Password for games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PNVG, Dec 16, 2016.

1. PNVG

PNVG New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Hi,
    I would like to ask developers and forum members a question.
    Is it possible to make a game for iOS and make it free to download and then install it and when it runs for the first time, it would ask your for a password to continue?.
    I know thereĀ“s promo codes but that is limited to 100 and its not good for what Im looking to achieve.
    Does Apple allow something like a password?.
    This would be useful if you would make an app or game for a brand and the app/game would be free for the consumers of that brand and the way consumers would have access, would be with passwords.
    So, do you think its possible or do you know another way to achieve the same result?.
    Thank you.

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Apps like 1Password require a password to open so it seems doable.

3. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    If I recall correctly, you need prior written permission Apple to allow outside purchases to unlock in-game content that is not available as an in-app purchase.
    There is a clause about this in the review guidelines Apple publishes.

4. PNVG

PNVG New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Hi,
    The idea is not to sell the app but to give it for free to their customers. If I could make an app that has only a welcome screen and a request for a password, I could achieve that. What I don't know is if Apple, being as is, would allow me to do it.
    I think theres only one way to find out and its to make one and see what is the outcome.
    Thanks.

5. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I can think of a few apps that do that, like Amazon Instant Video, Netflix (before they added IAP subscriptions) and YNAB.