Has Zynga met their match? (EA sues Zynga for copyright infringement.)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dclose, Aug 3, 2012.

1. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    #1 dclose, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    Fight fire with fire, lol

It's nice to see two juggernauts go at it. Both games are crappy, but Zynga is just so notorious for copying over and over again, it's nice to see them challenged.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I wouldn't say Sims social is crappy. I rather liked it, it took me back to the days I was playing the original Sims. Never tried Zynga's version though.

Whatever the outcome, hopefully this'll make Zynga try a LITTLE to mask the blatant copying they've been doing.

4. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    #4 RebelBinary, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
    I apologize in advance for being harsh

The problem I had with the sims and in particular simcity social is they are empty hollow gameplay experience masquerading as real games. The deeper game mechanics of the original are missing. You decorate a space and click on things to collect coins so you can get more things to decorate. It caters to our often irrational reward-gratification impulses.

I admit I liked frontiere ville and farmville when they first came out, but I came to realize that the only game I was playing was showing up on time to collect the rewards.

5. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
  6. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    I've made this prediction on a couple of other sites, but my bet is on this case getting settled out of court with Zynga paying out EA and doing an update to the Ville to address the most egregious cloning issues. Yeah I know, that would basically be the entire game.

They're not going to take down The Ville though and the only people who win if this drags out are the lawyers.

DP

7. PodCubed

PodCubed Active Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Australia
    It was interesting that EA had placed in the lawsuit about Nimblebit and Tiny Tower, and I think it was mentioned somewhere that EA knows the other companies don't have the collateral to go against Zynga but they do. Would be interesting to see how it pans out.

8. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mike Schramm ‏had this comment to make, pretty damn funny.

@mikeschramm

"Well, stock prices are down and our audience is dropping, but at least things can't get any worse. Oh hey, what's this envelope from EA?"

9. Devcade

Devcade Member

Feb 23, 2012
    #9 Devcade, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
    I don't care much for EA or Zynga, but for the sake of having the freedom to create clones,
    EA should lose. You can't copyright an idea, game rules, or game play.

A big company like Zynga that has millions of dollars shouldn't be creating clones in the first place.
    Leave that alone for the little guys.

10. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    The "little guys" should also be clever enough to create their own innovative games too

Nobody can blame developers (especially the little guys) of copying base ideas or mechanics, but there is no excuse for ignoring opportunities to innovate and trying something different at the same time

Copying something outright (creating clones) is just plain greedy and cheap.

Entirely my own opinion

11. Jason Stark

Jason Stark Active Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    If an indie makes a clone, I guessing it would get no respect from fellow indies, no fans willing to promote it and no traction from the gaming press. We'd also have no money for lawyers for legal protection.

You need a ton of money to afford a lack of creativity. :)