Story from a project I did in school.

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by snowdude11, Jan 7, 2011.

1. snowdude11

snowdude11 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I have a story line that I could email to anyone. You can keep the story just include my username for TA in the credits and that will be fine.

I am looking for it to turn into a TD game, but it is totally up to you.

I ask for no money either, just credit for my story.

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Maybe tell us a bit more about this story? How long it is, how many characters, if it needs art, what genre it is? Also, you might want to post an excerpt of it so we know it's quality.

3. snowdude11

Jul 14, 2010
    Just 2 characters, or I should say teams. It should play on any ipod touch or iphone. I would need everything pretty much, a graphic designer and a developer and someone to send it to Apple. Send me a PM if you want a piece of the story. I am hoping it would have 2 worlds with 10-15 levels in each world. it is not going to be retro style, I can tell you that much.

4. snowdude11

Jul 14, 2010
    By the way, I do want control over promo codes. People can create them, but I have control over who passes them out. I will also have control over what you put in my game. Give me the idea and then I will decide to put it in or not.

5. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Hmmm..

6. snowdude11

Jul 14, 2010
    Wel yes, it still is my storyline and game. I am just letting you develope it because I have no clue how to. Like I said, you keep the pofits, just give me credit for the story.

7. snowdude11

Jul 14, 2010
    My fault profits instead of pofits.

8. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    #8 K?!, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Just giving developers a story and politely asking for credit? Or demanding final control over the concept of the game, the amount of content, everything that goes in it, and all the promo codes?

How much time did you spend on your story? I could write a pretty damn good story in twenty hours, and that wouldn't even be 1% of a good game's dev time.

If you posted "here's my story below, feel free to use it as long as I get mentioned in the credits, and a promo code would be nice but not required", it would be completely different.

If you're expecting to be project manager (and you said you're in school so you're probably under 18), you need to have money to fund everyone on the team. Profit sharing doesn't work. And you base a game around a concept, not some shitty story you wrote in ninth grade.

9. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone will take you up on this.

Any large studio has their own writers, and any indie dev would probably want the project to be theirs, not someones that they've never even met.

The chances of it being the next big thing are slim to none, so most people won't even click on the thread. An excerpt here would be helpful. Also, what's your writing experience, or samples of your work?

If you believe it is good, by all means pursue it. Everyone starts somewhere, but consider your position. If someone took it, you'd be a writer, and writers have little control over anything but writing and story. It's just a fact that you wouldn't be in charge, or have control over promo code distribution.

Like someone said before, almost anyone with a high school education and a grasp of the English language can write a decent story if they want to. If your serious about this you have to convince potential takers why yours is better than what they can come up with themselves, with no hassle from someone who wants their name in the credits.

10. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I agree with you on all points except this one :)

11. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I knew someone would say something about it :p

Almost is the key word. If someone is writing a story for a game, and they know english and have gone through school, they could probably come up with something passable, especially by AppStore standards.

Look at Gameloft, or any other studio that makes high quality games, with stories that absolutely no one cares about. A high percentage of video games today derive their story or concept from something that came before it that was successful.

The genres are established now, and developers don't have the luxury of little to no competition.

The key to making the next big thing is redefining and reestablishing them. Just making a shooter, or an RPG, or an adventure game isn't enough, it has to do something new, and take the gamer somewhere they think they haven't been yet.

I'm not sure how the last half relates to this thread, I'll admit I went off on a tangent :) but it sounds good to me so I'll leave it in.

12. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Agreed :)

I don't really think writing a story makes the game yours.

13. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Stories are not game concept. It is like saying: I have an idea for building a great house: we will use blue paint for the bedrooms. Who's up with me to build this house?

Good story doesn't make good game. Good story make good books I guess but not good games. Shitty story can even make good games: "on day, the pigs took all the eggs from the birds. The birds were very upset and decided to attack them back". This story made millions :)

JC

14. snowdude11

Jul 14, 2010
    You guys know what? just forget I ever did this thread, OK?

15. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    don't be a soure apple..

take some of the advice given here..

and if you are serious why not post a synopsis of your story.. who knows.. maybee someone will bite.

16. snowdude11

Jul 14, 2010
    All I thought is that getting my first 100% on a story is a good thing. So I thought it was so good, I wanted to make it into an app. Apparently no one wants to develope it and make all of the profit because I got no PMs for the full story.

17. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    They just don't want to have to deal with your needlessly controlling restrictions. If you would just post the whole story and ask for credit, it might actually be used.

Also, how old are you? When I was a kid, we stopped writing stories back in elementary school.

18. kohjingyu

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Okay, I didn't understand any of this, except good story and no one.

What's first 100% and what's develope

EDIT: Oh. Develop -__-

19. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    100% = 100% grade on the school project, I think.

20. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Ooohhh that makes sense. To the OP, I'm sure you're realizing that the market is tough when you can't even give your work away for free, but that's the world we live in (and don't devs know it). Making outlandish demands doesn't help your case any.

Most of us aren't looking for a high school story, but if you put a teaser in this thread (and change your attitude a little, it's most definitely NOT your game) you might get some bites.