JCho's Sci-Fi Game Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JCho133, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #1 JCho133, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    6/8/14. Official Renaming!
    Thanks to the help of TouchArcade Janitor Eli Hodapp, this thread is now called JCho's Sci-Fi Game List

5/24/15 Second Grand Opening
    Begins on page 7. I'll continue doing mini showcases of upcoming sci-fi games there.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Just thought I'd state the obvious and point out the great Sci-fi games we've gotten recently and the ones that are soon to come out the pipeline.

I've always been more partial to sci-fi than fantasy, so I thought I'd just outline a few things

We got Republique not too long ago, which was the first part of a fantastic dystopian tale

Another adventure game at the same time was Abducted, an engrossing sci-fi tale of a dangerous alien world

We got Calculords and Beyond Space recently, the first being more of a sci-fi them and the latter being a decent space shooter.

Also, we got Out There, which is one of the best iOS games I've ever played, filled with an amazingly dreadful sci-fi atmosphere, which had an Alien or Blade Runner feel, despite the bright and vivid visuals. Just filled to the brim with my favorite sci-fi concepts like black holes, aliens, super advanced technology, and much more. The sense of discovery is the best part of all. Undoubtedly in my top 5 games on iOS.

This week, we got Mines of Mars, who's atmosphere is similar to Waking Mars, Out There and Alien. It has an ominous feeling being down in those caves, and I dig it. You feel the sense of exploration and discovery of Waking Mars and Out There, and feeling a sense of dread and hopelessness of Out There and Alien. These feelings are definitely toned down compared to it's comparison, preventing it from surpassing any, but they are there nonetheless. It tells a great atmospheric sci-fi tale with a Metroid feel. It combines alien life with cool technology and an engrossing story for something really unique, thanks to the crafting system. A game that is definitely now in my top 10 iOS games.

Heck, even Block Fortress:War has sci-fi elements. There's cool races each with their own interesting and distinct back stories and technology

Next, the game Star Horizon is on the horizon (;)) which has some beautiful Star Fox style rail shooting as well as decisions to make, where you can alter your path through the game.

Another game is Gunship X, which is kinda like Zombie Gunship with aliens, but 5 times better.

Drifter is in Steam Early Access, so, (fingers crossed) the iOS version should be coming sooner than later

We mustn't forget that FTL: AE is coming as well, which is very welcome in my book. I'm pumped to dive into that on my iDevice

And yes, Warballoon has also stated that they have a big update that is almost ready for reveal, so more should be expected on that soon.

Also on the update front, Strike Wing: Raptor Rising is getting huge 1.3 update, which adds tons of content, like improved visuals and the first part of it's campaign mode

Finally, we have Exile: Far Colony coming this summer. A fantastic looking open world sci-fi RPG.

Now is a great time to have an iDevice if you love sci-fi, and is another great reason why the iOS platform should be taken more seriously, because some of the best games in the genre our coming out on here right now.

Also, if you couldn't tell, I love bleak, hard
    Sci-Fi.

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

It gets better

Proven Lands, now on Kickstarter
    Planned for PC, IOS, Android

It's a hard sci-fi (as in realistic and more science than fiction) sandbox survival roguelike
    You can download the early pre-alpha demo here

3. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    That looks amazing. Hopefully that Kickstarter gets kickstarted, it's got quite some time so I think it will.

Also, can I get your email? I would PM you but PM doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Sure

[email protected]

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Looks fantastic Bronxsta... Hopefully it gets funded.

Great list JCho. I'dd add Abducted to that list too ;)

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Done :D

7. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I've been beta testing RymdResa which sound like something you'd enjoy too, not sure when it's releasing but it feels pretty finished

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh I forgot about that one! Been looking forward to that too.

Also there's the just announced "Space Noir" which is a fantastic looking dogfighter from the Deus Ex: The Fall dev.

9. digikhel

digikhel Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Design, Dev, and marketing
    Bangalore, India
    If I had any clue there were suddenly going to be so many space games, I'd have released Orion's gold much earlier! :p

Now here I am, set for a March 20th release and am trying to figure out how best to stand out amongst all these space worthy armadas! :D

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Looks line a pretty cool resource focused game, hope your release goes well :D

11. digikhel

digikhel Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Design, Dev, and marketing
    Bangalore, India
    Thank you! I hope so too! ;)

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Glorkian Warrior says hi.

Aliens, blasters, oddities... Definitely sci fi. :)

13. anteye5

anteye5 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    There's also a couple more that are in the works Contact and Surreal system.

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh yeah, I remember seeing those. Contact looks amazingly ambitious, which is awesome. I need to go look at SS again. I only remember hearing it's name

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #15 TheFrost, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    JCho, from your OP I see you dont mention WAKING MARS at all. If you havent played, you are wasting time, go now and buy it. Similar to Out There in regards of sheer pure amazing quality. On my TOP10 All Time Games without doubt!

And its on sale now, never been a better time :)

Definitely :)

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Haha of course I have! I actually did mention it when talking about Mines of Mars :p

But WM came out 2 years ago, this article was about the past 2-3 months and the upcoming 2-3 for the most part, which was why I didn't make a little write up for it

17. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Will No Man's Sky come out on iOS I wonder?

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I can dream :p

But at the moment it seems highly unlikely

19. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
  20. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    #20 vii-Lucky, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    I'm not really engage to Sci-Fi games.

But Sci-Fi RPG hell yeah! (recommendations?)