Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Yes, it's an amazing game.
    No, it badly needs a patch.

Probably the same reason TA hasn't reviewed it yet. It's like a Ferrari with a really bad paint job, would you buy it?!

2. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    I will wait too then

3. AEREC

AEREC Active Member

Sep 11, 2010
    I.T.
    Seattle
    Any word on the patch...I just remeber them saying it's at apple and would be a week...That was in mid-december.

Not sure how people are enjoying the game with the state it's in now (mainly touch issues).

4. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    They pulled the patch several times.
    Yesterday they we're going to upload a new version, till they found another bug, so it's pulled again..
    so who knows... getting annoyed with it, since I am still at the beginning and can't play it, due to the save game issue..

5. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    PC patch dropped yesterday and fixed around 140 issues. Same fix is supposedly in review for iPad, and it should enable cross-platform muliplayer, bring the "smart radius" feature, and support for iPad 1 and iOS 5.1.

You can see the fixes in the PC version here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14519/game-update-1-0-2012

6. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Oh, yeah, lots of great and much needed fixes!
    I'm looking forward to the iPad update, I'm anxious to see how they've dealt with the iOS specific issues we've been having.
    :)

7. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I'm very new to this and I am struggling greatly. I am right at the start of the game and have to get to some mines to the south. I have to rest after each fight (recharge spells) and take multiple attempts to get past most encounters.

Any tips for the early game? I have not even levelled up any of my party (six members) and made my own adventurer, he's an elf ranger.

8. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I made a thread here that should help you out:

Basic tips for new players.

One thing I can tell you from the get go, is not to rush the main quest in the beginning, explore, explore, explore, and take minor side quests to help youngest stronger, level up and ease you into the game.

The mines at Nashkel will wait for you. :)

9. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Ipad 1 is only minimal support.. so basicly it's not supported due to not much memory.
    Min specs is Ipad2.

Trent Oster‏@TrentOster

We're uploading the new 2012 build to the iTunes App Store with 5.1 support. The iPad 1 is at the memory limit. We really suggest an iPad 2

10. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm really surprised they've not recommending an ipad3 as its totally unplayable on my ipad2. Cant go more than 3-4 mins without crashing no matter what you do. :(

As much fun as the game is, I would recommend any ipad2 owners NOT to buy it.

11. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    They don't need to recommend an iPad 3 because the major 2012 build patch (which isn't out yet) addresses many memory issues affecting earlier devices, including the iPad 2 (although many other people are running the game on that model without it crashing anywhere near as often as you claim).

The problem with the first-generation iPad is that it has simply proven not to have enough memory for the developers to work with to get it fully stable, no matter what they try, so they're going to release this upcoming first-gen compatible update because they promised they would, but they're also going to include a warning about the likelihood of instability on such outdated devices.

They might be able to get this issue fully sorted for first-gen iPads in a later patch, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that, and quite frankly I wouldn't expect them to bother beating their collective heads against the wall trying to get BG2:EE to run on those devices at all. In fact, if the majority of the feedback from first-gen iPad users ends up being one-star reviews, complaints and demands for refunds from people who can't read disclaimers, then it's almost a certainty that the developers will just skip that device entirely for the sequel.

12. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I've got both an iPad 2 and iPad 3, and have no problems on either device.
    I think you may have been neglecting to force your other apps to shutdown prior to playing BG:EE as the game is extremely memory hungry.

If you don't know how, do the following:

Double press the home button, and you'll see a list of all apps currently in memory at the bottom of the screen.

Tap and hold one of the icons down for two seconds - they will start to "wiggle" and a small "x" will appear on the upper left corner.

Press the x on every open app to shut it down and you'll release more memory on your iPad.

Another solution is to completely restart your iPad.

BG:EE may still crash from time to time, but nowhere near as often as you mention.
    For this and a host of other reason, quick save often.

13. Boudecea

Boudecea Member

Mar 4, 2012
    I have two sons playing Baldurs Gate on ipad 2 with no problems other than a bit fiddly to pick items up of the ground and even then their not bothered about that.They've played since before xmas and one has completed the game and started his second playthrough.

14. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Hi Mene, sounds like you did not have any luck with the troubleshooting yet :(
    I still think that is a problem specific to your BGEE installation, but without any diagnostics data I really cannot come up with a better explanation than what I wrote before (runs out of memory because the RAM is still filled with other stuff). And we already ruled out overheating.

@Bytebrain: You got any other ideas that could help Mene? We covered the "close all other stuff and reboot your iPad" a few pages ago, and it did not help.

@Mene: Did you try reinstalling BGEE already? If you still want to get it to work properly, I am quite sure I am not the only one here willing to help you out.
    You can post the crashlogs from iOS and from SystemConsole here, or send them to me via PM. While I am not an iOS developer or a programmer, I can get some basic info from them that might help finding out more.

15. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Try disabling Gamecenter and running it in Airplane mode.

It's a long shot, but might help. In some cases in the past Game Center would cause frequent crashes (Summoner Wars and Magic 2013 come to mind...), and of course, not running GC and the connection handlers would hopefully free up a marginal amount of memory...

Other than this, no ideas whatsoever, sorry.

16. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    It's probably mentioned in ByteBrain's link, but my suggestion is to focus on ranged weapons. Only your roughest, toughest fighter-types should bother with melee at all. Even if your squishies don't know how to use missile weapons, buy them slings and bows anyway. They'll get some lucky hits, and most importantly, stay well out of the fray.

In fact, I often gear up my one, toughest warrior for maximum AC, and s/he's the only one to wade into melee. Everybody else fires missiles from afar. Find your warrior with the best dex and the most hit points, equip him with the best plate mail and shield you can get (don't forget a helmet), and send him in first so he takes the brunt of every attack.

Here are some spoilers for some easy-to-get essential tank gear:

Ankheg Plate Mail - Almost as good as full plate and a lot lighter, you can get a free set of it in Nashkel if you look for a secret spot on the western edge of the farmer's field.

Bracers of Dexterity - Sets dex to 18, recommend for any main tank who doesn't already have 17 dex or better, otherwise you might want to give it to an archer. You can get this by killing the ogre bandits on the bridge leading to the Gnoll Stronghold. The Gnoll Stronghold is located in the southwest corner of the map.

Large Shield +1 - available for purchase at the smith in Beregost or the shop in Nashkel. High strength requirement, but gives an extra bonus to AC against missiles.

Ring of Protection +1 - various protection items can be bought here or there, but it's easy to get one as a quest reward for finding a letter off some ogres on the road south of Beregost and returning it to a worried lady who lives north of the Beregost smithy.

Slap those four items and any helmet on a warrior and you've got a -6 AC with additional bonuses to various attack types and immunity to critical hits. Good luck killing that guy, monsters. And while they try, the rest of the party can pick them off.

17. devensega

Feb 28, 2011
    Thanks all, exactly what I was looking for. I think I will be ok as soon as I level ups bit, they are very fragile at the moment. I'm just going to hover around the starting castle till I'm all buff.

18. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Baldur's gate isn't an action RPG - you can't really just wander around farming mobs. For one, respawning doesn't happen very often, two, monsters you can kill won't provide much experience, and three, health potions are expensive early on, so it would take a lot of time to do it that way. The best thing to do is push forward, build a balanced party, and complete quests - those provide the most experience (aside from defeating higher level enemies, but they can be very dangerous).

19. devensega

Feb 28, 2011
    I have it sorted now. I just have a tank at front and everyone else just hammers em with whatever missiles they have. Tis a lot easier.

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Ahh, sorry, I didn't realize that, and I've even been following this thread from the beginning... Maybe I've got a case of light early onset dementia? :)

Sorry, I don't have any other suggestions other than maybe look through the troubleshooting threads on the iPad section in the official forums.
    I think I recall someone else having issues with constant crashing even after doing a reboot...
    Don't recall if he got his issues resolved though...

Hopefully when the iOS patch finally lands on the AppStore it'll be fixed. I know they've been working hard on optimizing the memory requirements of the game.