Are all the apps then mixed together?

19. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Yep, I've heard Mr Smith has knocked out a gazillion apps, the busy dude!

20. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This is bad for consumers as well as indie devs. There are several companies that churn out kinda snazzy looking garbage apps which I have learned to avoid. Now instead of the familiar company names I know to avoid, most just show some Asian name which I am unfamiliar with. Guess I'll have to start relearning who I need to avoid.