iphone developing on pc?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by inferi22, Jun 15, 2009.

1. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    is there any possible way or a variation of xcode?

2. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Write your app in C++ in whatever PC program you like, then you can go get a Mac and Xcode and port it.

3. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    i actually i already have some code in folder form and as wondering how exactly to port it onto my friends mac and how to compress it

4. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    Just remember that you need to compress the package using a mac when you submit the binary. I've previously encountered problem submitting the binary when i compressed using a PC. Something about invalid compression format.

5. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    My game is being written through a cross platform library which started out as PC/PS3 from my previous company. An ex-coleague added simple OS X and iPhone support which i've added to since.

Another friend is helping me out with my game in return for use of my Library. He spent the weekend using the lib to write a little game prototype on his PC (he doesn't own a mac or iphone/itouch yet) This morning I got it up and running on my phone in half an hour.

It takes a lot of groundwork to get the cross platform stuff working cleanly without compromising the primary (iPhone) version but it's really worth it. The PC version
    of Ground Effect has the level editor built in and my level designers can switch between editing and testing on a keypress. They also don't need to own a mac.