Mass "What Should I Get?" Thread (2012 - 2017)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2011.

?

What device to get?

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. iPod Touch

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. iPad

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. iPad Mini

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    How is EVAC by Hexage? I love old, retro style arcade games and this at least looks pretty good. Didn't know how well it holds up compared to newer titles.

2. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Ascendancy or Starbase Orion? I've never played a x4 strategy game outside of Civilization Revolution (if that even counts as one). I'm a huge fane of strategy games in general and lately these have caught my interest as they seem to offer a ton of strategy, complexity, and a good deal of replayability. Can anyone give me a brief synopsis on both games, replayability, graphics, overall satisfaction?

Thanks.

3. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I own both of them and I can honestly say that Starbase Orion is your best bet on all counts.

The replayability is much better since you can play a lot of different async online multiplayer modes (ie: 1v1, 2v2, free for all, and pass and play). The dev made it so you can have two turns in a row and when you finish your turn it skips turns no one can do anything on, which makes a game go much faster than you would think. I also think the custom race builder is pretty sweet because it allows you to take certain benefits in exchange for certain weaknesses. This gives the player a lot to mess around with for a long time.

Ascendancy doesn't have multiplayer and you can really only vary the playing by changing the size of the galaxy and the number of races.

In the graphics department, Starbase Orion wins again, hands down. It has a slick UI, a beautiful top down galaxy view, and battles allow you to zoom in on the ship movements and see them firing at each other.

Ascendancy has very simple graphics (which makes sense since it is a remake of an old game). The nice thing about the UI is that you can rotate the screen in all directions, giving you that sense of 4D space. I do prefer the ship builder in Ascendancy to the one in SO. There is a bit more of a learning curve to deal with when it comes to the UI on ascendancy though.

So it may come as no surprise that I think Starbase Orion is the better polished and more fun experience. Also, having owned both, I don't think there is much of a reason to get both.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. You can find me through Game Center if you would like a game of SO - Sanitymops.

Good luck :)

4. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks Sanitymops, I will be downloading it right now and take you up on your offer with any questions I may have. Will take Ascendancy off my Appshopper wishlist too if thats the case. The screens do look better in comparison as well as the polish. Looks like the Devs are pretty active with community feedback and updates which I love. Asnychronous multiplayer is pretty much icing on the cake...Is there online chat? I have you on GC, we've played Carcassonne (i think Ascension too) from time to time. ;)

Have you or can anyone suggest Conquist 2 or RISK for iPad? Do either have asynchronous multiplayer? A brief synopsis/comparision would be great. Thanks!

5. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I only have Conquist 2 (and I don't have an iPad) but I think I can compare them pretty well with what you're asking. Neither have async multiplayer, but RISK has no multiplayer outside of local. Conquist 2 has multiple modes in online and local multiplayer. It also has 4 single player modes with multiple difficulties and a bunch of different map packs, and it feels fair. Overall I'd say get Conquist 2, it's really a great game, and from what I've heard RISK is not half as good.

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks. I'll grab Conquist 2 instead of RISK if that's the case...can't believe RISK has no multiplayer and it sounds like less bang for your buck in comparision. Plus, EA isn't known for updating games (no integrity in their own products) like indie Devs who I always prefer to support. is the online asynchronous?

7. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    I think I mentioned it, but Conquist 2 doesn't have asynchronous online. It's all at the same time. It works fairly well imo, but not so much if you can't play all in one sitting or are busy a lot. It also has pass and play, btw, which allows you to play it like the actual board game (all on one device).

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009

Sounds good. Thanks! :)

9. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Yes we have played together in the past :) I love TA for the community over everything else.

I did forget to add that SO's devs were really active and have put out some great updates.

And yes, there is online chat. You can submit your chat with your turn (meaning you can't chat in between your turns, as with most async chat).

Can't wait to see you on :)

10. Sri Ram

Sri Ram Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm new to TA, loving this place!:)

Well, I recently got an iPad 2 and got pretty hooked to it, I really enjoyed mobigames's Perfect Cell and was wondering if there are similar stealth games around. I also got Zombie: The Rescue which has been very cool so far.

So what are the best stealth games on the iOS ? Not really into easy ones(spymouse)

11. DodgerBlue016

Jun 25, 2011
    Here
    Not sure how much these will tickle your fancies but ...
    Gesundheit
    Pickpawcket
    Beat Sneak Bandit (this Is a rhythm/music one though)

12. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I would say stick with Spy Mouse. It gets much more difficult later on, especially if you try to complete all the challenges.

Also, VR Mission is pretty decent. And possibly Gameloft's Splinter Cell Conviction, but definitely wait for a $0.99 sale on that one. Considering its dropped to that price 6 times.

13. Sri Ram

Sri Ram Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Hey, thanks a lot guys, I'll look into those.
    About spymouse and VR mission, looking at videos made the levels feel pretty short and quick, but I'll surely give them a shot if the later levels offer more of a challenge. I kinda enjoyed Playing Perfect Cell the sneaky way( no kill bonus on all levels), so looking for similar fun.

Definitely waiting for a sale on Splinter Cell! :D

14. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Spy Mouse is really a must-have. Yeah the levels are usually short, but the game does get pretty tough like I said. Especially if you go for all the medals. VR Mission is just okay so you can totally pass on that.

15. Pifecta

Pifecta Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Any suggestions on third person shooters?

I just finished Dead Space and Shadowgun. Loved Dead Space and Shadowgun was fun enough and was great eye candy. I'm definitely considering Epoch. Anymore out there that are worth the $?

16. c0replay

c0replay Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2012
    Any good rpg games $4 and under?

17. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Amen to that! I've met a lot good people through GC, Plus+, OpenFeint, etc via TA. Very good community to share just about anything regarding shared iOS talk (and some other things :p). Asynchronous Multiplayer games made the experience even better!

Great to hear the Devs are active with updates. I've played several games since downloading and, it's a lot to take in, but I think I've finally got the basics down for the most part; I'm hooked. I love the complexity, ton of customization, and freedom of colonizing...it's just the type of game I was looking for. A couple more runs and I'll send you an invite...looking forward to it too. I do have a few questions I'll PM you later.

Thanks for the suggestions Sanitymops and DodgerBlue016. Both Starbase Orion and Conquist 2 are solid games for anyone into turn-based strategy games. Glad I picked them both up. :)

18. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    #1138 Jordanrracer, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    I wanna spend my $30. WTB: Sandbox genre Games!

Exactly what the title says! EDIT: I'm using an iPod Touch 4th Gen 8gb - non-jailbroken at the moment.

Also please recommend me your favorite games and I'll look into buying it!

I want devs to recommend me some of their games too, I'll consider getting it!
    -------------
    ----------
    -------
    -----
    ---
    --
    - PS: What I love most: Sandbox type games, and Online games!
    -
    --
    ----
    -------
    ----------

19. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    Sand box gta? Or particle games?

20. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member