GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Yeah 1000th post for this thread........

(Sorry I couldn't resist)

OT: You only get 2 lives for MM, that is insane.

2. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    Death Duck is the best pet by far, but you don't get him until you get 290 stars (which is unfortunately impossible until you at least clear Crypt 3 Master). But for those of you who need to go back and get those 3 star ratings, he's amazing.

@Teh_Ninja: With Phoenix Feather you get 3. :p

3. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I love the secrets in master mode; they're a great touch to the game. Just found the crystal staff, and it's awesome :D
    However, can you guys help me with one of the secrets?
    One of the clues talk about the castle. Which place is it referring to? The tower, estate, etc?

4. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    #1004 Ashflow, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    castle=estate

Also, for the Magekiller, watch the trailer on the first page ;)

EDIT: And Teh_Ninja, you've got the 1,001st post :p

5. Zathrus

Zathrus Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Yeah, those are great. But there's 4 of them and about 20 small rooms with NO room to maneuver that are filled with mana zombies and fallen warriors. Oh, and sometimes dark wraiths. I concentrate on taking out the wraiths, but meanwhile I lose a heart to the warriors and zombies. String 4 or 5 of those together with no health and you're dead. Which is how the level is structured.

Yeah, Lucky is just plain worthless. And I get it far too often as well. Get it as the first spell urn on Crypt3 or Ashen3 and you may as well just start over. Even better is Silence on Crypt -- yay! You can stop skeletons from throwing. And that's it.

In any case, I'm done. I'm too frustrated trying to beat this idiotic level, and there's quite literally NOTHING I can do instead. Lexi is L74, so it's not like that last level are going to matter. I've tried numerous different combinations of equipment. I shove what few health urns there are to the next room if I'm full health. Doesn't matter -- I've used the two meager lives I have before getting to the end.

I'm sure some people are able to beat this one easily, but I've quite literally been playing it for 3 days now, and I'm not getting any closer to completing it. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer, but this is ridiculous and it long ago stopped being any fun.

6. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Which is the 1000th post in this thread.

7. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    #1007 Ashflow, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    So if I have 306 stars, is that proof I'm hardcore?

In any case, I'll go through Crypt 3 again (w/o the Phoenix Feather) and 3 star it, and come back to give my strategy, if you want. I have to wait until my iPod has "cooled down enough", though. (This is like my third replacement iPod from Apple. The first two had really bad battery issues and this one overheats WAY too often. Gonna go have a Genius check it out soon.)

I just wish there were more hats from the Crypt levels, as I already have all of them. It's pretty pointless for me to go through again besides helping out.

8. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    looks fun cant wait to play it

9. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Where's the mountain path infested with drudges?

10. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Just beat Crypt Gold MM with 2 hearts left, 3 spells left (Shadow Bomb and 2 Fireballs), Corruption, Demon's Ring, Pyre Garment, and *drum roll* ...Gnomey!

Making a video would be sooo much easier than explaining in words. Not sure what I should do.

11. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    Wish there was a way to screen capture video without jailbreaking my ipod. Would be much easier.

12. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    I just beat Ashen Cult 3 using the Demon's Ring. Probably better than the Phoenix feather.

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #1013 NotYou, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    So far, I've been finding this game to be tedious with no payoff.

I've just gotten through the first section (there are three, right?). I keep waiting for something to happen, but it's just been button mashing/dodging with the occasional conversation that seems to have no meaning. Is there anything to look forward to?

What I find odd is this is supposed to be an action RPG without the grinding, but the whole thing feels like grinding. You just kill enemies and walk through the completely linear level. Tell me I'm missing something or it gets better, or... something.

I love their other games and this one was extremely well received, so I'm assuming I just don't get it.

14. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    #1014 Ashflow, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    Am I allowed to post my own youtube vid here? Guess I'll go check the rules.
    EDIT: Looks like it's OK as long as I don't post my youtube account name? Guess I'll just go ahead then...

15. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Hehe :p

16. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    You are correct in your assumption ;)

17. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    NotYou: What's an action RPG you think we should try to emulate for the next game, to improve it? What do you think we should add?

18. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks for asking!
    I don't know. I think I'm just spoiled by open world games. Even as a kid I played Zelda, which was a lot of wondering and exploring.

When i saw the video above, I suddenly got re-interested the game. I like the idea of hordes of enemies.:)

19. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Let me know if you still hate it as you get further. I see some flaws with the game that I'd like to address in future games, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly what you're talking about in your previous comments.

20. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    This question wasn't directed to me, but I thought I'd share my thoughts.

I would like to see an overhead action game with light RPG elements that introduces a wider spectrum of actions and goals, such as:
    • scanning with a radar-like "treasure detector" device to find hidden things;
    • selective offensive runs where the protagonist must avoid certain enemies while targeting others;
    • more differing choices which would bring variable but persistent consequences and rewards;
    • hunting games where the protagonist must scan the perimeter and try to trap the prey;
    • even more variety in the various enemies' attack patterns which would require studying and adaptation on the player's part;
    • objects and obstacles which would influence the strategy & gameplay, such as boulders and portals;
    • mini-games that use a proven and simple formula to break the rhythm and bring a touch of novelty.
    Some of these would have the side-effect of diluting the "action" aspect, but games like the Zelda series are revered specifically for what different elements they bring to the formula.