Star Command (Game Dev Story meets Star Trek)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wuzmaname

wuzmaname Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    You have to had supported them in kickstarter initially to get this..

2. justincoombs21

justincoombs21 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    DESIGNER
    NYC
    Flerp

We are looking into including an in-game store - with items that you can earn in-game or buy buying them in packs.

It enables us to make the initial price of the game cheaper.

3. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Haven't read much of this thread, when is this supposed to release?

(it's been in the upcoming games forever)

4. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    This is the one statement that means I won't be buying the game ever.
    Such a letdown.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Wait, so if they said that the game will cause your iDevice to explode, then you *would* buy the game? Are you *sure* there's only one?

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Could a Mod please remove Game Dev Story from the Thread Title since this Kickstarter funded Freemium Game is becoming more and more a Game that has absolutly nothing in common with any Kairosoft Title (iAP,...). Thanks!

7. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    What!? IAPs? NOOOOOO! Seriosly guys, make two versions or whatever. I will gladly pay 5 bucks for a great game. Do whatever you must, but no IAPs.

8. casualty

casualty Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    so tired of people whinging about IAPs. so, so tired.

9. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Just because you don't mind being nickel and dimed and treated like a cash cow doesn't mean everyone else should bend over. I agree it's a bit tired seeing the iap thing pop up so much in forums but you can thank soulless dev's for that . I had a high anticipation for this game, but I've gone from ten to zero. Shame. I would also support a non iap version which cost more I would pay six bucks for it too. But not like this.

10. casualty

Mar 24, 2010
    you're right. we shouldn't be forced to spend money on optional items. fascist developers. they should just implement ad support to recoup development costs for ongoing updates.

11. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Hate IAP with a passion. Makes it so much worse when the devs have raised so much as a kick starter but then shoe in IAP just before launch after its spent.

12. casualty

Mar 24, 2010
    Im not a fan of poorly handled IAPs or games that are balanced to push you on to it. Some IAPs can provide meaningful content in a balanced way. So far the developers have just said that the items can be earned in game. I'd rather wait to see/hear an better explanation of how the IAP system will work before crying foul.

Also, the developers were pretty honest in this article about the kickstarter money:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-sci-fi-meets-gamedev-story-for-ios-an/posts/208395

13. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    #593 Cromwell, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    Why this...? Do you want to go the Zynga way?
    Any leaderboards would be worthless, because you can pay to be on top.
    This is something which prevents from playing a lot of games, because there is no fair competition!

And how much more expensive would the game be, if you do not use this "cash cow" money making system?
    For good game I am really willing to pay a fair price, especially when it sports new game ideas as yours.

As I said a lot of times before, add an auction house (like Diablo 3) and trading between players. I think you would sell more. Players like the idea of finding "treasures", which could have some "value".

I feel really disappointed and somehow betrayed by this news!

14. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Ugh! No! Not worth it! Go full price, I beg you.

15. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Geez, people. Just don't click on the store icon, if you don't want to use it. :rolleyes:

16. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I love easy answers. They offer no real solution while simultaneously creating the illusion that people are idiots for having concerns or opinions.

Personally, I think IAP is going to cheapen the perception of this product without achieving the goal the developers are after: presumably mass appeal. If you feel like what you're offering folks is worth more than what you think you can price the game at, consider spacing the project out into two separate games to release a few weeks/months apart from each other.

'Tis your game, but I'm pretty sure you're not on TA to get your head pat. I'm thinking you want honest feedback from potential customers. This game seems like something that would appeal to the savvy iOS gamer, not necessarily the casual iOS crowd. Whatever the reason (and let's just blame Glu to keep things simple), most folks loathe the idea of IAP on principle alone. Trying to change perception with "just don't click on the store" isn't going to do squat for a game's sales. It's as simple as dollars and cents.

17. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010

[​IMG]

18. BigDrahma

BigDrahma Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 8, 2009
    You already took my Kickstarter cash so you don't give a crap about me but I won't be buying this game if it has IAP.

Good luck, but Team Hookers and Blow does not approve.

19. Doctorossi

Doctorossi Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Talk about 'easy answers'- what an empty, unexplained response. How is it not a real solution? They're going to include an in-game store in which you can purchase items that you would otherwise earn through gameplay. Would you rather earn those items through gameplay than buy them? Don't go to the store. Seems to me about as simple and "real" a solution as I could possibly imagine.

Personally, I have no real difficulty ignoring stores that I don't want to shop at, but what, to you, would constitute a "real" solution here?

20. wuzmaname

wuzmaname Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    #600 wuzmaname, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
    I get the temptation to put IAP into it, but I honestly do not think you will have a problem with the pricing. Those who like the idea of your game would spend the amount (that you consider "too expensive" to market out - whatever that is). Incorrect marketing would cheapen the game, one which you obviously took considerable amount of time and effort into making, not to mention the attention you have received from us here in this forum and those from kickstarter! That said, I recall very early on the forums (first few pages), one of you guys mentioned the price point would be around the 2.99 - 3.99 mark? Has that changed?

In short, in my humble opinion, I don't think making the game cheaper is really the objective? What I am trying to say is, I can deal with it if you tell me you need to recuperate your investment, but just don't spin it.