Upcoming Monster Wars game from the Creative Director of The Batman cartoon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MassiveJoe, Sep 13, 2011.

1. MassiveJoe

MassiveJoe Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    #1 MassiveJoe, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
    Touch Arcade Forum Peoples!

Massive Joe Studios is excited to give a sneak preview of our first title, Monster Wars: Rocks Paper Scissors. When we started this game, our one guiding principal was, "If Michael Bay were to make a Rocks Paper Scissor game, what would that look like?" (or, IMBWTMARPSGWWTLL for short). We'd like to think Monster Wars is that game. MW is an asynchronous, Words With Friends style game where you can send your friends challenges, include trash talk, and a friendly wager ("loser has to buy dinner" "loser has to wear their underwear outside of their pants for a day"..you get the point). The game features eight iconic monsters battling out to determine the ruler of the world. These characters are created by Jeff Matsuda, Emmy Award winning Producer and Creative Director behind The Batman cartoon series.

We're targeting an October launch date. Here's a look at our first character, tentatively called Mas Matiki:
    [​IMG]

Mas is a space alien sent to planet earth to determine whether or not it had suitable resources for the Devornian race to occupy. Here's a video preview of Mas doing his Rocks Paper Scissor move:

[hqyoutube]8X4xR4SPFw4[/hqyoutube]

As you'd imagine, Mas likes brain teasers (rim shot!).

And now for some fun. Below is a picture of our character lineup with all the other characters blacked out (oooooh, mysterious.....). If you can guess what any of the other monsters are, we'll send you an autographed printout (by Jeff Matsuda, of course, cause you probably don't give a crap about our dev guy, who is deeply offended by that) of that character (we were going to offer vinyl toy versions, but then we checked the pricing, vomited, and remembered that we are an indie studio). And if you ever see us in person, we will personally give you the most awesomest high five evar.
    [​IMG]

For one random person, we'll also send an autographed printout of our full character lineup. That will be signed by our lawyer, who is an awesome guy but has nothing to do with the game.

Let us know what you think! And let the guessing begin! Check back for more photos as we'll reveal one character a day (or around that), and like our Facebook Fan Page to stay posted on updates!!

2. sidetwo

sidetwo Well-Known Member

Very cool! Love the idea behind it and the awesome art design. Nice work guys!

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    OMG. So awesome :D

4. MassiveJoe

MassiveJoe Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Day 2 - Introducing Prototype MJS7

Thanks for the kind words so far. Today we're introducing Prototype MJS7, the killer robot. Here's his yearbook picture:
    [​IMG]

Prototype MJS7 is the last in a series of prosumer killing machines. Proto-M, as he is called by his robot buddies, was purposely programed wrong, as a joke. As a result, he is incapable of depth perception. Luckily his cannons blast everything in their path and do not rely on depth perception.

Here's Proto-M in action:
    [hqyoutube]yZPbYBsuhVk[/hqyoutube]

As I said last time, we're trying to make the baddest, most awesomest version of Rocks Paper Scissors ever!

Don't forget to give us your thoughts. Here's the updated lineup, if you guess what the other guys are we'll send you a prize (mentioned in first post).
    [​IMG]

And, as always, if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it, and you should like our Fan Page. And tell other people about this!!!

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh wow, that gun is so impressive that he has :)

6. Kaewen

Kaewen New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    really impressed by the artwork - looks console quality! nice work MassiveJoe!

7. SiXX

SiXX Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Game Developer
    Bangkok
    A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I wanna see the gameplay!

8. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    is the second to last picture a Sasquatch of some kind and the two little ones children of the corn lol great art by the way

9. ToySoldier

ToySoldier Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    I love the robot character. The speed at which he goes from picking scissors to opening fire with all the guns was perfectly timed.

10. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    :eek:
    AWESOME looking. Another game to keep on my radar.

11. MassiveJoe

MassiveJoe Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yougotitmang!

Nice! Not quite Sasquatch, but close enough. And ditto children of the corn. I'll reveal the designs tomorrow, but in the meantime PM me your info and we'll get that signed char sent your way!

12. MassiveJoe

MassiveJoe Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Metoh the Yeti!

First order of business - a little bird let us know that someone else is already coming out with a Monster Wars game. So instead of creating any beef amongst indie game devs (we gotta stick together!), we decided to change the name of the game to Age of Monsters. Frankly, we kinda like the new title better anyway. Hope you guys do as well!!

Next, congrats to @dreadnok for guessing Sasquatch! It's actually not Sasquatch but he's Metoh the Yeti. But in our underachieving world, that's close enough for us!!! :)

Metoh, Tibetan for “man-bear” has been living in a small village of Yeti in the Himalayan mountains. Prior to the 19th century, Yeti were often worshipped as gods of the mountains. However, as Buddhism spread across the region, the Yeti found themselves without worshippers, and began to retreat into isolation. Metoh, bored of his small town existence, and eager to feed his thirst for action, descended into the modern world.

Many in his village consider Metoh the Brad Pitt of Yeti. You be the judge:
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for the kind words! There are still many monsters to guess! See the first post for info about the giveaway. In the meantime, here's the updated lineup, keep the guesses coming!!
    [​IMG]

Last, but not least, if you're eager to get all the latest news on Age of Monsters, you should like our fan page and follow us on twitter! But if you're too lazy, for the love of God, at least leave a comment here and let us know whether you like what you're seeing or not. Stop lurking! Come into the light!!!

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Was about to say Yeti!! :D Lol, peace out!

14. Salamandaga

Salamandaga Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Dig the characters! good too see a unique approach for iOS games too!

Is Matsuda doing the animation as well?

15. MassiveJoe

MassiveJoe Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! Jeff is doing character design, but we have a very talented animator on board to help is with that department, under Jeff's supervision.

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Can't see why no one else mentioned it, but bottom left - electric octopus!

Top left is a "big" (understatement) sheriff dude

The middle-top-left is a witch or warlock of some kind, with devil wings

Bottom-right are Tag Team Twins (hooray for alliteration), boy and girl. I'll bet the girl is wearing a beret. Oh, and they're probably evil. Eeeeeeviiiiill. :D

The guy with long legs on the bottom HAS to be Dean from Iron Giant:
    (he's holding what looks like a coffee cup, lol)

[​IMG]

I'm really liking the art style - looking very nice.

17. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Close enough works for me, thanks

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I suppose it's too early to ask for file size, release date or price(lol), but when can we see a gameplay video or screenshot?

19. MassiveJoe

MassiveJoe Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Doh

Dude, Echoseven you get an A for effort. Unfortunately you went 0.5 for 4 :p The kids are definitely twins and evil, so gave you the 0.5 :cool:

We've been staring at these characters for so long it's hard for us not to see the silhouettes as what they actually are, but it's fun seeing what you guys are coming up with!

But keep them guesses coming!!!

20. MassiveJoe

MassiveJoe Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Details

File size we're slaving away to try to keep it under 20MB, don't know if we'll make it. Shooting to launch in first half of October (many sleepless nights for us!), and will be free-to-play with six characters free, and two of them premium.

Trailer and screenshots coming soon! Stay posted here or like our Fan Page!