Facebook Page, Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Will_Mobile_Pie, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Will_Mobile_Pie

Will_Mobile_Pie Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Creative Producer @ Mobile Pie
    Bristol, UK
    Who here follows iPhone developers on Facebook? And which devs, if any, use Facebook well?

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    (Input from a non-dev): I dont really follow devs on Facebook. A lot of my colleagues and supervisors from work are also on Facebook so its a little weird to have them realize that I am playing so many games lol

Twitter is different. I have a twitter account just for my gaming needs :)

3. Will_Mobile_Pie

Sep 2, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    We certainly tweet, but it's considering if the additional effort in maintaining a Facebook page is worth the pay back, which I think, like you suggest Prab, it probably isn't.

Still, I'm keen to know what others think – devs and non-devs alike :D

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Created a Twitter account to get codes, and so far have won a number of them (including one this morning, thanks Zinc Roe!) just from checking Twitter occasionally. If I had an iPhone, I'd have a Twitter app on with push on so I'd be able to spot things more frequently.

That being said there is no way in hell I am touching Facebook - my wife and her friends are all on there and if I get a Facebook page, I'll have to add her (and some friends) and get stuck wading through all their jibber-jabber as well as she'd probably notice I'm spending way too much time code grubbing... ;)

5. craneballs

craneballs Well-Known Member

6. Handjoy

Handjoy Member

Aug 9, 2009
  7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Follow'D :cool:

I like Twitter better than Facebook as well.

8. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    App Tech Studios just uses Twitter (follow us ;)), although I have thought about Facebook. I think that between a Twitter and a Blog I am ok.

9. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I made a facebook page for Insurgent Games, but as it's only been around for like a week I personally know everyone who's a fan (become a fan! :) ). And I have a blog as well.

I've been thinking about making a twitter account too, but I've never actually used it before, and the endless stream of 140 character tweets intimidates me. Has anyone found that having a twitter account helps you a bunch as a game dev?

10. JuncoPartner

JuncoPartner Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Developer, Redwind Software
    Dublin, Ireland
    We at Redwind Software are on Twitter RedwindSoft

Although all of our games and games coming have facebook pages and integration for posting scores etc I don't really see the benefit to having an actual page for the company itself. Twitter seems a much better home for that sort of thing

11. yarri

yarri Well-Known Member

We use all three -- blogs, Twitter and Facebook with Facebook Connect integration in our games. Thinking about Twitter integration, next.

--yarri

12. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Okay I suggest (also a non-dev) to not open a facebook account as it is not worth it. I have both a twitter and a facebook account. I have a twitter for just my gaming needs and as for facebook is just for friends. I strongly oppose facebook that involves gaming and dislike facebook integrations in games as I do not want to spam all my friends. Just my two cents

13. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    It takes about what? an hour to setup? Why not do it. You never know when it can be productive.

14. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Why would you have to spam your friends? The facebook integration can be setup in different ways. If the dev makes it so that every score submits as a status update or something...well that's the dev's fault, lol.

I used to think the same thing about twitter integration because my timeline would be full of people's scores being submitted....it was really annoying as hell. Not everyone creates a second account just for games etc.

So basically, what I'm trying to say is that both integrations can be done in a good way or a bad way.

15. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Hey there, long time reader, first time poster ;)

I've got all three here at QuantumSheep:

Twitter

FaceBook

Blog

I'm finding that as I solve problems or add features while developing games, I rush to Twitter to tell my followers (eight, last time I checked!) about it, amongst other things...

The blog and Facebook are more for showing progress in a more visual sense via screenshots and videos etc. Just seem more at home there.

We're just starting out, so please feel free to follow Quantum Sheep - I've got a couple of old-school 2D shoot 'em ups being submitted soon with any luck, and I hope you'll like them!

Cheers!

QS :)

16. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    I use Twitter for my gaming needs
    Facebook not so much cuz itl look wierd

17. Will_Mobile_Pie

Sep 2, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Well, the problem is that if I set it up and don't dedicate time to updating it or people don't use it, it could have a negative impact on the company, making us look stagnant.

I think I'll wait for now and when we have Facebook integration (we might include it in future Oh, My Word! updates) then we'll get a page.

Looking at Google Analytics I can see we get a lot of traffic through Facebook, but that's mainly through mine and others' status updates.

18. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    We use facebook and twitter. We have a group for the company and then groups and pages for our bigger titles, like Underworlds.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Twitter seems to be the most popular among iPhone devs, probably because it's easier to post quick info... but I notice that of the general public, the people who use Facebook don't often use Twitter and vice versa. In fact most people I know with Facebook hate Twitter with every bit of energy flowing through their veins.

So... having both would certainly be catering to the whole audience rather than one half of it, although I think Twitter will get you the most followers.

20. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I just created a twitter account for Insurgent Games: http://twitter.com/insurgentgames

And since it's the first time I've used twitter, and I don't really know who to follow, I decided to start by following everyone that posted their twitter account in this thread :).