Gameloft IAP Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by scarypharaoh, Feb 2, 2011.

1. COHagan23

COHagan23 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    That's not the point that was being made. We're talking about a situation where a perpetual (non-subscription based) license has been purchased and the possibility exists where that license may be unintentionally terminated at some point in the future when the software becomes unavailable for download. This could happen for a number of reasons such as the company going out of business, or as you mention the game is pulled from the App store.

As unlikely as that may be today, this week, or in 4 years - the possibility still exists and the software license you paid for is indeed perpetual and should not be limited by how long Company X supports and provides access to the software.

2. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    aight thanks.... btw at and app store price point, most of the premium games are worth it, but if you were to buy all the games that were worth it, then everyone would be broke except for the game companies and those holding their stocks haha. its mostly if it is something you want to pay...

btw, its not really a bad thing... their sales are just so they can give popularity to old games, which means theey want u to buy it. Holidays are just an excuse for the sales

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There's no such thing as a perpetual license in software -- the publishers reserves the right to cancel it or change the terms at any time. Again, read the fine print. The difference is, of course, that with disks you have a physical product that they can't literally take away from you. But that doesn't mean that you "own" the software, which is the word dyscode was using.

4. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    i dont condone stealing but to those that think by having the full game via IAP prevents pirating, it still can be done easily.

5. *Sincere*

*Sincere* Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Boring...More discussion of gameplay less discussion of IAP :)

6. Taragon

Taragon Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I agree more talk about the game from those that have it. The iTunes reviews on this games will be useless because it will be just people giving it 1 start because they are mad they can't steal it.

7. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Lol that's a downside isn't it? What's to stop people from mass-rating it 1 star? :rolleyes:
    Most sensible people won't decide what game to buy based on the purely garbage reviews in iTunes, but a lot of people will still read them anyways, after all the reviews are right there on the buy page.

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Wait I thought you weren't buying it - which means why care and read the thread?

9. *Sincere*

*Sincere* Active Member

Feb 2, 2011
    U.S.A.
    even tho I won't be buying it. I'm still a gamer and don't mind hearing other peoples impressions of it :p

10. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    People are never happy unless they have something to bitch about, first it was "No Retina support? i'm not buying it then:mad:" Then it was "Why doesn't every developer use the Unreal Engine so everything looks as good as Infinty Blade?:mad:" and now we have a new reason to hate new releases cause they have in app purchases:mad:...

I thought these threads were to post impressions of the games? not for whining people bitch about stuff, I have wasted 30 minutes of my life trawling through this thread hoping to find some impressions of the game and have probably encountered about 5 or 6 posts that actually mention the gameplay mechanics, graphics and suchlike or indeed anything worthwhile pertaining to the game in question.

Honestly if you guys are that unhappy about having what is essentially a lite version of the game without having to wait for the developer to release a lite version so you can try before you buy then why dont you go and start an argument on the comments thread on the Youtube video of it? Thats where most of the kids hang out these days.

11. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    The animations don't really look that good in the video.

12. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Not a new reason for many. I am not to the point of never buying IAP content. I would just choose another option if I could. One of the main concerns I have is that I will not be able to access the IAP content in the future. If a game gets pulled by Apple (who knows why but it has happened in the past so it *could* happen) then full games I will still be able to re-install because I have all the content on my PC to reinstall it. In App Purchases would not be able to be restored if the iTunes service does not have it anymore.

I am aware that iTunes has a backup process that can restore content back to your phone but that does not work in all cases.

13. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Amen

14. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Wait til 11 PM until it is released then. Apparently the debate of IAP will be raging until then, never to be solved, then mysteriously erased by a mod who takes pity on our souls.

I totally agree with you though I did find in addition to the handful of game posts a few hilarious ones that actually made the read worthwhile.

But you forgot the OUTRAGE when Angry Birds released a new app - as NON IAP! Can people make up their minds? Don't want this as IAP; but DO want Angry Birds or Robot Unicorn Attack TO BE IAP.

All the whining has been about has been purely of the self serving nature - I can't track a sale. I can't get a promo code (yes you can, it's been done with a few games I have - depends how they set it up).

But one that sticks is that if for some reason the app is pulled and you delete it you lose it. Well the same is true if you don't save the apps on your computer. There have been other times where someone deleted the file; or their computer crashed; or insert scenario here - and the app got pulled and they were screwed.

And another reason that anyone could be upset about this is if you own an iPod Touch and are not within wireless range when you want to upgrade to the full version. You can't do it via a computer so you have to wait until you are within range and by then you might not want it anymore.

If people are enraged enough about this then tell Gameloft about it on their twitter or email; not going to get solved here - considering the thread er debate will just get decontaminated anyway.

15. COHagan23

COHagan23 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    I hate to continue this digression but a bit of what's been said is simply not true. There most certainly is such a thing as a perpetual software license. Sadly, since some brilliant marketing exec realized that pay-as-you-go or subscription based licensing is grossly more profitable, perpetual licenses are less common, especially for certain types of software.

It's also false that a publisher can arbitrarily cancel or change the terms of a license that has already been sold. That can typically only be done when a violation of the terms of the license has occurred. The licensee has rights too. I have experience with this both as a user and as a software product manager.

16. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    I will give it a shot, but gameloft's screwed. This game will not be higher than 3 stars guranteed

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #117 awp69, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    I think there is a way for developers to give out codes for IAP purchases. I remember that game TipTop had the ability to press a button and enter a code to upgrade to full version via IAP (Didn't seem to always work correctly if you didn't do it in a certain order, but it did work). Don't know if it's through Apple, but it is possible.

18. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I think not being able to get the game free (via promo) is a really poor reason to bash on IAP. Some of the other reasons have some validity though. But you'd still be paying far less than people do for MMOs that go under and therefore can no longer be played.

Hmm, I just continued the IAP discussion. I am guilty...

19. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I think the IAP is a brilliant idea.

It gives you a lite version without having two separate apps to submit. Which keeps the store clean

Its a great way to ward of pirating....(if the pirating scene is still even thriving)

If you like the app you buy it and make it full....no extra downloads which equal space and time.

20. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Then again....if I buy a full app I can back it up to my hard drive and it's mine forever....Idk if i can't do that with this and still have the entire game opened if I decide to redownload....they might have to verify it every time...

That might suck for the consumer but on the business side of things it seems like a smart move by GL