How to make xbox360 wireless controller run on Mac?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by playpunk, Apr 25, 2012.

1. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone here can tell me what's the best app to get an Xbox 360 wireless controller or a logic tech made for Xbox controller to run on my intel Mac desktop.

I'm running 10.7.2 on a 3 ghz quad core with 6 gigs of ram. I have both legit Xbox wireless controllers and a Logitech f710. So far I haven't had any luck using these with, well, primarily pinball arcade.....

Anybody have any experience using these to run pinball arcades app on Mac? My keyboard ( though I love it) just doesn't hold up to do pinball with, too thin and flimsy.

I've bought pinball arcades opening 4 tables for four platforms now and definitly think the Mac desktop one is where it shines the best.

( I bought it for my iPad (washed out color, no viable table nudge), my psvita ( beautiful but just too damn small) and for my Xbox (ugh! By far and above just horrible looking/sounding/playing), too.

If anyone could help me get this guy running on my sweetest platform with wireless controllers, I'd be in debt....thanks much!

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    You need the Xbox 360 controller (unnofficial). I have not tried this for a while, so I can't guarantee it works with 10.7. It hasn't been updated since last year:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

Now you also need a game that supports game controllers. This driver just makes the Xbox controller work like a standard Mac game controller.

Short of that there is other software that you can download that lets you map controller button presses to keyboard presses. ControllerMate is very good, but it is not free:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/17779/controllermate

Also it takes some research to learn how to use it. It's not terribly intuitive, but it is powerful.

3. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    Cool, thanks crunc! I had dled controller ate last night but haven't installed it yet. I'll give your first suggestion a go and see if it will work first before shelling out more money. Thanks again!

P

4. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I've used a Xbox controller fine for a year now on my Mac.

I have a wired official Xbox controller (I bought a fake from ebay accidentally which didn't work at all). The tattie boogle driver is certainly the best driver for the job. However, I've had people have problems with the wireless controller not working for some specific games (when they work for the wired controller). Such games I've tested include Limbo and Rochard.

Good luck!