iPhone Blood Bowl by Focus Home Interactive

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Meridian99

Meridian99 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    That was my plan with my orcs against elves today. They were trying to play, i was trying to kill. They had quite a few less players than me by turn 4 of each half. Love this game even if i've never played it before the ios version

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Does having adjacent team mates help you escape an enemy tackle zone?

3. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Get the Blood Bowl that won't give you eye strain and put cramps in your fingers.

For the Blood Bowl fans who also have Windows PCs, The Legendary Edition is on sale on Steam right now. Just got an email notification. $19.99 -> $4.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58520/?snr=1_620_4__45

4. wharfrat1979

wharfrat1979 Member

Jul 2, 2013
    what is the main difference between chaos and legendary edition. i want to buy but is there any major diff. choas edition has is only like 3 more dollars

5. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #165 Parkingtigers, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Once you start moving a player, you need to complete all their possible actions in one go. You cannot do part of their move, do something with another player, and then return to the first player. This was a boardgame after all, remembering all those half moves would have been impossible.

It's not a bad thing, you just need to factor it into your plans. So yes you might want to have your thrower pick up the ball, and you might want to have your catcher dodge out of a tackle zone and move into position to receive a pass. Both these things are dangerous, and risk a turnover. If opposing players are closing in on the ball then it really makes it a tricky decision.

With good dice rolls, the optimum order would be to move the catcher into position, then pick up the ball, then make the pass. Catcher fails the dodge roll and you never get to try to pick up the ball. A slower yet safer choice is then to pick up the ball first, then put the catcher into position for the pass in the following turn (hopefully), but that also gives the other coach a turn to react. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah, it's this need to identify the risks, and choosing the order in which to face them, that's the essence of Blood Bowl.

There is a way to alter your starting lineup too. You can see subs standing by the side of the pitch, by the dugouts. I'm guessing that during setup you probably just tap a player on the pitch, then tap a sub to swap their positions. It'll be something simple like that. Will test it next game.

6. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    #166 Parkingtigers, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    No, escaping a tackle zone uses the player's agility. That's a standard agility roll, with a +1 for making a dodge, and a -1 if they are dodging into another tackle zone. A human player of AG 3 needs to roll a 4+ to pass the roll, so that's a 3+ to escape the tackle (and back to being a 4+ if there's another tackle zone at the destination). There are also a couple of skills that can help, like DODGE and BREAK TACKLE. There's no benefit from having friendly players nearby.

The way that adjacent players can help, is by blocking the enemy to remove their tackle zones in some way. Punch out the tackler and your player can move away in safety.

Another possible benefit from having friendly adjacent players is that if the running player has the ball and is tackled, then it may scatter onto another player on your team.

7. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    If it's only 3 bucks more, then go all in. They put out various iterations of the PC game, adding in more and more teams. The last version had (I think) just 3 extra teams and a couple of small features so for a lot of people wasn't worth the premium price of upgrading when the previous version (which has like 95% of all possible content) was floating around for a budget price. Now they are all cheap, might as well get the version with all the stuff. The multiplayer worked between any of the versions, it only affected what teams you had access to like in the iPad version.

Bear in mind Blood Bowl II is coming out on PC so if you really dig the game you've got bigger and shinier just round the corner.

8. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    After playing the PC version, it's really a shame how much they cut the game down aesthetically. I can understand cutting back on backgrounds, but showing mutation animations and clear differences between player types would have really helped identify specific players on the field. Hopefully if they bring BB II to mobile it takes less of a beating trying to scale it down.

9. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland
    Thanks for the heads up, bought it today after enjoying this version so much.

10. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    @wicro You're welcome. I had it for ages but it was way to complicated for me. After watching the tutorials I never played it. Just another unplayed game in my still growing collection of unplayed ones.

11. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    I was just watching a livestream on Twitch, someone in chat said Chaos Edition was the deal of the day.

I asked the players what the deal was with some skills being highlighted in green when you level up. Apparently these are the skills that Cyanide recommend for that player. And apparently, most of the time these suggestions make no sense and so they shouldn't be blindly followed.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I stupidly thought that skill was pre-selected so I ended up confirming on some other random skill I just was reading ASSUMING it would have no effect.

Gosh dangit, while I still suck, I now see that the game DOES give you the heads up on block rolls at least, does it tell you the roll you'll need to beat on skill checks as well when contemplating leaving a tackle zone?

13. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Most of the rolls are shown in the magnifying glass on the bottom corner, however I don't know how to bring up that info for tackle zone leaving. It MAY be if you select the space where teh dodge will happen (single tap so you don't confirm it) but can't test it cause no iPad right now.

14. Altaem

Altaem Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Great to see so many new blood bowl players.
    I doubt I'll pick up the ipad version, but I've played 1000s of matches on PC, winning the championship even with goblins.

An odd piece of advice.
    Unless they've fixed the AI, difficulty doesn't mean what you expect.

Easy acts like an idiot, taking constant foolish risks. This will occasionally pay off and it'll give you a whooping no matter how good you are.

Hard is super conservative, refusing to take the smallest necessary chances. Get one up against Hard and the AI will never close the gap.

Medium has the best balance behaving the closest to a human player. It offers by far the best play experience.

As a beginner your best bet is to play on hard and mimic their plays until you learn your own.

Sadly all AIs play exactly the same. So elves make cages and dwarves try to dodge.

Could be all this info is wrong, maybe they've fixed the AI since I played.
    If so I'll pick up this version in a heartbeat.

15. Parkingtigers

Apr 6, 2010
    My brain finally clicked into Blood Bowl coaching mode, and my Orcs just won three games in a row and won their first trophy. The new recruits to my poorly setup team seem to be making a difference, and I'm playing a nice bashy game with some passing play to keep opposing teams on their toes.

Surprisingly I was able to outfight a chaos team, which was delightful. Went 3-0 against them, but the highlight was fouling their minotaur and killing him without the ref spotting it. Skaven are still my most hated opponents, but I was just able to get a last second touchdown for a 2-1 championship match in overtime, earning me the Orc Tooth Trophy.

My level 3 thrower has a smashed hip, which is going to slow him down, but one of my Black Orcs has got two extra strength points. No block yet, but if I can get that on the next level up he's going to be murdering everyone, he's stronger than my troll now.

Really liking this longterm investment in a team. It's going to sting when I finally lose one of my top boys.

16. kevwade123

kevwade123 New Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Mutations visible?

Hi

Am i right in thinking that for Skaven and Chaos teams, when you select a mutation on levelling up, that the relevant attributes/skills will be amended as appropriate, but that the mutation is not visible on screen? So for example a skaven with 2 heads will still only show one on screen?

If so that sucks a bit!

17. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland
    Yes, you are right they do not show the actual mutation. However, the appearance does change in relation to the level. My chaos team has got very spiky!

18. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yeah it's a shame. In the PC version all the mutations show, but the IPad version cut back on a lot of graphical features. I understand this was to save space, but considering the devs have stayed they have no plans to add anything more to the game anyways, you think they could have afforded to make the game a bit bigger.

19. kevwade123

kevwade123 New Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Shame really, kinda takes the fun out of playing as skaven and chaos a bit. Seeing as they have gone into the effort of making the crowd and cheerleaders animated you'd have hoped they would get the on pitch graphics sorted first.

Still, maybe in a future update........

20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Forgot about this game when I got my iPad but judging by reviews I'm not sure It's worth picking up.