iPhone Battle Academy by slitherine Ltd.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Werechihuahua, Mar 14, 2012.

1. PipFromSlitherine

PipFromSlitherine Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    You can deselect a unit by tapping it's icon at the bottom left of the screen, on the info panel.

There is also an option on the options screen to auto-deselect a unit after giving it an order.

Cheers

Pip

2. Monolith

Monolith Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Perfect!

Man, it'd be so much easier to commit to this if it weren't $50.

3. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    You still get a lot of game for $20, the three additional expansion campaigns (France, Market Garden and Sealion) are $10 each. You can also download user-created scenarios and campaigns for free! ;)

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    While still playing Battle Academy mp (which is nothing short of amazing) I checked Siltherine forums and discovered they are porting a medieval BA game which looks freaking amazing and Panzer Corps.
    So I did this huge mistake at work today, and downloaded Panzer Corps demo.

I was sold at the intro.

Please, be fast and get my money.

5. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Yes I can't wait either! I would implore Slitherine to have a lite version of Panzer Corps (demo) release on the same day as the full version. I have a nagging feeling that the BA lite version releasing 6+ months after the full version originally hit may have been a tactical error, but I hope I'm wrong and that it's drawing in plenty of new wargamers!

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yeah I always think (no matter the game or how niche is the genre) a demo should be concurrent to the actual product, to use every bit of momentum it can get.
    I'm still astonished TouchArcade hasn't praised the game yet.
    Ok, it may be niche but I found it very accessibile and I think they could use and please a broader audience.
    Whoever tries the demo can like it or dislike it, see the game is for him or not, but it surely can't argue that the price/content ratio is unfair.
    But I can already imagine the meltdown...

Anyway...the sounds of Panzer Corps are so awesome I'm totally immersed in it despite the absence of animations.

Having neglected this genre for far too long, I have a question...related to Battle Academy and similar upcoming titles in general.

Is there an option for CO OP ?
    Playing some great async co op games recently (like StarBase Orion) I found I dig them a lot more if I play with friends in co op mode, instead of versus mode.
    I LOVE cohordinating attacks, aid and be aided, and such.
    CO OP in these games seems a no brainer...but I didn't found anything...just competitive games.

I would love to split some airborne rangers and tanks with a firend of mine, and try togheter to get on that damn hill at Omaha beach.

Is there something like that?
    Or is it planned (BA or other games too)?

7. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    Coop is not currently supported. It's on my personal wishlist, but we just haven't found a point where we could get the time to implement it (and we'd also need to build some missions to take advantage, etc etc).

But thanks for letting us know that coop is something that you would like to see.

Cheers

Pip

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks!!!
    Yeah I think CO OP is great fun and a nice diversion from versus games.
    Coordinating and battling togheter for survival and reach key points is a whole different order of tension IMHO.
    Actually I'm surprised they aren't a 'staple' of this genre already like versus mode, seems almost a perfect fit to me.
    I'm glad you are at least considering it for future projects/mods.

I know this isn't the right place and moment but I'm hopelessly psyched about PanzerCorps coming to iPad...I remained an hour more in office just to siege Warsaw (the demo first mission) and I had a total blast.
    A game I knew NOTHING about 3 days ago except having a vague reminiscence about people raving about Panzer General back in the days.
    Consider it a sell already.

9. Monolith

Dec 20, 2010
    Bought it, love it! My budget is busted for a while, though :(

10. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    #490 Emos, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    Don't worry, the core game will have tons of material for the $20: Three campaigns with a total of 28 missions, a random skirmish mode, an allied and axis special op mission. You can also download user-created content and multiplayer is just the icing on the cake.
    Some of the missions are very challenging and will take a lot a time to plan your turns. I just completed the COBRA mission in the Normandy campaign, wow was that brutal. One German Tiger is enough to strike fear into the hearts of allied armor, having to face a pack of the big cats is demoralizing to say the least! Not to spoil anything (unless you know your WWII history) the mission starts out so promising with you kicking butt and taking names but you hit a reversal soon enough ;)
    One tip from me for what it's worth: whenever you have an opportunity to buy self-propelled artillery and/or mortar units, do so! Even if bombarding doesn't destroy a unit, it will still generate suppression (a mortar round detonating against a Tiger turret won't even scratch the paint but it'll ring the crews bell, think of sticking your head in an iron pot and having someone whacking it with a sledgehammer :p) Bombardment units also do wonders against entrenched units and the 88s...you will learn to fear the flak88s!

11. Slitherine Iain

Slitherine Iain Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2011
    We've just released a 2.0.7 update that fixes a couple of nasty bugs. In 2.0.6 we introduced a crash in Spanish which is now fixed and some people were having trouble downloading additional campaigns so the in app purchases should be easier to grab now. If you are still having problems with either feature let us know.

We also updated the Lite version to fix these issues.

12. Arq24

Arq24 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    how does it play on ipad mini?
    and when is android version out?
    thx

13. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Should play as well as it does on iPad 2 because the Mini has the same proc. However, small text could be an issue.

14. Monolith

Dec 20, 2010
    Alright, one more small (yet aggravating) problem: Fire support is all over the place, and unless you use it enough to remember the exact footprint of each type of fire support, you run the risk of nuking your own units every time.

I realize it's not supposed to be perfectly accurate, but there should at least be a known area of effect -- how about highlighting those areas of effect when you target a spot for artillery/bombing? I just killed half a dozen of my tanks because i confused a B17 bombardment with a less powerful (lancaster?) bombardment from earlier in the game.

15. Monolith

Dec 20, 2010
    How the hell do you win "Operation Cobra"? By the time I manage to take out the Tigers I have almost no units left, with 3 checkpoints left to grab in like 10 turns. It's ridic.

16. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah Cobra is one of the hardest missions in the whole game. I lucked out in killing a Tiger and I kept bombarding the other two to keep them suppressed while I worked on gaining the other VPs. If you try to go toe to toe vs any of the German Big Cats you're gonna have a bad time ;)

17. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    Hey guys - posting here because I know a lot of iPad players check out this thread, and it will definitely be good if we can get your ideas and feedback about where to go next with the iPad version of BA!

We're excited to announce the opening of a new forum dedicated to the next iteration of Battle Academy - Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front. BA 2 will feature the much requested Eastern Front in all its scope and ferocity. Lots of new units, new features, and new campaigns.

Even better, we are going to be using an open development process, where you can both suggest and comment on new features as we design them, and (later in the process) play with Alpha and Beta version far sooner than has been our usual approach.

We're really enthusiastic about this new way for us to develop our games, and we hope to see you in the new forum, giving us your ideas and feedback.

Check out the new forum here:
    http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=221

Cheers

Pip

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #498 Pitta, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Woah, fantastic!

EDIT: WOAH WOAH WOAH....the whole feature list is nothing short of amazing but I must confess I'm embarrassingly hyped for CO OP!!!!

I know it's premature but....any (even vague) tentative timeframe?

I really do not know what I'm more hyped about now.
    Panzer Corps iPad or Battle Academy 2 iPad.

19. PipFromSlitherine

Mar 15, 2012
    No timeline yet - although we'll be pushing hard to try and be out in 2013.

Cheers

Pip

20. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    ETA on panzer corps?