Universal Poker Heroes - Poker RPG Mashup (by Fat Rascal Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by FatRascal, Sep 8, 2015.

1. FatRascal

FatRascal Member

Apr 24, 2014
    #1 FatRascal, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015

Poker Heroes: Brawl, Evolve, Dominate! BCG

Jam City, Inc.
    Are you ready for world domination? Jump into the fray as you command a devastating squad of heroes in card-battling com…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Are you ready for world domination? Jump into the fray as you command a devastating squad of heroes in card-battling combat. To survive you need to build, train and upgrade your soldiers, defeat and capture your enemies and work with other commanders to achieve ultimate victory! NOTE! Poker Heroes is free to download and play, however some items can be downloaded for real money. If you do not want to use this feature you may disable in-app purchases in your device settings. Also, per the terms of service, you must be at least 13 years of age to download and play Poker Heroes. A network connection is required to play Poker Heroes. In the not-too-distant future, Earth is caught in the crossfire between warring alien species fighting for dominance of our galaxy. In the epic battle that ensued, there were no victors and only a few survivors. Discovered amidst the wreckage were strange new technologies and powerful elemental materials that have taken warfare on Earth to a frightening new level. In Poker Heroes, card battles pit your Team against waves of fierce enemies and ever increasing challenges. Play your strongest hand and watch the battle unfold in glorious first-person detail. Rain death and destruction upon your foes! Capture your defeated enemies and enlist them in the fight. Spend your hard-won loot to upgrade your forces. Your friend’s allied commanders will assist in your battles and share in the fruits of your victories. FEATURES: * Innovative poker based card-battling RPG game play * Over 800 heroic characters to collect and evolve * Over 100 story missions and dozens of daily events * Compelling Player vs. Player battles * Battle through unique 3D environments to defeat 30+ challenging bosses * Three heroic factions with hundreds of powerful skills to use and master * Challenge players online in rewarding player vs. player fortress battles * Ally with friends during combat for shared glory and rewards * Superior squad management interface makes upgrading and evolving a breeze
    Information
    Seller:Jam City, Inc.
    Genre:Card, Role Playing
    Release:Sep 02, 2015
    Updated:Mar 30, 2016
    Version:2.06
    Size:152.8 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (3)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Hello TouchArcade - Fat Rascal is an indie studio who've been working on Poker Heroes for the last year or so. We're incredibly proud of the way it's turned out so please give it a look!

:cool:

2. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I found this in the app store. You should try to post a link (I can't from this computer)-the app description shows the publisher so I wasn't sure if it was your game until I downloaded and opened it-but I really like it! It was easy to learn and I still have to figure out all the nuances but it looks very promising. I can always use help with my poker game. Good luck!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines

Poker Heroes: Brawl, Evolve, Dominate! BCG

Jam City, Inc.
    Are you ready for world domination? Jump into the fray as you command a devastating squad of heroes in card-battling com…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Are you ready for world domination? Jump into the fray as you command a devastating squad of heroes in card-battling combat. To survive you need to build, train and upgrade your soldiers, defeat and capture your enemies and work with other commanders to achieve ultimate victory! NOTE! Poker Heroes is free to download and play, however some items can be downloaded for real money. If you do not want to use this feature you may disable in-app purchases in your device settings. Also, per the terms of service, you must be at least 13 years of age to download and play Poker Heroes. A network connection is required to play Poker Heroes. In the not-too-distant future, Earth is caught in the crossfire between warring alien species fighting for dominance of our galaxy. In the epic battle that ensued, there were no victors and only a few survivors. Discovered amidst the wreckage were strange new technologies and powerful elemental materials that have taken warfare on Earth to a frightening new level. In Poker Heroes, card battles pit your Team against waves of fierce enemies and ever increasing challenges. Play your strongest hand and watch the battle unfold in glorious first-person detail. Rain death and destruction upon your foes! Capture your defeated enemies and enlist them in the fight. Spend your hard-won loot to upgrade your forces. Your friend’s allied commanders will assist in your battles and share in the fruits of your victories. FEATURES: * Innovative poker based card-battling RPG game play * Over 800 heroic characters to collect and evolve * Over 100 story missions and dozens of daily events * Compelling Player vs. Player battles * Battle through unique 3D environments to defeat 30+ challenging bosses * Three heroic factions with hundreds of powerful skills to use and master * Challenge players online in rewarding player vs. player fortress battles * Ally with friends during combat for shared glory and rewards * Superior squad management interface makes upgrading and evolving a breeze
    Information
    Seller:Jam City, Inc.
    Genre:Card, Role Playing
    Release:Sep 02, 2015
    Updated:Mar 30, 2016
    Version:2.06
    Size:152.8 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (3)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

4. FatRascal

FatRascal Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks! Apparently I borked the app link, let me see if I can fix it.

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Looks great! Though to be brutally honest, online poker games aren't my thing because I think of poker as casual pick up and play anywhere games, which this can't be. I don't have good wifi or data either.

6. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    #6 PBSNellie, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    I spent some time with this at lunch and I have to say the devs have really thought things through. This game goes much deeper than I expected. There are energy timers but they don't seem like a huge obstacle so far-it looks like the energy replenishes at a very reasonable rate that makes me think that the devs want me to keep playing the game (as opposed to AB2 and Pokemon Shuffle). Even if you don't make a poker hand the cards have an attack value so you still get attack points in. The only thing Im slightly confused about is the troop type and how it relates to the card suits so that I can effectively manage my deck, but I'm sure that will come with practice.. You guys did a great job, I hope this game gets some recognition.

