2D artist looking for work

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by risingfrom, Jul 16, 2010.

1. risingfrom

risingfrom New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    CO
    Hello all,

I am looking for some freelance work in-between projects. With 3 years of professional game development experience I have worked on a wide range of projects contributing: animation, tile-maps, static sprites, UI, backgrounds, textures, etc.

Please check out my blog for additional examples of my work.
    http://workingpixel.wordpress.com/

If interested or have any questions please PM or email me at:
    workingpixel(at)gmail(dot)com

Thank you for checking out this post and my work.
    Here are some examples of some of the things I have done in the past:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Coventine

Coventine New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Your work is gorgeous.

I'm curious about the sprite in the first picture. Did you make him with the pixel by pixel method or was that drawn and then reduced to the size you want?

I've been meaning to try making sprites for a while but I've heard that good sprites like that are made pixel by pixel. That method just sounds way too depressing and tedious:(

3. risingfrom

risingfrom New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    CO
    Thank you, glad you liked it.

From my experience I find that drawing an image and then scaling it down really does not help much, as far as making the sprite. You end up redrawing over it and that work is not translated into the sprite. Drawing a larger concept might help in figuring out details or the style you may want. Once you work with pixel art for awhile you will find a method and learn the "rules". Its not as slow as you think. I usually start with a fast outline drawing of the object, the same size as the final sprite. I use a one pixel brush and this is very dirty. I then go back and fix the pixels one at a time, block out simple colors, then do shading or finer detail. I also work in modular pieces, the parts of the body are all separate. So its one small part at a time. As you do it more you will learn how to save time in your own personal workflow and can plan ahead, cutting out many steps.

4. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    Very impressive...I really like it...I see a bright future for you..sadly though your not the type if artist I'm looking for..but I'm sure lots of peope are..GOOD LUCK!!!