Game Idea: Turn-Based, Multiplayer FPS (devs, feel free to use this idea)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SunriseMoon, Apr 17, 2010.

1. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    #1 SunriseMoon, Apr 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
    Hi devs (and everyone else), I just had a great idea for a multiplayer game! A turn-based first person shooter! I mean turn-based in the way that Wolfenstein RPG and Doom II RPG are turn based.

Basic gameplay
    Essentially, it's a death match, you against your friend or a computer. You move, pass the iPhone to your friend, then they move, etc.. This might mean slow gameplay, but you could make it so you get 3 moves per turn rather than only 1, and only 1 during fighting.

Power-ups
    Health packs, syringes (injected power-ups that can be used to take up a turn), ability to pick up new weapons, ammo, etc.

Modes
    Local multiplayer: Pass and play with a friend. Can play with computers or without.
    Wifi multiplayer: Self-explanatory. Can play with computers or without.
    Bluetooth multiplayer: Self-explanatory. Can play with computers or without.
    Worldwide online multiplayer: Would be awesome. Can add computers to a match or leave them out so more people can play. Would be turn-based.
    One-Player Mode: Can play against computers (up to three).
    Story Mode: (one player only) A tyrannical dictator has taken over your country. Join the rebellion and fight for justice (final boss would be dictator), or join the army and fight against the rebellion (final boss would be leader of rebellion). The choice of who to join would decide the ending.
    More Episodes (via In-App purchase): Need more one-player-y goodness? Buy a new episode via In-App purchase for more missions, minigames, and multiple story modes. Each episode would come with up to 3 new characters, 5 new weapons, 1 new arena, a few missions, 1 minigame, and one alternate story mode. Also, more obstacles, buildings, etc. to use in the arena creator would be included.
    Zombie Horde Mode: 1 - 4 players band together to see how long they can survive against hordes of zombies (endless).

Arenas
    Warehouse: Can kick open some boxes (inside are powerups or animals).
    The Docks: Can kick opponent into the water if they are on the edge
    The Mall: Money can be found on the ground and then can be used to purchase powerups inside shops.
    (unlockable) Nazi base: Is unlocked when Nazi soldier is unlocked. Syringes can be created at medicine machines if the player has an empty syringe.
    (unlockable) American base: Weapons can be found in weapon cabinets.
    (unlockable) Graveyard: Zombies enemies rise up out of the ground and attack all players. Is unlocked when 10 hordes are defeated in Zombie Horde mode.
    (unlockable) Blimp: Flying in the air. Can kick opponent off the blimp if they are on the edge.
    (unlockable) Arena Creator: Create your own arena! Find objects in story mode to use in the arena creator. You can save your level in 3 slots, and you can upload the level to the internet for others to download or to play in Online-Multiplayer.

Characters
    Scientist: +25 to all syringes.
    Escaped Experiment: +25 damage (for weapon attacks).
    Male protagonist: Carries a gun no one else can carry.
    Female protagonist: Carries a gun no one else can carry.
    (unlockable) Nazi soldier: +25 speed.
    (unlockable) American soldier: +50 when using a syringe that brings up your strength.
    (unlockable) Zombie: Carries a chainsaw. Is unlocked when 50 zombie hordes are defeated in Zombie Horde mode.

The game would play just like Wolfenstein RPG. Devs feel free to use this idea (and please do!)

2. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    You ever think about making games yourself?
    Clearly you are creative.

A little googling and you on your way
    These days there are a number of tools out there to assist in learning and creating

3. SunriseMoon

Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks! I thought about it, but never got around to learning Objective-C.

4. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    nice to see someone else posting some ideas :) good stuff...

I'm not too familiar with games like Wolfenstein RPG. I have seen gameplay vids of course, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan of the genre.

However, this idea really sounds like a legitimate feature to add to any TB-FPS game, or more ambitiously build an original IP from the ground up, leveraging multi-player as a way to stand out in the crowd.

just keep in mind tho, some ideas that sound reallly good on paper, sometimes dont work out well in reality, but dont let that bum you out tho :)

5. SunriseMoon

Sep 22, 2009
    I understand that some of the things I put in the idea would be pretty hard to implement, but not impossible.

6. SunriseMoon

Sep 22, 2009
  7. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    Cool. Good stuff