Shoot Shoota By Team Dropkick

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ktfright, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Link to video

Here is another game I've been working on. The video shows it in landscape, but it is a portrait view game. Also, it was shown on the simulator.

Its a top down shooter with tower defense elements, and you are trying to keep your planet safe from alien enemies. If your planet dies, then its game over.

Im still waiting to buy my apple developer license, so all the other games I'm working on plus this have to wait till I can scroung up 100 bucks. Tell me what you think so far. ( And If someone knows how to embed a video better than how I did, can you help me out?:))

*****Also, music is done by me too.

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
  3. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    thanks!!!

4. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Damn. I thought people liked top down shooters. :confused:

5. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #5 Prab, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    I think people just haven't seen the thread yet :p

Anyway, isnt this a sidescrolling shooter instead of a topdown? I just wanted to get my terminology right lol

By the way, the video looks great (soundtrack, graphics), but it does look a little boring. Most shmups these days use big boss levels (like really huge), even more awesome graphics (particles), powerup systems, upgradable equipment, tiny ships that fly by your side, insane variety of enemy ships, so im just wondering what you have in mind for your game. Its going to be tough competing against the current games.

EDIT: It will be cool if you can make a rotational shooter (not like Kryzer). I mean that the center of gravity is the planet and you can shoot outwards and the controls would be positioning the ship around the planet and how far away from the planet (just drag around). The planet could just be this little circle in the middle (not big like it is now). I think this would make the tower defense elements more obvious. Especially maybe if you can build some capabilities on the planet and maybe also deploy tactical sattelites that orbit around the planet helping you shoot enemies or provide a shield. Or some tactical sattelites can also shoot a projection of the planet so enemies think the planet is somewhere else. Hmmm... im on a roll :p

6. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Yeah, on the simulator, it only shows up i landscape, but it should be in portrait mode.

Yeah, I have a bunch of stuff I want to add, and I have a long list of bosses I want to add too. I assure you, I'll do my best to not make a boring weak game.

7. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Kt I have got to give props to you for making 1. A good top down sh'mup, 2. FANTASTIC MUSIC!!! Are you gonna sell that soundtrack on iTunes? That was friggin' amazing! Btw, best of luck in sales! :)

8. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I like that, but could you draw up something to see what you mean. I halfway understand what you mean, but I just can't picture it in my head.

9. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Just saw the thread...I like the retro music for the soundtrack...but I gotta agree with Prab, the actual gameplay needs something to jazz it up

10. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Yeah, that song is an instrumental from one of my raps songs, from a sega genesis or something.

I always liked shmups like raidenX, and I have a features that pay some homage to it.

11. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Back to adding some features then.

12. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #12 Prab, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
    see my PM :)

13. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Im on my iPod so I don't have pics at the moment, but I was able to add something that was worthwhile...

If you saw the vdeo before, just pretend that there are 2 smaller ships on the sides of you when you get too a certain level with points. They help by shooting bullets of their own, but heir bullets are half as weak as your regular bullets.

Another feature I had was a space grenade like weapon that after a second, blows up and shoots a bullet in four corner directions effectively hitting any other enemies, but that is in the works now.

Prab drew up some stuff for me to look at, and iwant to implement most if the things he said into this, mostly because what he showed me would hnestly make the game better with a richer featureset.

Well, I'm back to work...

14. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Here is a pic of the new weapon add-on I'm doing...

Screen shot 2009-11-08 at 7.35.43 PM.png

You get those blue weapons to help you for a short amount of time, and they help when you are in a jam.

More to come...:D

15. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    lol... Yeah... I gave some pretty crazy ideas. Keep us informed ktfright. I'll be curious which ones you decide to integrate in the game :)

16. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Don't worry, you'll be surprised.:rolleyes:

17. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Team Dropkick?? thats the most awesome dev name ive ever heard :D

18. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Thanks, had to come up with something that sounded kickass.

19. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Someone should make team kickass lol

20. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California