Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont think there is, seriously cant play it in portrait ? Think pinball games have to be portrait due to the pinball table itself

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    As long as they have the full local leaderboards I'm good. Global leaderboards are a nice extra and, I agree, Facebook based is kind of weak, but then again GC and OF have major issues as well (GC with it's hard limit of no more than 25 leaderboards for a game and somehow making it nearly impossible for devs to cull hacked scores and OF simply being poorly maintained now).

For one company to deliver this game on every platform is a tall order so I think it is safe to assume there will be some bumps in the road but at least with the iOS version they KNOW they can release updates on the fly for better optimization of the main engine (not like they can make drastic changes, but I'm willing to bet framerate issues can be smoothed out a bit in a few updates).

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yep, the game has both landscape and portrait orientations. There are also three camera angles, each of which can be toggled between scrolling and locked.

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Uhhhhhh....this needs its own thread. With pictures...and is making me question why I didn't buy an iCade for half price when I had the chance.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well he modded his own icade to have buttons on the side, obviously not in the normal icade you buy. Plus i dont think most of the pinball games are icade compatible so he must have jailbreaked his device or used another method to get it working with the icade

If the icades half price i cant see why people dont buy it instantly, superb piece of kit

6. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    :D

was holding out on Age of Pinballs, and this comes along... i think this is the one I'm getting XD

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I understand he modded the iCade, hence why I think it should have its own thread and needs pictures. Bed Bath and Beyond was selling them half off a while back. I didn't buy one, because I don't generally play anything that would be compatible. But if I could have played pinball with one, I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

8. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    #28 famousringo, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    Sometimes I wonder if the feel of the table isn't because it's a bad simulation, but rather because it's simulating a table configured in a way you'd rarely see in the real world.

For example, the real tables that I've sunk the most time into had their legs adjusted to the highest slope and old rubber. The high slope speeds up how fast the ball comes down, making it less floaty and more challenging (so the arcade owner gets more quarters). The old rubber is stiff so the ball doesn't bounce around as much.

Pinball Arcade is probably simulating a table with the recommended slope setting and fresh rubber, making everything feel floatier and bouncier than the table at a real arcade is likely to be.

9. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    if this isn't several orders of magnitude better than AOP I'll be pretty surprised (and dissappointed)...

10. MJFox

MJFox Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Vienna, Austria
  11. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    No i can't . Way too Cramped for my hands,i can't play any game that requires both hands in portrait mode,and i know i'm not the only one.
    Thanks Appletini, great to hear!

12. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Aren't the tables much more expensive than annouced? Somwhere I read the tables would be around 0,99 and 1,99US Dollar, but the New Zeland Prices seem to be much higher.

13. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    BH is US$1.99 (NZ$2.59), ToM is US$2.99 (NZ$4.19), and Ripley's is US$3.99 (NZ$5.29).

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have to say that I will disappointed if the physics are as floaty as Pinball Hall of Fame is. I was hoping they'd improve the physics. I'll reserve judgement until I try it myself, though.

15. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    I don't find the feel of the PS3 version particularly floaty at all...

16. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    hey Sanuku... if you've played Age of Pinballs.... which one would you recommend the most?

i have Zen Pinball on my ps3 so i don't need it on the ipod, but i want a pinball game... it's either AoP or this...

17. famousringo

Jul 25, 2011
    And they're all worth it. Hell, I've probably put well over a hundred dollars into a good table.

Hmmm, four plays on a real Ripley's or infinite plays on a virtual Ripley's...

18. famousringo

Jul 25, 2011
    Hm, and I think I get why Farsight opted for Facebook leaderboards. It's so their leaderboards can span all the diverse platforms that they're planning on bringing this game to, from iOS, to Windows, to 3DS, to PS3. Though I wonder if some of those consoles will allow Farsight to hook up to external networks like that.

But screw all those lesser platforms, where's the Game Center integration? :p

19. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The games all play in moonball mode. On 360 and Wii, and I have to presume it's the same on the PS3, but can't vouch for it. The physics are good, it's just that the games play in slow motion due to what is probably just a too flat (virtual) playfield angle. Sure the ball moves fast if it hits a bumper, but not due to gravity. If you play real pinball machines and PHoF, you will likely notice it pretty clearly. Zen is actually way better in this regard, but Zen is too repetitive and unrealistic in that way, and annoyingly so. Also the game designs in Zen are pretty crappy, which isn't a shock. Pinball Arcade will have the great game designs, but I had hoped it would not play in moonball mode like HoF does.