Welcome to Die!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by kijib, Jan 28, 2010.

?

Coke or Pepsi

Poll closed Jan 29, 2014.
  1. Coke

50 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Pepsi

16 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Wasn't just talking about this guy, but shootings in general.
    [I'm talking about the DKR shooting, school shootings etc]

Have they done polls or stuff in the US where they ask if guns should be banned or not? What would you guys think?

2. It's raining right now in Los Angeles, so it is cold and snowing in the mountains. Big Bear is about 2 hours away from us. Weird thing is police shot two groups of innocent people in the Los Angeles area because of the paranoia. Weird situation indeed.

This should make for a really good movie script or video game.

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Very interesting indeed. Won't be surprised when this is turned into a movie.

4. I heard about this Dorner person. Ex-cop taking revenge on LAPD

Of course, video game are to blame for this mans actions

5. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

I swear I've read books about this...

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'd prefer not to get into the whole gun control debate.

Another member spammed threads about that a while ago and it was quite annoying.

Suffice it to say that
    1) "banning" guns doesn't put any sort of dent in crime, much less takes them off the streets. I live in the Chicago area, get all the news from there, commute occasionally into the city and we just had over 40 homocides this January alone - this is the city that has a ban on handguns (until the courts overturned it, but they still have until May to lift the ban).

2) I'm interested in more mental checks, but there will not and will never be any ban on all firearms in the US. Even this proposed assault weapon thing is stupid; the definition of "assault weapon" is so incredibly vague and relates to purely cosmetic features of the weapon as opposed to functionality. http://www.assaultweapon.info/ is a good explanation of what I'm talking about.

Anyway I'm not interested in starting a flame war or making enemies, that's just my honest opinion :).

7. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Haha, don't worry I'm not here to get involved in serious debate :) I don't even live in the US so this doesn't affect me, but would just like to see less shootings and such.

I just have two more questions: Why do you need guns? What do you use them for?

8. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #11588 k1lljoy_89, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    it's irrelevant. There's already guns.

Look the problem isn't guns, it's the people. This whole thing was spurred by Sandy Hook, which for all we know may not have even happened. Banning guns is not the answer. Like JBRUU said, Chicago has very, very strict gun laws. And it just happens to have a huge amount of homicides, and hell, it's murder rate is 25% higher than last year.

It doesn't and won't work. Guns exist. It's not the problem. The people are the problem. Thugs, drugs and sick fugs, would you rather they stick a knife in your back? I'll take the bullet. Obviously there would be reasons to ban firearms but it's not as simple as that and it simply doesn't work.

I could go into much more detail, but that's about the size of it.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Sandy Hook happened. There are families going through unspeakable pain right now because of a mentally insane person.

10. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    I know it did, I didn't mean it didn't. I worded that poorly. Not downplaying that incident at all. I meant with everything that happens, like your 40 deaths in Janurary, one incident can't be your reason for banning guns.

Regardless of how terrible it was, and how justified the emotions are, banning firearms is an illogical, emotion-driven conclusion.

11. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Americans... :rolleyes:

:D

12. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #11592 k1lljoy_89, Feb 9, 2013
    Exactly.

I live in north Carolina (US) btw

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Your two questions are almost identical; the answer to one is the answer to both.

Keep in mind, we don't even need a reason to own a gun. Bearing arms is a right that is ensured by our country's constitution, and it cannot be taken away unless an amendment to said document is passed.

What are guns used for? Well, first of all, target shooting is an Olympic sport, both the handgun and rifle variety. Both casual plinking at cans or serious target shooting is a lot of fun Second, many Americans are avid hunters. You need a gun (or bow) for that sport. Third, a firearm is the best way to defend yourself and your home in the event of a home invasion. The police are just minutes away when seconds count.

May I ask in what country you live in? I'm guessing in the European continent?

The difference in attitudes towards guns there is just night and day.

14. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Exactly.

For the record, I have several guns for all three mentioned reasons. And a bow for that matter though I never use it.

it really is...

15. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

#11595 KennyK, Feb 9, 2013
    I live in Australia, where guns are banned.

If you were to ask why, we will just mention the Port Arthur Massacre, where 35 people were killed in 1996. As a result, guns laws were heavily tightened and restricted. So I hope you'll forgive me for questioning the need for guns after all these shootings in the US.

Banning guns in the US, is probably like being able to bear arms over here, it'll never happen.

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    If you love holding guns so much, then why dont you just tighten the requierments to buy one? You get a gun if you really need one, but it may keep lunatics out. Like have some aligibility testsbefore allowing him to hold a gun.

And don't tell me that I dont know wht I'm talking about as a European. We've had 3 school shootings in the 2000's and plenty of other shooting situations. The amount of shootings for our small population is big. Oh and i'm talking about Finland not Europe as a whole

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #11597 JBRUU, Feb 9, 2013
    Nobody said you didn't know what you were taking about. I just said that the culture and attitude towards guns is very different, so you will have a hard time knowing where we are coming from and vice versa.

You already have to get a FOID card here to get a gun. Unless you buy privately then there is some form of registration.

Plus the whole debate here is not about banning guns. It's about an assault weapons ban, large capacity clip ban, and more better background checks for the mentally unstable.

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    But I didnt mention banning in my post at all. Actually my point was exactly what you said the debate was about.

19. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Do not get me started.

Lets ban the scary looking guns, and keep the lethal ones!!

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    There are so many "college edition" Harlem Shake videos being posted these days. Guess trap music is catching on.