anyone here tested Flash on iPhone with Adobe AIR?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NikosX, Oct 17, 2010.

1. NikosX

NikosX Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Game Designer
    hello everyone,
    My name is Nikos Chatzigeorgiadis, i am from Greece and a new developer in games. I have a team of 2 people, i am doing the game and sound design for our games and my partner the graphics and programming. Our first mini-game is build in Flash and we were wondering if anyone has tested anything after apple lifted the rules with 3rd party apps.

You can see the beta of our first game here http://www.tsimpountiii.gr/free-games and any suggestions and opinions are welcome!

2. Paulindahouse

Paulindahouse Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    The beta of your first game is amazing! But I would suggest you make them come faster the further you go into the game and you also have some typos in there, for example when you put your mouse over The Hand of God it says RPESS G TO USE and it's PRESS

3. NikosX

NikosX Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Game Designer
    Thank you Paul for your comments. Glad you liked it. We test different speeds for the little tsimps right now. The problem is that when you go lvl 20 for example you cant click enough... the zerg you lol. And thank you for the typo mistake!

4. NikosX

NikosX Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Game Designer
    come on guys! no one tried to get any Flash in app store yet?

5. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

There are many successful Flash games in the App Store, the best ones are translated into objc to use the frameworks and tweak for touch input (eg Solipskier, Canabalt.)

I wouldn't bother any other way, unless it's for a short-notice demo or something. Go native and you'll get better performance and a better made-for-iPhone experience.

6. NikosX

NikosX Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Game Designer
    its supposed that Adobe AIR compiles directly for iOS ... but haven't heard any news on that yet

7. TapMeJared

TapMeJared Member

May 6, 2010
    Business Development / Producer
    Chicago, IL
    I saw some demos while at GDC Austin from a French developer. It was really good and seemed like a native app. There wasn't much depth to the titles so I am not sure how graphically intensive you can get.

8. design219

design219 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I'm working on an app in Flash right now. It's not a game, but has some game like elements (not all worked out yet). I've not got to the point of an adhoc test, but the direct testing on devices is really easy and it's working fantastically.

Best of luck with you Flash efforts!

9. NikosX

NikosX Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Game Designer
    we tested AIR for android and it works like a charm. (though without vector graphics...) and i want to find an iPhone to test it there too!

10. We're building a free Flash game at the moment which we're planning on converting to iPhone as a freebie as well. We were planning on basically writing the code again for iOS so I'd love to hear people's experiences to see if we can save our programmer some time.

11. NikosX

NikosX Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Game Designer
    if you write the project at ActionScript 3 then the compiler does everything by itself so no problem and work at all... just remember to keep the graphics a little down, for example we used vector graphics in the beggining and it was like 1fps... we changed to bitmaps and now we have at least 24fps

12. wefiends

wefiends Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    When I first heard that Flash was going to be able to compile apps into native Obj-C, I was super excited. I'd been making Flash games for a while, so I thought it'd be a chance to port some of my popular games over.

But the performance just isn't there yet. It's very noticeable even on simple things. I saw some Flash updates come in a while ago. Did they do any work on the iPhone stuff?