Promotional Codes: Members Only

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Christopher, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    #1 Christopher, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Title says it all... Anyone who has spent any amount of time browsing these forums knows unregistered lurkers often snatch up promotional codes offered by developers without so much as posting which code they redeemed or even a thank you.

Maybe I'm making a generalization here, but if lurkers don't have time to register for an account here, they probably won't make the time to post a review of the application they just received at a 100% discount.

How do developers offer promotional codes to registered members only? Make them attachments. This also affords the opportunity for developers to indirectly screen for members who are genuinely interested in an application to receive promo codes; by making the codes an image requiring to be retyped rather than a text document. Although, maybe I shouldn't mention that because I'm not fond of typing in long strings of alphanumeric characters. Guess that means more promo codes for those who will...

2. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    not even attatchements there should be a seperate forum

members and up

i propose we raise the post needed for member status to 70 to avoid any guy just doing random posts to get codes

and the person has to be an active member

3. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    no
    listen to the original idea
    i love it
    get rid of post counts all together

4. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Raising the post count to 70 is going to INCITE random posts...

5. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I like the thumbnail and txt idea. I think it has some legs because you have to be registered and logged in to see them so why not. I'm not a fan of post counts in general because I dont' think they add much to what is contributed to the forum in the first place. Plus, you open the door to spam. I see enough of these one word posts to irk me. Grrr...

6. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I like the idea of attaching a text document. So lurkers can't get it, and we can still copy and paste the codes if we get it. Although people with slow internet will download slower...

I hope devs post text documents!

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #7 Coldar, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009

Not a bad idea usng a text doc. Although dev's are getting savvy to putting them into their threads without advertising it and those that are really interested will find them......and also agree on those one word posts!! +1 on the Grrr....!

8. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

well, i have never recived a promo code but i agree 100%, people would not even review the app and just get it for free! that is the complete opposite than what the devs want

9. schooze

schooze Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2008
    I don't know one would be able to proove just because someone is not a member and takes a code that means they won't post a review on itunes, how can you know that the members here are leaving a review in the first place. I also don't like the idea that getting a promo code means giving a good review on itunes.

10. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I like those ideas, Christopher!

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Is Cristopher banned for suggesting this idea?
    Lucky I didn't suggest mine :D

12. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    I don't know, his latest posts don't seem to be breaking the rules. (Maybe that post got deleted?)

13. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Just wanted to chime in and say that it's not a bad idea really, but why is he banned all of a sudden? I don't think this quite counts as asking/begging for promos.... So...?

14. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes he was banned! I don't know for how long though. But he was posting a bunch of links that were rick rolling everyone. He even posted a thread in upcoming games with links to "pictures" that ended up rick rolling people. And then his signature had fake links in it too rick rolling people.

They were all deleted, so that's why it looks like this is his last post.

I think he was doing it for april fools day, but still....

15. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Hehehe I posted one link on Twitter that RickRolled at least one person. It may be a bad joke but me and the other person both laughed about it. But there's a difference between posting a link once or a lot. Especially with the TA policy on fake announcements.

16. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    i think it works better for the dev to say: I'll pm promo codes to the first 50 people to post here.

that usually works, and rewards the faithful, PLUS it is only for members.

17. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Yea, but I heard about the 30 sec or 1 min. wait between pm. so, 50 pms will take a while to get too

18. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I completely agree, the whole idea of promo codes seems a little like bribery. Forgive me if I'm being ignorant here but doesn't the concept of giving a product absolutely free to someone so they can tell other people about it sound a little biased? Of course they're going to give a good review if they ever want any more free apps from the dev... And that defeats the purpose of writing fair reviews in the first place.

19. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #19 Big Albie, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
    I don't necessarily agree with this. The idea behind promo codes is to generate awareness for a game that people may not initially buy on their own. Hopefully after trying it, they will tell others (viral marketing). Inherently, there's nothing wrong with it, and most devs who provide codes ask that people provide objective reviews and I think more importantly, feedback that they wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

Think about it, most if not all people are set in their ways and have their biases. That's one reason they may not voluntarily try or buy something. Secondly, from a budgetary standpoint, people may not be able to afford to buy a game they're uncertain about. Promo codes can address both of these issues by getting product out to a wider audience and potentially a bigger one if the product is actually good via word of mouth.

20. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i didnt know none members couldn't download attachments, if thats true that would be a great idea