What's the best Rogue Game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tzual, Dec 8, 2009.

1. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    What is the best Rogue game. Like the classic version.

2. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    #2 Rixx, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    Rogue Touch.

http://appshopper.com/games/rogue-touch

and Fargoal feels like Rogue.

http://appshopper.com/games/sword-of-fargoal

and get iNethack while your at it,

http://appshopper.com/games/inethack

Another free nethack I just found and not tried yet:

http://appshopper.com/games/nethack

and download the free Rogue too:

http://appshopper.com/games/rogue

Of these, get the first two before any others, IMO.

Both Fargoal and Rogue Touch are excellent games.

-------------------------------
    My Favorite Games: Sword of Fargoal, CoD: Zombies (nick TK0656), Rogue Touch, and Slay.

3. The_Running_Man

The_Running_Man Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Sword of Fargoal. You need this game if you have even the remotest interest in roguelikes. Then get rogue touch.

4. fargoal

fargoal Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Hey, we like "Rogue Touch" too! I think you picked two nice ones to recommend for the genre -- ours ("Sword of Fargoal") -- and Kevin's great game, "Rogue Touch"!!

Enjoy!

-- Jeff McCord

5. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Sword of Fargoal.

6. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Fargoal (Jeff) has remade his excellent dungeon crawler Sword of Fargoal that is not technically rogue, but is amazing (I've bought it and been playing it regularly). His graphics are much better than all the roguelikes currently available, and they are actively developing updates for it to make it even better. I recommend SoF very highly, and anyone who wants more emphasis on exploration, and less item/equipment management should make it their first buy!

For the true "Rogue" experience, I think most people would agree that Rogue Touch is the first choice... I spent months trying to recreate that experience as perfectly as I could from memory, and then added in new magic items, leaderboards, and secret characters to play as. It's a game that even *I* keep coming back to play when I get tired of others, a sentiment that I've heard from many people.

For more complicated rogue-likes that are harder to play, there's iNetHack by DirkZ. This is by far the more complete and playable of the two Nethacks available, and it is free. But it is certainly not for everyone. Study up on NetHack for a while... even knowing spoilers for the whole game does not give you any significant advantage.

I cannot honestly recommend trying the other "free" rogue or "free" nethack in the app store. I have, and they are painfully hard to play, contain bugs (in the case of "free" rogue have been known about for over a year, but never fixed), and just don't live up to the quality of Fargoal, Rogue Touch, and iNetHack. But hey, they are free, so you're only wasting time by trying them, not money ;)

(Funny side note about the free rogue- The most recent US review I received on iTunes is from a guy who decided to try Rogue Touch recently and was sorry to have waited so long to try RT because it "blows the free rogue out of the water"! Maybe Uoldgoat hangs around here, and can chime in :D)

So for the tl;dr crowd:

1) Fargoal / Rogue Touch tied for first place, each with different qualities :)
    2) iNetHack
    3) Nothing else of high quality available at this time...

7. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    There's Isle of 8bit Treasures, but when Fargoal came out, I completely lost interest in that one.

8. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Ahh, good point! That does have polish, I bought it too! But 8bit Treasures is ultimately lacking something in the fun department. I think the shallow dungeons and lack of tactics turned me off. That and the fact it does not save where you are in the dungeon when you press home or get a phone call... Probably why I completely forgot about it! I would place that above the free rogue and free nethack, but below the other major choices. :)

9. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Rogue touch!! It's actually the only rogue I've bought, and I've been extremely happy with it.

10. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
  11. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    Yipe isnt a rouge-like, its a traditional RPG.

12. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Yipe is pretty sweet looking though! Love the art direction. Bought it this morning before work, and will check it out tonight.

13. funambulist

funambulist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    NL
    I'm amazed that iNetHack doesn't get more attention esp. after its 1.1 update.

I myself enjoy playing iNetHack more than either Sword of Fargoal or Rogue Touch (though both of course are excellent games).

14. Rogue Touch is a solid game and is worth the money for sure. :D
    Hats off to the dev.