I started an Add-Me thread in that forum section.

7. firsttouchgame

firsttouchgame Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2015
  8. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    I remember playing this maybe year ago, its been in soft launch for that length of time good to see it now out

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I have never seen my battery burn away faster. On an iP6, from 100% to 70% in 15 minutes. Holy craperoli.

10. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA

Ive been playing on iPad Air, haven't seen this problem (yet?)...

11. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    wasn't paying attention to my battery before I started playing this so can't comment on that yet, but I'll check it out later on.

I'm really enjoying the game and mechanics tho. graphics are nice too. we'll see how long I stuck with it but first impressions are very good.

12. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Due to all the iap I won't be trying this but what happened to swords and poker made me sick I still play the heck out of swords and poker 2 I wish someone would make a premium game like this

13. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    This is a pretty neat game 30 minutes in. They don't do a very good job of explaining that the Rock Paper Scissors element doesn't come into play until you acquire additional cards (ie, they tell you about it at the wrong time), and the way skills charge and are used is a bit obtuse. That said, it is a pretty cool blend of poker and card collector and no immiediate pay wall in sight yet.

14. FatRascal

FatRascal Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback Talaen! We are working on finding a better way of integrating the affinity (rock/paper/scissors) system better into the game so that it's more clear. Also I hear your point about the skill system. It's a tricky thing to communicate but we're still iterating on it.

Thanks for playing!

15. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    I'm getting a surprising amount of enjoyment out of this one. There's just something about setting up a straight to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat that I find appealing.

There's a certain feeling of sameness to the units, since everything seems to have a Red/Blue/Green/Yellow version as well as several levels of "wardrobe upgrade". But it makes it easier to plan a strategy, because you can tell at-a-glance what skills will be used against you.

It takes awhile to get moving - you're pretty much going to auto-win everything in the first six levels, and I'm not seeing an immediate paywall after that. If anything, there's a goldwall (standard currency dropped by enemies), because the game follows the tried-and-true formula where the cost to upgrade is based off the CURRENT character level (100 x level per unit used). So you have to make the most of your upgrades or you'll be spending 10,000+ gold to finish off the last couple levels.

Like others, I still don't really get what "charges" your skill uses. I know you can use boost coins to add points before you play the card, but I don't know what makes the card START with points. Color synergy from what you've already played, maybe?

To explain the Rock/Paper/Scissors system, it might work better as an in-game tutorial. When you get to Stage 3-1, explain how it works there, mention that "at this point, most of your cards are probably Yellow. Yellow cards are Neutral - they will always deal and take the same amount of damage from other cards." Then give the player an automatic Blue CPU ally that they pick before entering the fight, have the Blue Joker appear in the first round and show how Blue does double damage to Red cards.

Blue ---> Red ---> Green ---> Blue is almost a "rule" of mobile gaming at this point :), so if anything's confusing it would be that Yellow is neutral instead of having a Yellow <---> Purple relation.

16. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm still trying to understand all the nuisances to this game such as exactly what adding a person/card as an ally means... Trying to understand if after battles my money increases but my poker chips might be battle specific? I'm sure I'll get it the more I play...

I have to admit that in totally addicted to the straight forward and repetitive (in a good way) gameplay!!! It is just fun!

Main problem is it is an online only game which I hate and ultimately know I likely won't play this in the long run. I am NOT a fan of free to play online only with timers. I totally wish this was a premium game.

This reminds me of nameless hackers (I think is the name) but that isn't as good with the mechanics but is fun and not online or free to play!

I do miss swords and poker as someone else mentioned as well and am bummed it changes as well.

Developers... Please continue to consider non free to play games and instead consider premium and if necessary added IAP for expansions etc...

While game like badlands are rare with your success their model got tons of purchases upfront and subsequently tons of free content. While different game and this one might be a more for a specific style gamer the idea is getting a great game (which you have) off the ground and letting it gain more interest and decide what Iap you may need with a mix of extra free content.

Love the game but won't be for me in the long run.

Remember people do travel and on planes we all don't choose to buy the wifi etc...

17. batmessiah

batmessiah Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    R&D Lab Technician
    I'm running the public beta of iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 Plus, and I really want to play, but it seems to be permanently stuck on the initial loading screen.

Any ideas on how to get passed it? I've deleted it and reinstalled, rebooted, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

18. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    well I'm really loving this game, so much I've bought some iap like the starter set for 3.99 and I was thinking it would be a keeper that stayed on my phone but that's looking very unlikely now as the app has grown to be 600mb so far and I don't know why as it started off much smaller.
    unfortunately I just don't have the space on my 16g phone for games this size.
    which is why I had to delete card crawl.
    such a shame I really like this.
    when can't card games be smaller file size?

19. FatRascal

FatRascal Member

Apr 24, 2014
    Our game does have a lot of content, mind you, in the form of new cards and enemies. We choose to download that as needed so that you aren't faced with a huge initial download. Also it helps us be flexible and do special events with special card backs without having to release a new build.

That said, dang! 600mb is pretty big. What kind of phone do you have? Your phone's OS should clear it's cache every once in awhile but it doesn't sound like that's happening.

20. Bone16

Bone16 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Excellent game! Spent many hours so far... I didn't see that add me column you started Nellie.. So add me: BigB0ner#