what are the best games for the iCade core?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by one.sixty.four, May 14, 2013.

1. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    hi everybody! i just ordered a iCade core and while waiting for it to ship, i though i would download some games for it! so... what are the best games for iCade core? i also have a few questions about it:

1. does it work well with iPad 1?

2. does it work with iPhone/iPod touch as well as iPad?

3. does it work with iPhone games on X2 on the iPad?

thanks for any answers/help,

-one.sixty.four

2. #2 Connector, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    1. Think so
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

Goto this page and check some links about icade

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173262

Lax's list of icade games

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2657301&postcount=1426

Ion's official games list for icade core

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

[​IMG]

3. So what are your top 10 favorite icade joystick games?

My top 10 right now...

Plasma Sky
    Metal Slug X
    Tabletop Racing (pictured)
    Blazing Star
    Danmaku 2
    Phoenix HD
    Raiden Legacy
    The Other Brothers
    Storm Strikers
    Super Crossfire HD

[​IMG]

4. #4 Connector, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    See bottom for iphone with an icade core joystick

Icade Models and Buying Guide
    -----------------------------------

There are quite a few models of joysticks and joypads that will support icade protocol as of late. Some are made by the creator of icade, Ion, and others are made by various other companies.

The official Ion icade controllers are as follows:

[​IMG]

The original icade was kind of a miniature cabinet. It was designed more for nostalgic reasons, and some like it cause of it's real arcade look.

The icade core joystick is the one I recommend cause it is the most versatile. It will work with all ipads, and all iphones via bluetooth. The idevices do not have to be in the slot to work. For example, you can have your ipad hooked into hdmi tv, and then, just use the icade core in your lap as a wireless joystick.

[​IMG]

Or put your iphone or ipad on a stand on a table, and play the core in your lap. Or put your ipad or iphone in the slot as almost a sort of cabinet. An ipad mini will work fine too with the icade core. In portrait mode, will look great. In landscape, the mini will be a little lower, but the whole screen will be visible.

The other versions are mainly for iphone (though I still recommend the icade core for an iphone). The mobile and jr are cool for their uses.

There are some other non Ion brands, such as:

The 8-bitty is small, like a joypad, but the button mapping is terrible. Also, the quality of parts is not all that great. But the portability and size are great.

[​IMG]

Most games are made for button mapping for the original and icade. Take a look at the button mapping of the 8-bitty. You will notice the main buttons are the usual start and select buttons, which is unfortunate.

[​IMG]

The is also the Nyko playpad pro joystick (icad supported)

See this post. It seems to have some promise, it is made more for Android, but it has an icade compatibility setting. Seems kinda like an xbox type controller, but the dual analog sticks will not work for icade. Might be worth a look.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2776271&postcount=1633

[​IMG]

And finally the Ipega gamepad (icade support). This is for iphone only, and the holder does worry me cause it seems flimsy, but read this.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2770383&postcount=1629

[​IMG]

There's probably others and probably will be new ones in the future too. But bottom line, I still recommend the icade core joystick, just cause it has a big stick and buttons, will work with ipads and iphones, it fits great in your lap, has a slot for an ipad or iphone, is somewhat portable, and is the best to use with hdmi tv.

[​IMG]

Also, make sure to check Ion's official page, it will list which games are supported by which joysticks. Most will work with the original and core, but the others have spotty support. Also, take a look at all the games for icade.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

Hope this helps! :)

-------

Reprint from Toucharcade's Chatroom

Lax has both, and I trust his word, he is the main upkeeper of the icade thread, and I would agree. Just buy the icade core, it works with both ipads and iphones, and while it isn't perfect for iphone use like it is for the ipad, it is very useable.

The iphone or itouch will fit in the slot or you can play with your iphone on a stand on a table, and with icade core in your lap or on the table. Here is a picture of my icade core with an iphone game. Phoenix HD with iphone 4 with an icade core joystick.

[​IMG]

In fact, I get a kick out of playing it with my iphone 4 cause it is so fun. A nice change of pace, and kinda funny playing with such a small screen. Like a comedy. :p

Edit: currently working with the devs of these games - Impossible Road, Fangz, Crumble Zone, and Bellyfish!

5. pdSlooper

pdSlooper Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    I've got the iCade Mobile. I'm big into portables, so I thought it'd be great for me. Sadly, the d-pad is far too stiff. Sometimes it doesn't register presses, diagonal movement (pressing two directions at once) is really hard to pull off, and long gaming sessions are completely out of the question. It's so bad that I prefer the touch screen controls of Hungry Master over the Mobile's controls... Really disappointing in all.

I will say that it works quite adequately with Gridrunner and the battery life seems to be pretty good. But I've probably only used it for 3 or so hours total, as a high estimate.

6. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Super Crate Box
    Mos Speedrun
    League of Evil 1 & 2
    The Blocks Cometh
    Mikey Shorts
    Table Top Racing
    The Other Brothers
    Muffin Knight
    Pac-Man
    Any Donut Games game that works with iCade.

If you check out the list I made that Connector linked too you can see if you have any games that you play without the iCade already. Also, if you have AppShopper Social on your phone, you can add icadelist and then you will be able to see when (almost) any iCade game is updated or dropped in price.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I saw the topic title, and i was gonna say, get in touch with the Connector, only to find out he's already got it covered. :D