Good idea devs please read

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by AAApplications, Sep 5, 2009.

1. AAApplications

AAApplications Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I'm going to propose an idea that will hopefully get all individual devs on the forum more app downloads.

Two options:
    First, all of us team up and make a really fun game that somehow combines ideas/characters/genre/scenery from all of our games or apps. Or we could charge $2.99 and split the profits. Everyone would buy it. The other option of option 1 would be to make the game free so every single person downloads and we put all of the applications on a credits page with links to download them.

Option 2:
    We could make a free app that we call "TA apps of the week.". What we could do with this is have 10 apps a week showcased on the app and update it with 10 new ones every week.

Please post thoughts, ideas, comments or whatever you want on this. Maybe this sparks an idea you have and please share.
    Thanks for reading!

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I doubt many people would collaborate for the first one.

The second one, however, I'll be more than glad to help you. Just...My app better be featured on it! xD

PM if you want to do the TA app thing, providing the app is free. We could really help sone of the devs here advertise their awesome apps. :)

3. 2dgamemaker

2dgamemaker Member

Mar 30, 2009
    I think if we do the second one, we will first have to start off with the best apps on the store so we gain the users trust and then we put out all of ours. The iPhone and iPod Touch users are afraid to buy from individuals so we need to somehow get them out of it by doing this.

4. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    You're right. Could this be moved to the private developer's forum? I think it would be better. ;D

How many people would we need to make an app like that? I think 10 might be too little, perhaps 100, like the iTunes Store, only our own list?

5. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I'm not a dev, but I've been wanting a TA application for awhile now.

Good luck!

6. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I think a lot of TA users would get the TA App Of The Week. Who wants to collaborate? Reply here and we'll work something out. :)

7. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I'd be into doing something like this. In order to avoid waiting to get approved each update, it could just be a UIWebView pointing at toucharcade.com/appsoftheweek/, which could be a well designed web app that could get updated each week.

8. travisdunn

travisdunn Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Developer
    Amsterdam, NL
    I'd be interested in helping with this, especially developing the backend/services part. I'll go ahead and state an open bias for Rails since it already has a lot of nice hooks for iPhone integration available.

9. mebeswordguy

mebeswordguy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    if it had a way to view toucharcade posts better than safari, that would be a good idea.

"Lets move this to the private devs forum!" I'm now afraid what kind of eveil cult you are practicing there.

10. FlagellumDei

FlagellumDei Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Male
    Programmer
    Count me too for helping to develop such an app...

11. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Well, it would of course be a UIWebView! Or a UITableView. Like an RSS feed. With Icons.

An update every week would take too long.

Heh, it would be easier to discuss source code and stuff there, since this is targeted at all TouchArcade devs.

Anyway, I don't know about doing "TouchArcade App Of The Week". Would TouchArcade be okay with it?

12. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    If you were to create such an app, you first would likely need the authority of TouchArcade to do so for your second option.

Also: Who would choose the apps? Would they be the ones displayed on the front page of TA?

13. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Exactly. If this TouchArcade App is not sanctioned by Arn, expect it to be removed from the store. You can't just take someone's IP and trademarks to make an app for your benefit, or even the benefit of many devs here ;)

Arn was looking for someone to do some iPhone programming recently, so something like this may be in planning already (or it could have been for Macrumors or AppShopper, the specifics were not given). I e-mailed him about the project but have not heard back yet... of course it's a very busy time for them at the moment with PAX, GDC, the Apple event on September 9th, etc! :D

Actually, my thoughts on a "TouchArcade App" would take it further- not only iPhone formatted news, reviews, features, but an actual in app-purchase area where you could buy mini-games created by TouchArcade dev members :)

14. AAApplications

Feb 25, 2009
    Well maybe we don't have to associate it with toucharcade maybe with someones .mac website or something.

What we could do is have developers submit their apps to be featured and the better the app the closer to the top of the list it is and the not so good the app the closer to the bottom it is. I'm not saying any apps are going to be terrible I just want independent devs to get better visability.

15. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Yeah. We could get all the newest games with the most hype (most posts in a thread here?)

We don't have to put TouchArcade in it, although the list would probably be made from games posted here or discussed the most.

16. AAApplications

Feb 25, 2009
    I think this is going to workout. Can some devs post what role they would want to help create the app.

As for the apps we will choose, we will set up an email address and have devs send an email to have there app put on the app (ha ha). Post suggestions and ideas.

17. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I think I can make the main structure of the app. Tab bars, segmented controls, etc.

18. Touchsmiths

Touchsmiths Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
    I'd love to help out and be a part of this.