GeoDefense Swarm Strategies here

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by skyye06, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Elysium

Elysium Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Use laser towers at the spots near the wall that line up with the creeps coming out of the Y. Upgrade them in turn depending on which side the creeps are coming out of for that round. You need to memorize which sides the rounds come out on. For the first two rounds you won't need to upgrade them at all, they will one shot the entire group. The third round goes left to right, so upgrade the right laser twice (sometimes you will get unlucky, and this won't kill them all, so you can use your $8 to buy a blaster as a safety net).

Keep going back and forth upgrading your lasers. Eventually, you will want to add a laser at the top points of each Y shooting down at the backs of the creeps as they go by, and you'll need to upgrade those a bit as well.

By the end your original lasers should be at level 7, and your top lasers should be at at 3 or 4 or so. Before the last wave, sell everything on the left side of the map, and just start spamming missile towers on the right, getting as many down and upgraded as you can. Keep doing this as you get more money.

2. ejc116

ejc116 New Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Thanks for the help on Y Me?, I was finally able to beat it. I was pretty close on my own, the only thing I wasn't doing was selling stuff before the last wave a using the money to place more turrents on the right side of the board. Thanks again for helping me finish this level!

3. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    There is already a solution posted above, but here is a more elegant one. I'll never understand why people use so many shock towers... the guy above has 7 of them. Waste of money.

[​IMG]

Start with the upper 6 blasters just to cut off the pathways, then switch to the bottom two lasers. Attach them to the vortex. Lasers have a very very low mana requirement for their special shot, so even the two lasers not upgraded very much will dominate with specials. Upgrade those, eventually place the shock and the top laser. The missiles are a later priority and those other two blasters are just a safety net in case a few almost dead purples leak out.

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    that is pretty nice, my map was dotted with missile towers

5. Accelerate

Accelerate New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    #25 Accelerate, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    Shoot, nevermind, should've refreshed the page before commenting...

Can anyone give me tips on Medium 1? (yeah, I feel stupid needing hints on a medium level, especially considering I breezed through medium in the first game).

I checked out the above screenshot, and though I can see how the layout works, I'm unsure what order you placed the towers in. I seem to get overwhelmed by the 6-7th round. At one point the creeps took a completely different path that screwed me. Any tips would be appreciated.

6. Elysium

Jan 15, 2009
    #26 Elysium, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    There are 8 green towers in my screenshot. The top 6 (so NOT the two closest to the vortex on the bottom) will go down before the first round. After that the creeps cannot go any other way than down the left side. If you're doing something strange that lets the creeps go around to the right, just place another green tower in that one spot that completely blocks that path, though you shouldn't have to.

You don't even need those bottom two blasters unless you really want to do it perfect (without them you might leak 2-3).

The order is 6 green, two bottom left lasers (+a few upgrades), the top laser, another upgrade or two, the slow tower, more upgrades, then the missiles.

Do not forget to link all three lasers to the bottom vortex! Also you might want to upgrade the vortex once at some point.

7. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I follow this and it works perfectly except for wave 7, when almost all the creeps end up making it to the exit :(

8. fletchnuts

fletchnuts Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Anybody have a strategy for Medium 7 (Nucleotide)? I've been trying to get a good laser path set up because missiles are too slow during later levels, but nothing has worked very well.

9. cupcake7

cupcake7 New Member

Sep 17, 2009

I got to wave 133.. found a new trick

spoiler:
    i keep closing and re-opening a path to make them stay in the map for longer.. at 133, nearly half the screen is full of creeps, not sure how much i can improve that by

10. fletchnuts

fletchnuts Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    That's called juggling and is very common in TD games.

11. scrag555

scrag555 New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    #31 scrag555, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    hi chesterfield... i posted a picture of the wrong level... i'll have to find the right one & repost it

12. cupcake7

cupcake7 New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    okey...

dame it.. just saw the record chart, the highest guy got over 200 wave.. how he manage to juggle that?? is there other tricks?

13. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#33 Habakuk, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Made 120 waves and global rank 24 with this relatively simple "strategy" ;-) at the very last level

Hard #10 "Crazy 88's" endless

[​IMG]

There is money enough. Started with a straight line (see the other screenshot in the attachment) and then at the lower right edge only with green towers and only one missile tower in the center. After 20 towers begin to upgrade slowly and build another line with upgraded (at least once) blasters besides the first one. This worked very comfortable and relaxed over a long time. When it was almost full with completely upgraded blasters (they have a rather long reach at last upgrade level) I started to replace them with more missile towers.

I am missing a bit the free placeable vortex towers in Swarm.

In fact, Hard 10 seems to be one of the easiest levels. It's my "casual play" level.

Edit: Have a look at my next posting for even more waves at hard #10!!

Attached Files:

14. Habakuk

#34 Habakuk, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Forget my previous posting ;-) of Hard #10. Made in the meantime global rank #17 (164 waves) with another approach. Edit: In my next posting I show how to make 180 waves with a small difference: Thumper towers!

Never had so much fun with a computer game like this one :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. maelstrom83

maelstrom83 Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Okay, Medium 9, "The Hatch". There must be something about this level I'm just missing, because this is the first level in either game I just can't seem to figure out on my own. Any tips?

16. nccknight

nccknight Member

Sep 15, 2009
    #36 nccknight, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    Thumpers

So I think I figured out the basics to the thump towers. If you want to try to figure it out on your own, skip to the next post.

I've observed that when the pulses intersect is when the damage is done. This means a single thump tower is pretty much worthless but two can begin to do damage. This requires timing the placement of the towers to be placed on the same 'beat'. This adds a whole new dimension to the game, one I'm kind of happy for since it brings me back to my violin playing days and keeping an internal metronome in my head which I'm sure other musically inclined people might enjoy as well. Though, much like learning a new piece of music, it can be a bit frustrating figuring this out.

A single line of thump towers can be effective but two lines of thump towers on either side of the track, or a single thump tower surrounded by others seems more effective. Unfortunately I haven't figured out the timing on the upgrades for I haven't had enough time to fiddle around.

Bottom line is, they need to be in sync. Unlike in Ghostbusters where you never want to cross streams, here you do! It'd be nice if you could select multiple towers to do a mass upgrade, or select multiple hexes to place several of the same tower type.

As I experiment more I'll post, but I only really play a few minutes a day. Hopefully others are continuing to experiment so we can figure this out.

nccknight

17. EggyToast

EggyToast New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    You pretty much have to experiment with them on the Swarm level. I'm at the point in the game where it's essentially "ha, use this specific strategy or this specific tower or else you'll always lose!"

Which personally is my least favorite way to play. If there's only one way to win, it's not a game -- it's just copying whatever the designer created.

18. Habakuk

Thumpers

I too ignored thumper towers and that was a mistake. Please compare my approaches to ultimate hard level #10 of my previous posting and here.

First (left) screenshot without thumpers; second (right, new) with four thumpers:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've placed four of the thumpers where the creeps have to go around, look at the "labyrinths" at the lower left corner and upper right. I've upgraded them and later on put a "yellow brake" just before them (changed tower). They do really damage to ALL creeps so I could stand even more waves (180 at hard 10). The creeps rarely could pass the lower left curve for 80 or 90 waves!

In the attachment there is another screenshot of my new record on hard 10 in a late stage.

Attached Files:

19. apprentice99

apprentice99 Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Anyone has screens for Medium Levels? Any tips would be appreciated especially Level 7 Nucleotide. :D

20. kaizoku

kaizoku Member

Aug 8, 2009
    same, oh my god this level is kicking my ass!