Games have changed or I have changed?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ROGER-NL, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    In 2010 I had always more than 20 games on my Ipod, nowadays I have barely 3 or 4 on my Ipad, is it because they make less games of my taste, my fave genre is Action-Puzzle-Physics and hussle fussle that means something of everything like twitchers and sorts, or have I become more critical of what to play, the games that I play are always great or I wouldn't play them ha ha, how does everyone feel about this.

I would like to see another hit like Cut The Rope, something with an adorable character and physics and stuff, hello Devs.

2. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Perchang. Odd Bot Out. Mekorama. Prune. Mini Metro. Flockers.

The games are still there. I think it's you that's changed.

3. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Hmmm... i think you're right. In some ways, I reckon the App Store has changed. There was that initial period when developers were just really excited about touch or tilt, and designed experiences around just a single, simple concept. We got a lot of games the likes of which we hadn't really seen before - not even Nintendo's touchscreen devices really offered the same thing.

iOS is a more mature platform now, and new ideas are harder to come by. Instead we're getting refinement, and games that offer more content, depth and performance as the hardware improves. I don't think you can really recapture that magic of the early scene. That's not to say there aren't still good new games coming out, and there are still fresh ideas. Last year alone we got Snakebird, Don't Grind, Super Cat Tales, Imbroglio, Retsnom, Human Resource Machine, Reigns, Time Locker, Mini Metro, Guild of Dungeoneering and Leap Day, which were all highly original or at least brought something new to old staples.

I saw your games of the year list, Roger - it was COMPLETELY different from mine!

4. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well I played all those games you mentioned except for Prune, and those games you mentioned are the ones that stand out, it's just fewer of the aaaahhhh moments en wow moments I think, but as I said earlier there are every week 1 or 2 games that I like and that's fine by me, you got to look for the cherries in the pie.

5. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    You are right everything was new back then, I can remember playing Flight Control for the first time and thought wow so simple but so brilliant at the same time, that new feeling is over but every week 1 or 2 games amaze me over and over.

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I think as you grow as a person, you change your views and tastes. As you become older, you become more discerning and your standards get higher.

While "back then" you were content with the games you had, now your time is more valuable and you simply don't have the patience for games that are "good enough", instead only sticking to what you consider to be the best. Naturally, there will be far, far fewer of "the best" games compared to the "good enough" ones.

That's what happened to me, at least. Six years is a long time, man.

7. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Well said, I am getting 46 years old in February, played games my whole life, seen it all but not having enough of it yet and that's only because of Apple and the Appstore they saved my life so to speak, didn't know what else to do he he, consoles were so meh in 2009.