Let's have at it: What's the *best* vertical shooter?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tosui, Mar 5, 2009.

1. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm a fan of 1941 & 1942, and I've been looking for a good port. I'm still looking :p

It seems like vertical shooters (shmup type) on the iPhone are either:

1) Automatically shooting (e.g,. SpaceX, SkyThunder (lite), Sky Force) (Personally, I find these games to be basically "dodge" games - not shooters since I'm not shooting - the AI is!!)

2) You shoot (e.g., SkyFighter lite, Blue Skies (lite)) (I prefer these, because as the player, I'm doing more! I like tapping frantically :D)

I know there are many other shmups in the App Store, but I think I've named a few of the better ones. So the question remains:

What is the best vertical shooter?

2. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
  3. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Well played.

(Seriously though, Zen Bound needs more missiles.)

4. ChrisJefferson

ChrisJefferson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
  5. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Sentry Alpha!

6. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    First of all, tosui, I commend you on impeccable taste. I've suggested in at least two different reviews I've done of vertical shooters that people should study the likes of 1942 before making their own. I would say the closest I've seen so far on the iPhone is Sentry Alpha, though from my experience on the PocketPC you'd probably like Skyforce as well if you haven't already played it. Personally, I'm hoping we see either Claygun or DragonBird one of these days. Despite the popular opinion towards Skyforce Reloaded, I thought Claygun was the best shooter to hit the PocketPC.

7. TRIPLE BEAM DREAM

TRIPLE BEAM DREAM Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Door County
    second that :D

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #8 Big Albie, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009

Triple that...no pun intended Triple Beam Dream :)

Disclaimer: haven't played SkyForce yet.

9. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Good one.. lol

10. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Actually I have not found my perfect vertical shooter game yet. I used to play this arcade vertical shooter game where you collect powerup orbs and they get attached to the back of your plane (like a snake game). There are different kinds of powerup orbs and each gives you different powers (higher attack, different kind of attack, missiles, etc).

Basically, I like my plane to be really powerful when playing these games. And I dont see this in any of the current games. SpaceX is interesting because you have many things to buy, but it becomes more of a resource management / strategy thing. Whereas all I want to do is collect gazillion powerups and shoot everything thats on the screen :-D

11. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    The biggest problem I had with SpaceX was that the game play was pretty standard, so the fun came in getting power ups to your weapons. Once you were maxed out in that area, the game really wasn't fun any more.

12. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Yes, second that

13. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    rRootage was the first shooter I d/l on my device, and I still play with it. It's only missing sounds and an save/resume function to make it great.

14. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    why not have a poll?

or even better, a poll dancer can never hurt:D

seriously tho - we should have 2 polls:

1 - vertical shmups as discussed now. Sentry Alpha gets my vote.

2 - 3D flying forward shooters like ExZeus, Zero Chance, Iron Man, Rebel Onslaught, etc...

after checking, it seems as though there are few quality horizontal shooters on our idevices, which were extremely popular over the years - silpheed, gaiares, r-type and soldner-x (awesome! now in the ps3 store) to name a few...

15. iago

iago Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Long Island, New York
    Centipede. I think that's the only one to have the vertical shooter mechanics right.

16. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    I keep meaning to submit a new version of rrootage to the appstore. Had a version that runs full speed sitting on the mac for ages ! Right I'm gonna do that this weekend :). I should also submit noiz2sa too I guess as that is complete too !

17. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    FYI, Blue Skies is not a vert shmup. It's a multidirectional shooter.

Either Sentry Alpha or rRootage.

I'd rank Radio Flare below those two. Yeah, I know Radio Flare is supposed to be a hori shmup...but, honestly, with the way the ship is oriented it looks more like a vert shmup, so that's the way I play it.

Also, that one level of Dragon Force lite is, IMHO, the best example of a vert shmup done right on this platform.

18. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Hey, welcome back to the forum! An updated rRootage would be great...I know I've been looking forward to one. It's still among the best in terms of touch controls.

19. Scottola

Scottola New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    noiz2sa, noiz2sa, I've heard and played that before.

Aaah, ha, it was on my Tapwave Zodiac if I'm not mistaken :)

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hell yeah you should submit noiz2sa. I've been wondering when the hell someone was going to do that.

Other things that should be submitted if permitted by the original dev:

Cho Ren Sha 68K
    Every Extend
    Tomiki Fighters
    Parsec
    Cave Story (I'd kill for an upgraded version of Cave Story, though I guess WiiWare is getting this one)