Evil Master Overlord - Real time dungeon defense strategy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by LCDDreams, Oct 15, 2012.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow.. that menu screenshot looks really nice and full of personality. Are those skeleton arms trying to drop their way up from the depths? Looking forward to more info.

2. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    So will this game be freemium ? Just read it on your official site that it will be free at launch . Finance model is IAP then ?
    A bit disappointed for game of this caliber

3. LCDDreams

LCDDreams Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Yes, the game will be free to play. The IAP will certainly not be required. We are working to make the game playable to the end of the campaign without the need for purchasing anything. So the IAP will simply make it easier/faster, but there won't be a "pay wall".

The reason for the F2P (a term I prefer over freemium :)) is a simple one - to reach more people. This is our first release, so no one knows who we are...yet :). Of course, F2P has also proven to be a more lucrative business model, but right now, we're more concerned with making a great game and getting our name out there.

As for beta testing, we haven't decided this yet. We do have some testers, but we may still do a public beta test for a week or so. We'll of course let people know if that happens.

Thanks for the interest and positive feedback! We are really excited to bring this game to everyone. It's an interesting take on some familiar genres - something that (I believe) has never been done before. And yes, we've put a lot of effort into giving the game personality, so it will be more than just a fun mechanic. And if all goes well, we have plans for future updates!

And if things go really well, we have another (very different) game in very early development that is REALLY exciting. But I won't get ahead of myself. Focus here is on EMO. :D

4. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Although with a game like Evil Master Overlord it seems a no brainer to play (even if there is an upfront cost) I regret the F2P model where a developer tells users that it's possble they will receive no profit from the game. Sure, I'm cheap but I do not want to play a game and exploit someone's hard work entirely for without cost.

On one hand I appreciate the generiousity so want to buy IAP just to support the developer but psychologically I would prefer to feel like I bought something "tangible" with that contribution. Also as a gamer and male full of machismo it's hard to cave in to purchasing items that make the game "easier/faster" (part of me wishes IAP actually made the game more challenging).

LCDDreams, how can I play Evil Master Overlord on the default difficulty without getting easier/faster cheats but still contribute to the developer's financial success?

5. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Pay them directly with PayPal ? :rolleyes:

Seriously now, I simply adore Evil Genius for PC, it must be in my top 5 games ever, and this game reminds me a lot of it, can't wait to get more screens/ videos and the release of it , no matter if it is F2P or not.

6. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    There are two currencies - gold coins (premium) and hero pulp (in-game). You can use the coins to buy better armor and weapons, unlock any of your arsenal (walls, traps, etc) before the normal unlock point, or pull a random prize from the Magic Hat (more pulp, arsenal items, weapons, armor). Pulp is used to unlock stuff at the normal unlock points, upgrade minions and the EMO, socket gems into your weapons. You'll also be able to earn coins in a couple different ways (passing certain levels and we're thinking of implementing the standard play-every-day-to-earn-goodies mechanic), and pulp will drop from heroes when you kill them (duh).

Of course, we have a Paypal account, so if you ever want to donate, we would gladly accept! :D

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think I have to salute the makers of Chip Chain for coming up with a clever compromise.

They do the standard free game with in-game currency to unlock everything and IAPs helping you skip a lot of grinding. However, they also offer a Premium IAP package. Buy the Premium IAP and not only is everything unlocked, you never have to deal with buying power-ups for each session again.

Clearly this price needs to be something like $2.99 to as high as $9.99 (i.e. much more than purchasing the required coins to buy just a couple of upgrades, but still significantly less than the cost of buying enough IAP cash to buy each item individually). It also requires the game be designed in such a way that even WITH unlimited cash there are firm limits to how many lives a player can purchase in a single game.

It might be FAAR too late to work an idea like this into the current game, but maybe some food for thought on your many following games. :)

8. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Hey everyone
    We will be entering beta very soon, and we have decided to do a limited open beta! We will be accepting about 10 testers for now.

Anyone who's interested in helping out, please email me at [email protected] and include your name, devices you own (include both iOS and Android), and your testing experience.

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Excellent, I applied. Thank you in advance for any consideration. I am sure Evil Master Overlord will rule.

10. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Is there an ETA for game as you are in beta testing now ?

11. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    We're not quite in beta testing yet - we're just gathering testers for when we do enter beta, which will hopefully be this month. Aside from that, I don't have an ETA for you.

As I said earlier, one of the reasons this has been taking longer than expected is we had some issues with a couple of our developers and designers. Well we just found out that one of the programmers that had stopped responding to emails did so because he was in the hospital for weeks - his entire family had been in a terrible car accident, and he was basically living in the hospital waiting for his sister to come out of a coma. The rest of his family didn't make it. :( It was heart-wrenching to hear and makes the delay minuscule in comparison.

12. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    I feel like a terrible person now.
    My intention wasn't in any way to rush game development or make sarcastic posts because of being impatient.
    Even though we are all anonymous here on Internet and will probably never meet in real life, my honest condolence for his family, that is indeed and unfortunately a big tragedy no person should have in a life.

13. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    That's ok - I know you guys are excited. I didn't mean to guilt trip anyone. Just giving a little background on what's been going on with us.

14. shadowofze

shadowofze Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Sent a pretty extensive email about joining the beta hopefully you will have the time to read it eventually :D

15. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Great, thanks to everyone who has applied. We'll get notices and TestFlight invites out to you soon. I think we may have all the major systems in by this weekend or next week.

16. shadowofze

shadowofze Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Will we know if we have been chosen or not ?

17. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    At this point, we're accepting everyone who's applied.

18. shadowofze

shadowofze Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Awesome! Looking forward to playing and testing to help get this game where it needs to be :)

19. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Another UI screen (not final) - this time, the armory, where you can purchase new weapons and armor, upgrade current gear, buy more gold coins, or take a chance at various prizes with the Magic Hat!

[​IMG]

20. LCDDreams

Jul 11, 2011
    Game Designer
    San Jose, CA
    Hey guys
    We've been working hard on finishing up the menu system, and it's almost done. Here are a couple more screenshots. Still not completely final, but very close.
    The Armory screen:
    04.jpg

The level select screen:
    07.jpg

Also, here are two designs for custom phone skins/cases we're planning on giving away as prizes for future contests! Which is your favorite?
    [​IMG][​IMG]